Choosing between three older boards

Ispin1200s

• Members

Hi-

I am on an extreme budget and am trying to choose between three older digital pianos. I want to actually learn how to play the keys while at the same time using it to create my own music (meaning I would like the board to have some flexibility in terms of sounds, adaptability and be able to connect to other hardware). As a reference my music will be mostly instrumental jazz, gospel, blues and old soul inspired. It's come down to the below. Could someone offer an opinion as to which one would be the best to go with given what I would like to accomplish? Your input is greatly appreciated.
1) Rhodes/Roland MK-80
2) Roland RD500
3) Alesis QS8

Thanks again.

• Members

I think he meant that if you're a total beginner on a tight budget, a department store keyboard is a good idea. Just make sure it has velocity sensitive keys and a USB connection for a computer.

Try a few and see what you think about the piano sounds (where most brands spend most of their attention). Tip: listen with headphones to get a better picture of the sound quality than the built in speakers.

• Members

I agree with 1001gear. I learned a LOT of songs on a Casio SK-1 and a Casio HT-700 before I got my first pro synth.

What's your budget? It's very possible you can get better sounds on cheaper newer gear than used, older gear.

• Members

Well but if he wants to learn piano then something with piano action like the RD500 would actually have decent enough sounds to practice with, while providing a piano-like feel.
The QS8 would work as well.
Both would make good controllers if later on the OP decides to buy a module like the Yamaha Motif Rack to get better piano sounds.

• Members

It depends on whether or not you need weighted keys and how vested you are in learning piano. If it is sound creation you are after then the sky is the limit. You could even look into software and a controller. That way you could buy something new. Something new may sound better and be more inspirational and useful in the future. I really like the new Casio board, the XW-P1

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

I learned a LOT of songs on a Casio SK-1 and a Casio HT-700 before I got my first pro synth.

Very much this; budget below $300 no less. IMO ALL the academia you need to cover can be covered and beyond on one of these "toy" keyboards. If and when you do upgrade to an 88, you'll be much better qualified for the spot.

Archived