SOS Call: Synth/Sequencer

• Members

Back in 1993 or so I purchased a Roland JV-1000 based on recommendations from this forum. I learned how to use it largely through the help of the folks here. As guitar player, the synth and sequencer has served me well producing backing tracks to play guitar over, producing cassettes and later CD's for friends, bandmates and coworkers. Most of these folks are still talking to me so I guess that he music wasn't too offensive.

For years I have blissfully used what is probably very old tech, but it indeed worked and some nice music (given a decided lack of talent) was happily produced.

A few months ago, the JV started to act strangely. The display got screwy and the SEQ out midi connection stopped working, so I took it to the service guy for a battery replacement (long overdue) and a few button repairs. It worked for a month or two and now the display is completely gone on the sequencer part and just gibberish on the synth part. Rather than continue to sink money into a long obsolete piece of equipment, it looks like I need to replace it. So I have returned here to bask in the expert advice and help I enjoyed so long ago with the hope that this new H-C is as effective as it was back then.

The idea is to just replace the workstation with another synth/sequencer. I know that a laptop would be the more modern approach but there is no room for it and the requisite hardware in the "studio". The intent is to simply record parts into the sequencer using the synth engine while also using the keyboard to control the rest of the old modules that all still work (namely Akai 2800 with a whole lot of very useful CD-ROM's, Korg X5DR, Kurzweil Micro Piano, Roland SH-32 and a nicely expanded Roland JV-1080), I would use all of these to load in two tracks on the 8 track portastudio through the mixer and effects and then add the guitar(s) and sometimes even vocals in the remaining tracks, then burning CD's to give to friends and/or bandmates. This will mostly be music music (as opposed to vocal music) and I love synth sounds and sound effects and such to go with my fusion style electric guitar.

I know that this is an outdated method but remember that I am a guitar player and like many, the technology eludes me (hence the simple and easy use of the JV-1000 serving me well al these years)

So what unit should I be looking at? It needs to serve as a MIDI controller, a stand alone synth and have an easy to use sequencer to run all the modules. It would also be nice if it could read the Akai CD Roms but that is probably obsolete by now. I would like it to be Roland (FA-08?) out of an old time loyalty (plus the wife bought me t-shirts) but if there is a better and more cost effective option I would be silly to not consider it.

I really hope you folks can help as I am a bit out of touch these days and I owed a lot of what worked before (and a subsequent draining of my bank account) to the old H-C forum. Hopefully I have described my need adequately.

... and for those who provide answers to this ... mille grazie in advance

• Members
Here's an article that does a pretty good job of covering the currently available synth workstation options...

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/blog/2017/09/18/the-top-7-best-keyboard-workstations/

Thanks so much. I appreciate the reply

I was looking more for opinions or even if I can still operate a bunch of MIDI modules with the sequencer (as opposed to plug-ins). I am leaning towards the FA-08 so I was hoping for some comments from users here.

Best bet as I see it is to simply check out these units for myself in the music store tomorrow.

Funny how this forum has changed so much in the past 25 years. If I posted this when I first joined in the early 90's, there would gave been about 25 different opinions within an hour or two which would have caused at least three nasty arguments and a warning from the moderators :)

• Members

so .....

I went to both GC and Sam Ash today and am no further along. GC didn't have much, the salesman just wanted to talk about his guitar playing and the Ash guy was incredibly condescending and essentially told me that MIDI is dead, I am wasting his time and I need to replace everything, not just the JV. Perhaps he is right but it would not make me happy. I'd hate to lose the JV-1080 and all those Akai CD ROMS.

I did get to try out the FA-08, nice keyboard ! I would love weighted keys. However, I tried playing with the sequencer and still have no idea if I can use it to do what I described above. Obviously the structure of everything is very different from my old Roland but no way do I want to spend that kind of money without knowing what I need to know.

This whole episode makes me sad. When I first started way back when down this track, there were several forums to ask questions on (anyone old enough to remember CompuServe?) with H-C reviews and advice leading the way. Ash was populated by guys who wanted nothing more than to help (and of course sell) and never talked down to you. Manny's and the rest of 48th St existed and every NAMM was Christmas.

On the outside chance that someone else sees this and is looking for the same answers, I will try to post them here if I can figure it all out

• Members

I own an FA-08, yes you can connect an external module and sequence with them. The sequencer uses studio sets, in a studio set you can add a collection of sounds. All of the internal sounds can be added to a studio set as well as external midi sounds. Here is a video that shows how to use the sequencer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFPzFCfBwIo There are videos showing how to create a studio set

Roland has several tutorials to show you how to use the various features of the board. https://www.roland.com/us/rtv/product_support/fa-06_fa-08_tutorials/ I personally have not used the sequencer with an external module, I have used the sequencer and decided I prefer Software DAW's such as Logic. I have used it to control my D-05 Boutique module. The FA-08 is a powerful workstation and I have barely scratched the surface of what is possible with it.

• Members

I also have the FA-08 and have been gigging with it for a couple years or more now. It is a great keyboard but admittedly I've always been a Roland fan. I've gotten used to the Studio Set way of doing things and I find it to be versatile and fairly intuitive. As kbeumont points out, there are a lot of great videos, particularly the tutorials from Ed Diaz.

I've never used the built-in sequencer on this (or any other board for that matter) as I prefer Digital Performer and other DAWS for that but I have used MIDI extensively. In your case I would probably steer clear of Korg boards because they have an annoying habit of constantly sending out midi time sync data on the midi port (over USB as well). I do like Korg stuff but I've had problems in the past with that constant stream overwhelming older gear unless you're using a MIDI interface such as the MOTU Midi Timepiece where you can filter that out.

Of course there are more sophisticated, feature packed, and expensive boards out there but I chose the FA-08 because I wanted something lighter than say, a Kronos, for slogging to gigs. I've often wished it had multi-sampling but dollar for dollar, it's pretty cool!

• Members

Thanks guys

I ordered one of these this evening and have been overloading on instructional videos since. I'm now in a corner whimpering and sucking my thumb :) There's a lot to learn but it all looks well worth it and shockingly easier than the JV days

Synths sure have come a long way since I bought that ARP Axxe in the 70's though

This is going to be blast

Archived