Nice Mellotron sounds in recent keyboards?

Moogasaur

• Members

Hello all,

Been awhile since I've visited here. I'm looking for a synth/workstation that has nice Mellotron sounds. I recently saw a Korg Kross 88 key (I think) and liked the Mellotron strings. I'd be interested in any recommendations on new-ish workstations with Mellotron strings, choirs, and flute sounds, in a $600 or less package. Ability to split the keyboard in multiple zones and layers would be nice too. Is there anything out there like this? I'd like to use it for other standard sounds as well. Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nord actually has samples of the Mellotron library. I have some in my Electro 3 and I own a real mellotron. The Nord stuff sounds good. If you get one of their cheaper keyboards that has the ability to store their mellotron samples, that might help.

• Members

Yep... The Nord is at the top of my list because of the Mellotron and Hammond sounds. It's a bit out of my price range at the moment. I hope to get one down the road a couple of years. Also, the lack of splitting the sounds into zones is a drawback for my current band needs.

By mentioning cheaper Nords...do you mean the Electro 3? Or is there a cheaper Nord with Mellotron sounds? Last time I checked the Electro 3 was selling used for around $1000. That'd be great if there was something cheaper in the Nord line with Mellotron sounds.

• Members

Well, I know Nord has a bunch of different models. I wasn't sure if there was one cheaper and smaller than the Electro 3. The good news is Nords are so popular, you might be able to get a used one for a good price, assuming you're ok with used. I agree they are a bit price-y and the non-splittable keyboard is a drawback. But the light weight, great sounding samples and reliability make them kind of hard to resist. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived