What's the best amp avenue for a vintage combo organ?

tomsalitsky

• Members

Hi everyone...I just purchased a yamaha yc-20 electone combo organ and am wondering what kind of an amp I should run it through...I'd like to run it through a peavey classic 50 tube amp, but I'm worried that the bass notes will damage the speakers. In a worst case scenario, I can run it through my pa, but I'd like to get some tubey goodness in there if possible. If anyone has any suggestions on either avenue, they would be much appreciated. Thanks again!

• Members

I would love me some naugahyde, of course, but budgets being what they are, it won't be happening soon. I've heard of people running vintage keys through twin reverbs and whatnot, so I was hoping this was a solution, but if it'll screw up my speakers, then I'd rather just run it through the board until I can pick up a proper amp for it. What would you guys suggest? Thanks again for your help.

• Members

A tube guitar amp is totally the way to go. Combo organs SHOULD be run them, in fact.

You only have to worry about the bass notes if the organ has a bass section...in other words, the bass tones only, not the organy part. Even then, you should be ok. But if not, just turn down the "bass" eq on the amp.

Also, a louder amp will be able to handle low end better. Like a Fender Twin (100 watts) will be great, but a Fender Blues Junior, not so much (15 watts).

Finally, a lot of combo organs have a separate output for the bass parts. If so, it really does sound better to run the bass out to a keyboard amp / bass amp / PA.

I've run my Farfisa Compact Duo through all sorts of guitar amp, and I even run my Hammond XK3c through a Fender Twin 15 Custom. I'm not sure about the Peavey amp you mention, but some of their tube amps are pretty nice, as I recall.

Anyway, enjoy.

• Members

FWIW I recently got a guitar amp (for my guitar) and will be putting in an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker, which is specifically recommended for "Lead & Rhythm Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Keyboards." I'll try it with some of my keyboard sounds and report back.

• Members

The YC-20 is a better organ than a Farfisa

Uh, that's a matter of TASTE. I personally feel that the Farfisa Compact Duo is the most awesomest organ ever. But I don't expect everyone to feel that way. Maybe the Yamaha is more reliable, but I think the Farfisa Compacts are the best sounding of them all.

• Members

Back when I was playing Farfisas, I had a 60W Sunn tube amp, and the cab had 2 15" D130 JBL speakers.

It was a big cab, and the 130s had plenty of bass for organ.

I ran mine through a Fender Dual Showman with the same dual 15" JBL D130s, and most everyone else was using similar amps for their combo organs back then.

Open back guitar amps never sounded right, and it was way too easy to blow 10 and 12 inch guitar speakers with the non-stop sustained tones of a combo organ when the amp's full blast (I did several times on a Bandmaster and a Super Reverb before I got the Dual Showman).

Combo organs naturally have plenty of ear piercing highs, and 15" speakers tame that down and add fullness to the tone as well.

At least that's what I though when I was 18 years old. Haven't had a combo organ in 40 years.

• Members

Uh, that's a matter of TASTE. I personally feel that the Farfisa Compact Duo is the most awesomest organ ever. But I don't expect everyone to feel that way. Maybe the Yamaha is more reliable, but I think the Farfisa Compacts are the best sounding of them all.

:thu:Of course that's just my opinion. And yeah, I meant the Yah was the better constructed of the two. But as I said, the Farf trumps it for coolness. The red ones sound even better!

It's also my opion that the most awesomest combo organ ever is the british made Continental, for mojo as well as sound.

• Members

The Sabre Reverb was the standard, especially for the Farfisa and the Gibson combo organs. Don't have a picture but saw one either here or there very recently. I used to have one myself. 15" speaker and a horn. Great amp.

Regards,

:idea: Oh, yeah. I forgot about those. Up that page a little shows a pic of one with the back removed, revealing the side firing horn. :eek:

Archived