Korg Krome

Gaul

• Members

M50 replacement, surpasses anything in the middle range up to now. On paper looks even equal or better than M3, as it's has equal polyphony of 120, and much more PCM memory, about 3,8 GB (!), mostly dedicated to piano and e. piano elements. Waveform section contains 1077 waves, and 1609 drum waves. Somewhat lacking in outputs section with only one stereo output. Effects: 5 insert, 2 Master with 1 Total and 1 EQ effect. Obligatory 16 track Sequencer. Only 1000 Euros street price in Europe. I hope the quality of material and workmanship holds up.

http://www.korg.de/produkte/synthesi...ktinfo-40.html

Funny trivia: the third demo on the link above is a demo song from 01W/FD, played on Krome smile.gif

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gaul View Post
... Added sampler in addition to M50. ....

No Audio inputs so appears no Vocoder or Sampler....

''SD card slot: max. 2 GB / SD memory card is supported, max. 32 GB / SDHC Memory Card ''

Now that is a relief as SD only cards are less available, so atleast it supports SDHC... thumb.gif

• Members

When it comes to romplers, I tend to like many of Yamaha's "real instrument" sounds better than Korg's, but this will give the MOX a run for its money, with the touchscreen, the availability of a 73 key version, and the Kronos-derived pianos and EPs. (I actually liked the MOX piano sounds, but always found the EPs problematic.) I also like that the Korg's 88 moves all the controls to the front of the panel, so a second tier board doesn't have to be so far away to leave all the 88s' controls visible/accessible. I'll be curious to see what the action feels like, though.

• Members

As the owner of a MOX, I think these "watered-down" romplers are great. They give musicians access to many wonderful sounds without breaking the bank. And gigging keyboardists don't have to break their backs any more.

Assuming the same price, the 61-key Krome could really top the MOX if it has a really nice keyboard action. The MOX is mediocre at best, but better than the M50. If Korg is able to put a really nice action in a 61-key instrument for $1200, that could definitely pull some buyers away from Yamaha.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott

View Post

When it comes to romplers, I tend to like many of Yamaha's "real instrument" sounds better than Korg's, but this will certainly give the MOX a run for its money, with the touchscreen, apparently some kind of aftertouch, the availability of a 73 key version, and the Kronos-derived pianos and EPs. (I actually liked the MOX piano sounds, but always found the EPs problematic.) I also like that the Korg's 88 moves all the controls to the front of the panel, so a second tier board doesn't have to be so far away to leave all the 88s' controls visible/accessible. I'll be curious to see what the action feels like, though.

''aftertouch is not supported''

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by keybdwizrd View Post
As the owner of a MOX, I think these "watered-down" romplers are great. They give musicians access to many wonderful sounds without breaking the bank. And gigging keyboardists don't have to break their backs any more.

Assuming the same price, the 61-key Krome could really top the MOX if it has a really nice keyboard action. The MOX is mediocre at best, but better than the M50. If Korg is able to put a really nice action in a 61-key instrument for $1200, that could definitely pull some buyers away from Yamaha.

I am praying it is not ''Plastic benders'' like the micro KORG and the M50... Really want some sprung hinges on each key like most other boards seem to use...

• Members

German Spec translated:

'' Overview Keyboard Synthesizer PC Tools Producing Tools Recording Tools Pianos Previous models tuner | Effects
Introducing
Sounds in new dimensions
Stylish, sleek design
Use and effects
Memory, arpeggiator and sequencer
Different models, Editor
Specifications
Print View all topics
Specification
Keyboard

KROME-88: 88 keys, NH (Natural Weighted Hammer Action) Keyboard
Velocity supports, aftertouch is not supported
Standard A0 - C8 (transposable in the range [A-1 ... C7] - [A1 ... C9])
The NH-keyboard reproduces the attack of an acoustic piano, and offers in the low registers as something more tactile keys in the upper register.

