Keyboards you thought were awesome but now they suck

Crazyfoo

• Members

i remember first time I tried the M-1, I was on the road full time and I thought OMG this is amazing !!

i picked one up couple years ago for a few hundred bucks and I was like “this synth suck ass!!”

i ended up giving it away.

same thing for the D-50, back in the day it was pretty awesome.

it had the perfect sound for “Beds are Burning” and “Touch n go”

i think players starting out now are pretty spoiled and don’t know how good they have it. I started playing gigs pre-MIDI when you had to haul around a mountain of gear and today a Kronos replaces 500 pounds of gear from the 80’s.

will be interesting to see what’s coming.

• Members

I don't have any that went all the way from "awesome" to "suck". Even the Yamaha Electric Grand (a real portable piano) that nobody wants (or needs) to haul around any more doesn't suck.

I went from taking a chance on the house piano to hauling a Fender Rhodes and 100lbs of Twin Reverb around in the '70s. In the '80s it was a DX7 (still have that one), in the mid '90s I played a Yamaha SY-85 before switching to Digital Pianos at the turn of the century.

I bought a Yamaha CP5 six months before it was replaced by the more refinded and much more portable CP4 but I still really like the CP5 even though it is difficult to move around (relatively speaking).

• Members

I picked up a CP-70B from a guy in Vancouver in early October and it’s pretty much the only keyboard I play now.

You’re right, nobody wants them because they were 200+ pounds and I actually moved mine today which wasn’t fun - moved from Revelstoke to Penticton but I don’t think I would want to live without the CP-70 now, it will always have a place in my living room.

• Members

I was using a Kurzweil Midiboard and Pianoteq for awhile, but the Midiboard weighs 90 pounds and hooking up computers at a gig is a nuisance. Then I found a Korg SP250 for a good price that was more than adequate to my mind until I got tired of the sound -- both solo and in bands -- and started to find that the action was slowing me down.

Recently bought a Yamaha P255 and with the right amplification, it sounds better than my upright and *almost* as good as Pianoteq and the action is wonderful, with the result that my playing has improved exactly 23.5% over a year ago and continues to improve as I get used to it. And it weighs 38 pounds, four pounds less than the Korg and less than half the Midiboard. The Korg now lives in my daughter's room and the Midiboard has become my desk-with-keys: I'm sitting at it now.

• Members

My Alesis QS8.1 doesn't suck -- I love the sounds and the fully-weighted keyboard -- but carrying its 84-lb. bulk around in a 14-lb. case with a few extra pounds of stiff in the pockets really started to suck after a few years. Then Alesis went bankrupt, and the new company completely abandoned the QS series, parts and all, which sucked even more. So, I replaced the 84-lb. Alesis with a 24-lb. Roland Jupiter-50. I miss the full 88-key weighted keyboard, but not the weight!

• Members

I hear you about the weight.

My main keyboard is a Kurzweil PC3x but with the flight case, it’s like moving a washing machine.

I think Kurz just came out with what is supposed to be a great sounding piano but very light weight - I will go check that out after the holidays

• Members

I know a guy back in my home town who plays great!

hos only downfall is the dude is poor as dirt and his only keyboard is the M-1.

its so painful hearing him play that disgusting piano sound because he is an exceptional player and then you hear that god awful thin crap piano coming out ... of god.

i want to buy the guy a good keyboard and be done with it.

woildnt bug me if he didn’t play so well but he’s fantastic and that’s why it’s so hard to listen to .

• Members
i remember first time I tried the M-1, I was on the road full time and I thought OMG this is amazing !!

i picked one up couple years ago for a few hundred bucks and I was like “this synth suck ass!!”

i ended up giving it away.

If that M1 was in good shape, you just lost about $700 to $800 by giving it away!

I bought an M1 in 2003 for (what was) the going price of ~$350.

7 years later, I sold it to a Tejano musician in south Texas for $850!

So, I got to play & gig an M1 for 7 years, then made a $500 profit on it!

The folks that LOVE the M1 and will pay good money for it are Tejano musicians from around the Texas/Mexico border. I don't know why (probably the accordion sounds), but that's the one they want.

• Members

I guess ‘loss’ depends on your perspective.

I’ve given lots of gear away over the years and even though I could easily sell things, sometimes it just feels better gifting an item to someone who otherwise might not be able to afford it.

The best one was when I was living in Dawson City Yukon and I posted my upright piano for free. Within minutes I had 20+ people clamouring for it, cash offers over $500.

I ended up giving it to a young family who wanted their 8 year old to learn piano. The mom brought me the best home made banana bread I’ve ever eaten, to me that was more valuable than the money and not what I would call a loss.

Archived