Keyboard spotting: organ at local thrift store

• Members

Looks pretty cool. Normally, non-Hammond home organs do nothing for me. But, that Lowery looks interesting and unique enough to own at the right price. Put a good phaser on anything and it can sound like god. I got rid of all my oddball home organs years ago. But none of them were particularly interesting. If I had room and it was cheap, I'd give that Lowery a shot. It looks like an organ/string machine combo. Groovy.

• Members

Looks pretty cool. Normally, non-Hammond home organs do nothing for me. But, that Lowery looks interesting and unique enough to own at the right price. Put a good phaser on anything and it can sound like god. I got rid of all my oddball home organs years ago. But none of them were particularly interesting. If I had room and it was cheap, I'd give that Lowery a shot. It looks like an organ/string machine combo. Groovy.

Hi tspit,

I hooked it up and played with it for a few minutes. I loved the rhythm section. Bossa nova!!!;)

• Members

Yeah, those old pre-programed rhythms are cool and very useful. They work great when you play real drums against them. The worst drum machines are the ones that sound like drums. That's why my only drum machine is an old CR-78. I'm a drummer with a severe keyboard addiction. When it comes to drums, I've got the real thing covered. But I can't make the real thing sound like crickets, you know?

But treat some of those rhythms with some delay and add some phaser to those strings and you could probably make some killer music that wouldn't sound exactly like everybody else'.

• Members

Yeah, those old pre-programed rhythms are cool and very useful. They work great when you play real drums against them. The worst drum machines are the ones that sound like drums. That's why my only drum machine is an old CR-78. I'm a drummer with a severe keyboard addiction. When it comes to drums, I've got the real thing covered. But I can't make the real thing sound like crickets, you know?

But treat some of those rhythms with some delay and add some phaser to those strings and you could probably make some killer music that wouldn't sound exactly like everybody else'.

I agree. I love those old drums that don't sound like the real drums. As a matter of fact, I SHALL eventually buy that tiny Korg drum machine that Jean-Michel Jarre used in "Oxyg

• Members

The good ones do. Most of the Yamaha Electones are excellent instruments, with velocity sense and sometimes aftertouch. Some of them even have horizontal aftertouch, which is great for pitch bending! And they should be good. They are, after all, descended from greatness:

yamaha_cs_80.jpg

yamaha-gx1-1.jpg

uToob has lots of Electone viddies. Personally, I wouldn't give more than $30 for that Lowrey. I'd wait for a $50 Electone, like maybe an FS spinet. I just sold a mint FS500 for $500. (I got it for much less. ;) Thrift stores FTW!)

• Members

I've seen a few Lowreys in "antique" junk shops and thrift stores, they look cool but I always figured they had to be crappy. They are kinda big too, not sure I would ever get one. Do want a preset drum machine, didn't Jarre use a Korg MiniPops?

I like that the slider caps look like pills on this one. And that it has a "Break Dance" rhythm, must be from the 80s

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plink Floyd viewpost.gif

I just sold a mint FS500 for $500. (I got it for much less. ;) Thrift stores FTW!)

lol:cop:
:D

:lol: No need for nightstick knockery. I invested several hours of refurberation into it, mainly keybed de-clackerage (new felt).

Sold it to a guy who has three others of the same model. He plays solo tuxedo gigs at trade shows & such. I guess he wants to make

sure he can find parts, as the years go by...

Very neat machine, though. I probably would have kept it, had it been a console. But, nah. Irresistable forces would have compelled

me to choose between it and the A-105.

yamaha-electone-fs-5001.jpg

• Members

That's fantastic, PF. Looks immaculate. Great job!

It also looks like a sci-fi instrument from a vintage era. Standing next to it, Mr. Spok would look so logical:lol:

I only opened a synth once. But I fixed all 3 problems: unlit LCD, broken key, and loose floppy drive belt.

[YOUTUBE]QIgVlyNCB-c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I never heard of this brand. I found their website and read that it's a division of Kawai. But I couldn't find any information about this model.

I've heard of Lowrey organs before. They remind me of an experience that no longer exists: the mall home organ store.

In several malls around here, you could find a music store that mainly sold home organs and maybe a piano or two. But it was the home organ that was always blasted from the store. No matter what time of day, you could walk by and find some organist playing old timey polkas and foxtrots over one of those cheesy rhythm presets. The perfect soundtrack for heading towards the JC Penny, I guess.

Anyway, according to "the mother of all home organ lists" the D-360 (model #) was built in 1986. It was Hohner designed; Lowrey built. DS-1 is the model name. I have no idea on the technology involved etc.

• Members

I've heard of Lowrey organs before. They remind me of an experience that no longer exists: the mall home organ store.

In several malls around here, you could find a music store that mainly sold home organs and maybe a piano or two. But it was the home organ that was always blasted from the store. No matter what time of day, you could walk by and find some organist playing old timey polkas and foxtrots over one of those cheesy rhythm presets. The perfect soundtrack for heading towards the JC Penny, I guess.

Anyway, according to "
" the D-360 (model #) was built in 1986. It was Hohner designed; Lowrey built. DS-1 is the model name. I have no idea on the technology involved etc.

Thanks for the info, Soundwave:)

• Members

MIDI IN & OUT on the back, and what looks like 2 handles on either side:

organ13.jpg

Tag on the underside of the lower manual. Notice it says model "D-360", whereas it's "DS-1" on the organ's front panel. :confused:

organ14.jpg

organ15.jpg

organ16.jpg

organ17.jpg

organ18.jpg

Bonus pics, lol

yamaha1d.jpg

yamaha2.jpg

Reporting to you from where poor people shop. Mediterranean signing off:)

• Members

uToob has lots of Electone viddies. Personally, I wouldn't give more than $30 for that Lowrey. I'd wait for a $50 Electone, like maybe an FS spinet. I just sold a mint FS500 for $500. (I got it for
much
less.
;)
Thrift stores FTW!)

lolol PF. Please sit down and take a very very deep breath because....

organ02.jpg

When I saw the price, I turned around to make sure I was at Guitar Center, not a "thrift" shop:lol:

Major :facepalm: at using a marker on a nice piece of musical furniture. The people who work there are definitely not KSSers. And what's with the 3 marks under the "99"? Like "Hey! It's LESS than $981.00!!" or something? lol.

Archived