KROME-73: 73-key, semi-weighted "Natural Touch" keyboard
Standard C1 - C7 (transposable in [C0 ... C6] - [C2 ... C8])

KROME-61: 61-key, semi-weighted "Natural Touch" keyboard

Standard C2 - C7 (transposable in [C1 ... C6] - [C3 ... C8])

System

X-EDS (Enhanced Definition Synthesis-eXpanded)

Sound generation

Polyphony: Max 120 voices (120 oscillators) / single-mode, 60 voices (120 oscillators) / Double Mode

* The actual maximum polyphony depends on oscillator settings (stereo multisamples, "Velocity crossfades" etc.).

PCM-attached storage: 3.8 GB (at 48 kHz, 16-bit linear)
1077 multisamples (including seven stereo multisamples)
1609 drum samples (including 116 stereo drum samples)

Programs:

Oscillator: OSC1 (Single), OSC1 +2 (Double): Stereo multisamples are supported / 8 velocity zones per oscillator, with Switch, Crossfade and Layer

Filters: 4 types of filter routing (single, serial, parallel, 24 dB), 2 multi-mode filters per oscillator (low pass, high pass, band pass, band reject)

Driver: nonlinear driver and low boost EQ per voice, with 3 bands semi-parametric mids

Modulation: Each Oscillator: 2 envelope generators (Filter & Amp), 2LFOs, two key tracking generators (Filter & Amp), 2 AMS mixers, pitch EG, common LFO, 2 common key tracking generators

Combinations:

16 Timbres: Up to 16 timbres. Adjustable Sheet and stop area with "Velocity Split" / "layer" / "Crossfade" configurations, changes in the associated programs with "Tone Adjust" function

Master Keyboard functions: control of external MIDI devices

Drum Kits: Stereo and mono drum samples. 8-fold velocity zones ("Velocity Switch"). With "Crossfade" and adjustable crossfade curve ("linear", "power", "layer")

User combinations: 512 Combinations/288 Factory

User Programs: 768 Programs/640 Factory

User Drum Kits: 48 Drumkits/32 Factory

Preset Programs: 256 GM2 Programs + 9 GM2-compatible "Drums" Programs

Effects

Insert Effects: 5 Insert Effects (stereo in / out)
Master Effects: 2 Master Effects (stereo in / out)
Total Effects: 1 Total Effect (stereo in / out)
Timbre / Track EQ: 3-band EQ for each timbre / track
Effect types: 193 types (Usable as insert, master, or Total Effects double effect can not be used as a total effect..)
Modulation: Dynamic modulation, two common LFOs
Effect control busses: Stereo Sidechain (limiter, gate, vocoder, etc.)
Effects Presets: 32 presets per effect

Two polyphonic arpeggiators

Program mode: 1 Arpeggiator (polyphonic)
Combination - and sequencer mode: 2 arpeggiator (polyphonic)

5 preset arpeggio patterns, 1028 user arpeggio patterns (900 factory)
Drum Track

Preset patterns: 637 patterns (included in the pattern presets the sequencer mode)

User patterns: 1000 pattern. In Sequencer mode created Pattern can be converted to "drum track" pattern.

Adjustable features: Trigger Mode / Sync / Zone

Sequencer

Tracks: 16-track MIDI sequencer + 1 master track
Number of Songs: 128 Songs
Resolution: 1/480
Tempo: 40.00 - 300.00 (1/100 BPM resolution)
Maximum Memory: 210 000 MIDI events
Template Song: 16 preset / 16 user template songs
Cue List function: 20 cue lists (Songs can be arranged consecutively or repeatedly in up to 99 steps, a cue list can be converted back into a song)

Pattern: 637 preset / 100 user patterns (per song)
RPPR (Realtime Pattern Play and Recording): 1 Pattern set per song
Format: KORG (KROME) format, SMF format 0 and 1

Data storage

Load, Save, Utility

"Data Filer" function (archiving and loading SysEx dumps of other equipment)

Game Help

Joystick, SW [1], S [2]

SELECT Button: Real-time control for (TONE, USER), ARP

4 knobs: Echtzeitsteuerungf

• Members

This has my interest. I have been looking at paring down my setup and ditching the Axiom/Rack altogether. I am also curious what the key action is like. I rather like my Axiom Pro, and I liked the Kurzweil PC3 I tried, but I looked at a MOX6 (which is my other main contender) and its "semi-weighted" keys felt like synth action to me.

Archived