Roland XP-30 problem

• Members

After an enforced layoff, I fired up my XP-30 and it worked fine the first three times I turned her on. Fourth time, the screen went blank (still illuminated) and although the button lights are behaving as if everything is fine, there's no sound at all - except for the odd distorted screech. I managed to do a factory reset (I think) but still no luck...

Anyone have any idea what's up? Is it worth getting it repaired (who would be able to fix it?) or have a lost a good friend?

Any help gratefully received.

• Members

Oh wow, I've had one of these for 19 or 20 years. Great keyboard and I'd used it a lot. Mine is currently over at the practice space but I haven't been over there to use it since I put in notice to the band to be looking for a replacement back in February. I may be over there in June when I think they may have an audition or two lined up and I'll be taking mine home. It was working fine and I wouldn't expect it to have any problems.

If a master reset isn't helping the first thing I would want to check would be the power supply but I wouldn't really want to start on that without the service manual/schematics. Before I had this one I had an older JV-30 and I was able to get the service info on that one directly from Roland. As an electronic technician by trade I don't think twice about tearing into things like this and probing around but in your case this may not be an option.

In all honesty I don't really foresee using mine much at this point, I've long since acquired newer keyboards with greatly expanded sound memory and storage and it's likely that I wouldn't even spend much time trying to fix mine if it were to break down. I'd probably write mine off as depreciated out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived