If you could only use one of these synths live and nothing else, which one.

DJ RAZZ

• Members

As long as I can use a computer for sequencing and recording ...

1) Jupiter-80

2) Kronos

3) Kurz

Well, you cannot use your computer live, just one of the keyboards. Studio is up to you. This is taking into account that you are in a fully structured and working band containing live players. You are the keyboardist.

• Members

Kronos, no question about it.

Live Sets, seamless effect transitions when changing patches, all these engines being integrated, kickass piano, EP, organs and synth sounds, tons of room for user presets, 3.2GB RAM (samples!), etc etc etc.

I wonder if those people choosing the JP80 even play live...

• Members

Here are the choices:

Roland JP80 76 keys

Kurzweil PC3K 76 keys

KORG KRONOS 73 keys

Just for fun,
:cool:
?

I would put two more keyboards in that grouping... Nord Stage 2 and Yamaha Motif XF, both with 76 keys. And I'd probably take either of those over any of the three you listed. Though they are all good boards, of course.

My knock on the Kurz is that I don't like the action they use on their 76. My knock on the Kronos would also be an action I don't much like, plus it's the heaviest of the bunch. And the Roland is the only one that you can't load new samples into.

• Members

Well, you cannot use your computer live, just one of the keyboards. Studio is up to you. This is taking into account that you are in a fully structured and working band containing live players. You are the keyboardist.

Kronos.

16 MIDI tracks with the MS-20, Polysix, MOD-7 engines and sampling means I'm totally firing the rest of the band before the gig and performing solo after using all their drink tickets.

• Members

I would put two more keyboards in that grouping... Nord Stage 2 and Yamaha Motif XF, both with 76 keys. And I'd probably take either of those over any of the three you listed. Though they are all good boards, of course.

My knock on the Kurz is that I don't like the action they use on their 76. My knock on the Kronos would also be an action I don't much like, plus it's the heaviest of the bunch. And the Roland is the only one that you can't load new samples into.

OK let's include those two as well. Good idea.

• Members

It was hard but I like the build quality on the JP80 better. The interface on the KURZ for me is safe, as are the preset sounds and the setups, but once learned, I think the JP80 interface, the live sets, and the editing of the sounds would be more rewarding. Plus the synth action on the 80 is fantastic, where I too have never cared for the semi-weighted action of the KURZ.

• Members

the synth action on the 80 is fantastic, where I too have never cared for the semi-weighted action of the KURZ.

I agree. Since I could probably get all the sounds I need out of any of them (though some sounds better on some than others), the action would be a big part of my choice. The Roland and the Yamaha have excellent unweighted actions, and the Nord weighted action is pretty nice. The reason I don't own any of these is just that I prefer to gig with lighter gear. Other than that, as I said, buying into your only-one-board premise, I'd prefer something into which I could load samples. But realistically, I'd gig with two boards anyway (at least).

• Members

Well. I play in band where I don't need anything too complicated. To this date I've been fine with Motif 7 and Ultranova, even the Ultranova isn't necessary but it's nice to have so I don't run out of polyphony so easily on the Motif. If this is only for live use, I'd take Nord Stage 2 as 73 key version. It would do everything I need live and do it well. All I need is acoustic and electric pianos, organs, simple synth sound and some strings. No need for sequencing or super-multilayered evolving synth sounds or so.

Archived