rare 1991 korg 01/w official VHS demo video

zzzxtreme

• Members

Korg 01W/FD is one of my favorite instruments ever. It's sound has the strongest presence in whatever synthesizer I tried, and I have put my hands on quite a a few.

It's a bit of a shame that we didn't have another top keyboard with AI2 generator and more waveforms, as Trinity already spotted a a new type of sound generator.

• Members

Very nice demonstration of what this synth was capable of, in a true "Workstation" context.

I owned the M1 (01/W's grand-daddy) for about 6 years before parting with it. Enjoyed it a lot.

This demo kind of proves how much workstations had changed the whole synth/keyboarding world for a brief period (before computers took over music production), and it also shows how much has NOT really improved all that much in the recorded output that these machines are/were capable of.

From 80s individual synths/samplers/sequencers/drum-machines to 90s all-in-one workstations (for creating soundtracks) = 80% improvement on sound and convenience. From 90s workstations to today's workstations, 20% improvement, mostly due to Moore's Law on RAM storage and speed -- not functionality, convenience, or (in many cases) sound.

• Members

Nobody here has the CD? It was pretty awesome...

1. Eloquence (Ted Alexander) 1:44

2. The Perfect Date (Tom Coster) 5:11

3. Video Star (Geoff Downes) 2:20

4. Katoh-san (Keith Emerson) 4:15

5. Michiko (Edgar Froese) 2:47

6. Fish Dance (Tim Gilpin) 2:25

7. Sketch for Orchestra #4 (Eddie Jobson) 4:03

8. Rock Show (Stephen Kay) 3:55

9. My Machine (Chuck Leavell) 3:18

10. Dance-O-Rama (John Lehmkuhl) 2:20

11. Serenade 1 & 2 (Don Muro) 1:19

12. Horse Hop (Peter Oxendale) 7:43

13. T Montana (Greg Phillinganes) 1:56

14. The Lethargy Shuffle (Dave Stewart) 4:17

15. Ethno World (Noritaka Ubukata, Jack Hotop, Jordan Rudes) 4:41

16. Catherine of Aragon (Rick Wakeman) 4:35

17. Green Stars & Moon (Gota Yashiki) 5:10

18. Azure Moon (Yellowjackets) 5:03

19. Experience in D flat (Joe Zawinul) 2:07

korg_01_wseries.jpg

• Members

I remember that. Did that come with an issue of Keyboard or did we have to order it?

I remember seeing an ad or interview where Phil Collins was walking with it under his arm or something like that.

I wonder if I have it buried in a box somewhere.

• Members

I remember that. Did that come with an issue of Keyboard or did we have to order it?

I remember seeing an ad or interview where Phil Collins was walking with it under his arm or something like that.

I wonder if I have it buried in a box somewhere.

Separate order. I think I have that Phil Collins issue around here someplace too. I don't remember if it was a Keyboard magazine or Korg Proview magazine.

Ripping now...

-Mc

EDIT: Worth downloading just for the instrumental version of "Video Killed The Radio Star" alone.

• 6 years later...

Archived