Novation on the loose! Beware microKORG

Casio Man

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Please, not another mini key synth.

They're quoting a street price of 399 Euros, which incidentally is more than I paid for my used UltraNova.

Synthtopia has some details in English:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/20...ew/#more-42509

Features:

Powerful mini synthesizer with the sound engine of the UltraNova
16-character LCD display
37-key keyboard with MIDI I / O
3x oscillators, 1 noise generator , 2x ring modulators
15 filter types
Arpeggiator with 33 pattern
Up to 18x polyphony , monotimbral
256 factory sounds
Up to five effects per patch: distortion, compressor, chorus / phase, delay, reverb, Gator, EQ
USB connector (Mini Nova can also via USB with power supplied)
Editing software and patch management software included
Guitars and other instruments with the vocoder to process and effects
Free sound packs available including vintage synthesizer

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Metrosonus View Post
probably the same engine. ala micron / microkorg.

and wasn't the ultranova small anyway? what's the advantage here..
Yeah, a bit of same here, but now the price is closing impulse buy limits. Kind of R3 vs MicroKorg XL.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Metrosonus View Post
probably the same engine. ala micron / microkorg.

and wasn't the ultranova small anyway? what's the advantage here..
Yes, it IS small already. I'm not quite seeing the advantage either.

The UltraNova has a much better display, more touch sensitive knobs, and a really good keybed with full size keys.

It looks like Novation is just trying to compete with the MicroKorg's form factor.

• Members

I don't know how much multitimbrality cost, but I'd gladly trade 18 polyphony to 2 4-voice patches(or even as low as 3). It doesn't have to be a workstation, but who spams 18 notes of same voice... Of course in Novations case, the rather hefty effects section might have to be softened a bit to grow multitimbrality.

Still, pretty affordable synth, seems to have UltraNovas engine; a bit like UltraNova module with $1,99 keys to make it self contained.

Is either of these newer Novas able to work as audio interface?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man View Post
I don't know how much multitimbrality cost, but I'd gladly trade 18 polyphony to 2 4-voice patches(or even as low as 3). It doesn't have to be a workstation, but who spams 18 notes of same voice... Of course in Novations case, the rather hefty effects section might have to be softened a bit to grow multitimbrality.

Still, pretty affordable synth, seems to have UltraNovas engine; a bit like UltraNova module with $1,99 keys to make it self contained.

Is either of these newer Novas able to work as audio interface?
The UltraNova works as an audio interface, so I assume the Mini does as well. It would make sense, since it's clear that they're aiming this at the laptop user market.

• Members

Some interesting new performance features there. I'm still not too keen on the minikeys.

I agree with DJ whatshisface, that big filter knob is kind of nice.

I wish they'd put these features, 49 full size keys, and a few other things into a flagship successor to the Supernova.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
Some interesting new performance features there. I'm still not too keen on the minikeys.

I agree with DJ whatshisface, that big filter knob is kind of nice.

I wish they'd put these features, 49 full size keys, and a few other things into a flagship successor to the Supernova.
I have to listen to it more but it is a good sounding synth, so if priced right it may be a no brainer...

Agree with any recent small synths, if they just package them a bit better they would probably sell more IE 49 keys - multi T - K nobs and S lidders icon_lol.gif..

I really do not want to add to my collection of poor IF (for patch creation, albeit this has an editor for free) and rubber push buttons (how long do they last) Synths... The UltraNOVA with its wibbly wobbly Electric K nobs was easy to walk by,,, Not so sure on ignoring this one....

It can doez soopey sawz TM thumb.gif

mad.gif Dam you NOVATION - evil temptress mad.gif

• Members

I just came here to post the news about this but see there is already a thread. Definitely some competition for the microKorg. I already own an UltraNova so no temptation for me personally, but as the popularity of the microKorg shows, there is a market for this.

The demo video I saw is pretty much aimed at the dance music genre. I use my UltraNova for ambient music and get some great pads and evolving textures out of it. I'm sure the mini has a similar synth engine and a lot more going for it soundwise than what the demo shows. I owned a microKorg for a few years when they first came out and this Novation seems to have more going for it. Still not a fan of the mini keys though.

I have to agree with the comments above that it is a bit strange that Novation made a mini version of a synth that was already a small 3 octave synth. But I'm sure they'll sell plenty of them. I wonder if this will cut into sales of the UltraNova?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Fulton View Post
No audio over USB according to specs on the Novation website, sort of a shame. But it can be powered by USB.

It looks so much like a microKorg, I'd expect to see the Behringer name on it Totally_jammin_out.gif

Well I guess that really differentiates it from the Ultra.

I LOVE the UltraNova, by the way. I originally said I wasn't going to get one, primarily because it's monotimbral and has 37 keys, but then I played one and fell in love. It's pretty deep, and the sonic quality exceeds anything that I've heard in its price range. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would buy a Gaia while the UltraNova can be had for the same price. There's just no comparison.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by zoink View Post
Well I guess that really differentiates it from the Ultra.

I LOVE the UltraNova, by the way. I originally said I wasn't going to get one, primarily because it's monotimbral and has 37 keys, but then I played one and fell in love. It's pretty deep, and the sonic quality exceeds anything that I've heard in its price range. For the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would buy a Gaia while the UltraNova can be had for the same price. There's just no comparison.
I note on the Daniel Fisher sound pack where he does the same patches as his GAIA patches. GAIA is more to my liking... smile.gif

http://uk.novationmusic.com/hardware-synths/ultranova

The UltraNOVA is obviously way deeper on complexity and effects... So adding external effects to GAIA (not so practical for patch memory) evens it up a bit for sonic flexibility...

In fact having listened enough now my initial interest is dying as it shares so much sonic character I gain so little...

Great new synth though (and the Ultra)

Archived