Theremin Sound on a Micro Korg

Goat Punishment

• Members

First off, I am NOT a keyboard player or a programmer. I DO however have a used microkorg and am looking to have some thereminesque sounds on my next record. I've been told that the sound is basically just a "simple sine sound with portamento", but I have absolutely no clue how to make that happen.

This doesn't sound super time intensive or anything, so was wondering if any of you kind folks could tell me how to find this sound, and then save it!

Hope this isn't too big of a pain in the ass! It would be super helpful!

Thanks!

• Members

Some tips here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-8173.html

Some resources and possibly free patches here:

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/korg_microkorg/

Patches can be purchased here:

http://justanothersnakecult.bandcamp.com/track/forbidden-planet-theremin

Two examples from his patch set can also be played here

http://snakecult.tiredmachine.com/1025-custom-microkorg-patch-library

Another example of the sound here:

[video=youtube;FnN4r2eQJ1I]

Also in this AWESOME example of micro KORG near the end that type of sound

[video=youtube;jqPKCdAdntM]

• Members

The sound the snake cult guy gets for his theremin patch is exactly what I want, but I don't want to pay for it, because even if I bought it from him, I'm not sure I'd even know how to load it into my machine!

Isn't there a simple way to just dial up the sound by turning knobs or am I just that ignorant?

• Members

The sound the snake cult guy gets for his theremin patch is exactly what I want, but I don't want to pay for it, because even if I bought it from him, I'm not sure I'd even know how to load it into my machine!

Isn't there a simple way to just dial up the sound by turning knobs or am I just that ignorant?

E mail the guy. He may not mind telling you the settings to dial in, since it takes effort and its not like your going to set up a counterfeit patch service...

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Hi, sorry to revive an ancient thread, but I've been getting a lot of hits from this thread, so people must still be reading it.

I'm that Just Another Snake Cult guy you were talking about. Sorry never saw this thread before.

Yeah, I can tell you generally how to make a theremin patch. It's a fairly easy sound to emulate.

You want to start with a "blank" patch. I forget the exact shortcut on the MicroKORG is to do this, but you can look it up.

What this gives you is a single oscillator saw wave as a starting point. This isn't a bad starting point. For the patch referenced above I used the "Vox" waveform to give the sound a little bit of a nasally resonance. Either will work.

You'll probably want to set the polyphony for your patch to mono. You'll also want to increase the portamento to taste -- this controls how fast the pitch slides from one note to another.

Almost there. Next you want to dial down the cut off on the low pass filter until is starts to sound dull like a theremin. Probably want to use the 24db/octave filter.

Next you need to patch one of the LFO's to modulate the pitch a little bit, to create the typical vibrato theremin players use.

Adjust the volume envelope attack and decay.

You just need to adjust everything to taste. Listen to a theremin. How fast is the vibrato? How quickly does the sound swell?

There you go! You have a really basic theremin-sounding patch. There's plenty of room for improvement though. Use the remaining patch slots and untouched parameters to give your patch more nuance.

In response to your concern about not knowing how to load patches onto your MicroKORG, it's really easy. You just need a MIDI interface, and those cost as little as $7 these days. I recommend learning how to use the MicroKORG sound editor software regardless, because it's a much easier way to create and modify patches.

I've actually made a few new theremin patches recently that are even better than that old one, and added them to that pack of patches that I'm selling. I made one the other day that is especially expressive, and I think has a much better sound (like Gary Numan's Trois Gymnopedies), taking into account velocity and mod wheel in order to make the sound more dynamic and organic.

Good luck!

Archived