Berhinger DeepMind... Anyone gig with one?

wheresgrant3

• Members

I've been in the market for a gritty Analog synth to use in a progressive side project and the DeepMind for cost and programming blows me away (the only thing closer is the Moog Sub37). I'm using a Kronos, Korg Micro-x (I love that little Rompler pocketknife) and a Bloefeld for drones. All are very cool tools in their own way however I'm still needing some G R I T. I haven't tried one (no dealers near me) and I've read complains about fan noise (fans, shmams) but I'm curious about one thing: quality of build and road wothiness. We gig, we rehearse, I need a synth that can handle light road wear. Berhinger's gear has never failed me before however this is their first synth. I'm worried about knobs, sliders... screen display. If you do transport it, what case have you used? I may just opt for the 12M desktop synth with a controller. But I'm still looking for something that will be decently durable.

Any owners here?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've played the DM and that's why I'm not an owner. In general, It struck me as kind of soft and uninspiring, and I wasn't a fan of the digital fx section. But not being an owner, one might be able to coax some grit out of it. Esp with the oscillators hard sync'd.

I do own a Sub 37 and love it. IMHO it's grittier than the Voyager, and similar to an original Model D.

If a mono synth is cool, you could pick up a used Sub phatty which is essentially the same thing (only 16 presets, minus an LFO and sequencer) for around 6 bills. Man that thing snarls!

Or, although I'm not crazy about the filters, the Arturia Mini or Micro brute are pretty badass and raw.

For Poly, if you can budget it, you might want to wait for the Korg Prologue 16. It only has 1 lfo and no sequencer (has a great arp), BUT: it has 2 analog VCOs that can cross mod, sync, and ring mod, plus a 3rd oscillator that's digital that can do all kinds of sick frequency mod, noise, and user waveforms per voice. On top of that it can stack two programs, (edit/correction) for a total of up to 6 oscillators per voice!

For poly on a budget, although not as gritty as a sub phatty, IMHO I think the Korg Minilogue has more rawness than the DM. It's a bit of a toy, build-wise. And there is the fact that it's only 4 note poly. But with 4 lanes of mod there's a lot you can do with it.

Archived