Need an audio / MIDI interface for your iOS device?

Phil O'Keefe

Phil, did you test this on Auria?

Did you test it with an 2017 iPad Pro?

This is exactly what I need to get back to recording.

But there have been some issues with 2017 iPad Pros & Auria.

No, but if it has a Lightning port, this should work fine with your iPad. :)

But please note that the plugKEY just an audio OUT / MIDI IN interface - there is no MIDI out, and no audio input on the Korg. Works great if you're trying to send MIDI from your DAW running on another computer to drive a virtual instrument running on your iPad. For DAW use with a program like Auria, I suspect you'd want a more fully-featured Audio / MIDI interface, with both MIDI in and out, as well as audio inputs so you can record audio... unfortunately, the plugKEY doesn't support that.

• Members

That could help turn an iPad into a stage rig.

MIDI IN (from a piano for example) and balanced line out to feed monitors/FOH and a power supply.

I have a Yamaha MFC10 programable MIDI foot controller that has a MIDI mixer built in - it combines the MIDI input with the foot controller functions and sends them both out the MIDI OUT jack.

I see great possibilities.

Thanks for the review Phil.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Members

That looks nice, but the price...

I have a OIBTECH MIDI to USB interface (Amazon $18) and and a Baymic Lightning to USB with card reader ($20). Between the two I can send midi from my Sub 37 to my iPad, while keeping the iPad plugged in. Handy for playing that Model 15 app (the closest I'll ever get to a Model 15) ;-) It works the other way too, feeding midi from the iPad to the synth.

My ipad has a headphone jack so I don't need the audio out. Without the headphone jack something like the plugKEY would be necessary.

• Members

I use an Alesis IO Dock II, it has audio and midi both in & out. Plus it charges the iPad. They don't make it anymore. Why I have no idea, it is a very useful device. But I'm sure you can find a used one. I saw one on craigslist recently for only $25.

Phil is your main instrument keys?

No - I started on reeds when I was in middle school, and started adding other instruments as I went along. Today I'm probably at my best on either guitar or bass. I first took piano lessons when I was a junior in high school. I'm a basher - I'm not particularly good from a technical standpoint, although as a producer / engineer, I have a ton of experience with MIDI. I started using it as soon as it came out in the early 1980s, and have never stopped.

Archived