Synth pad / sound effects triggers for live use?

• Members

I am trying to figure out the best way to integrate synth pads, soundscapes, and sound effects in a live situation where I don't need to use my laptop or an actual synthesizer keyboard since I'll be playing guitar.

Something that involves pads or something that I can quickly and easily trigger while I'm playing my guitar.

Am I looking for a sequencer or a sampler? Not sure where to start.

Maybe a looper with presets that I could program at home on my computer and dump onto a looper to be triggered live?

Not sure where to start here. Also, if there is a better board to ask this question, that would be helpful. Figured I'd first try to tap the knowledge base here though.

• Members

As you have realized, there are many ways to do the same thing. You can use a sampler like the https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SP404SX or you can use a looper/phrase sampler. My suggestion is the looper pedal such as https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JamManStereo this one I own. Samplers with sequencers are best used for drum beats with a simple bass pattern that is repeated or single event things like a whip crack or thunderclap etc. They are used by many DJs and rappers and for creating 'beats'. But as you can see lots of buttons. You want something that can store lots of different things and call them up without taking your hands off the guitar. For this simplicity is best. The JamMan I have with the optional 32GB SDHC card can store over 16 hours of CD-quality audio in 99 additional memories. Meaning you could store something for every song in your set and call them up in set order. USB lets you connect to the JamManager Loop Librarian software to organize and archive your loops. So you could add a backing track, pad, drums whatever you want. You could record what you need in with the computer or even with a microphone directly into the device and save it for recall by a simple foot switch. It has stop modes (Stop, Finish, and Fade) and it can slow down or speed up any loop without changing its pitch. It also doesn't need a computer on stage and is cheaper than many sampler/sequencers.

Archived