weighted rompler comparison - mox8 vs

Strenge

• Members

In my traditional indecisive way, I've turned attention from stage pianos (previous thread) to possibly getting a weighted rompler.
Reason: I currently have a motif classic, which I'd like to sell. I also have a virus kb, which has the best action and killer analog sounds I've ever played, it's a keeper.

What I don't have is a good organ, so I've got my eye on, say a used vk8 or possibly an electro. That will be another thread!

To handle the general synth, piano and strings, I'm thinking something like the mox8. However, this will share duty as an acoustic piano replacement for me and my kids, so it has to have nice action and a nice piano. I'm a little iffy on the Kurzweil boards for this reason--though I suspect the synths might be good enough on those that I might be able to leave the virus at home most of the time (I'd rather not bring 3 boards just to cover all ranges of sound)--otherwise I'd move toward a stage piano perhaps.

(All this conjecture brought about because my wife told me I should just get the Kronos in a music store; I almost fell over...when I recovered I scrambled for my phone in order to record the moment. However, I am too cheap to buy something that new and expensive for my non-pro use, plus that money could be spent on multiple boards! I'd really like a waterfall board to improve organ playing. Her input is a key factor here since I'm leveraging this as a home board too! Someone think of the children! So the red nord stage is not going to work, nord piano either. She liked the big massive black boards (get your mind away from there) like the s90 and Kronos.)

I don't want anything super-heavy, I could see throwing my back out with the s90...

I'm wondering a couple things, some of which I will answer myself with more playing of these, but just for other opinions:
- Has the motif sound improved, particularly with piano, since the classic? Also wondering about synth sounds, I don't care for them in the classic at all.

- Any thoughts on the action on any of these, including some I haven't mentioned like Krome? I briefly played the Kurzweil SP4 and thought it had a weird bouncy action. The PCLE-8 had a totally different feel, but felt a bit "heavy". I realize this is a totally subjective area.

I find the fact that the mox8 has a built in computer interface interesting. How well does it work? I do all my at-home recording with a daw and softsynths, hardware is only for playing live (so I don't need sequencing, vst integration etc) and for my kids so they don't have to monkey with the computer to play biggrin.gif

• Members

I'm looking at the MOX8 as a weighted controller/bottom tier board to go under my Kronos 61. I have a Motif ES that I'm gonna sell to fund it. From what I can tell, the sounds in the MOX are derived from the Motif XF, not the latest XF, which I feel certain are improvements over what we have in ours. New are the articulated instruments. We have the option to add sample memory and load samples which the MOX don't - but I've never even used the sampling feature. Also, we'd be giving up the PLG expansion capabilities which the MOX don't have. I have 4 of those boards, but again, rarely use those anymore either.

The Roland I have not tried, but I was considering a Privia before realizing that I would really miss the Yamaha "bread and butter" sound set. I also think it will compliment the Kronos nicely.

• Members

I think I'd really like to have those bread and butter sounds, if for no other reason than for quick one-board gigs and playing at home.

My new top contender may well be the Kurzweil pc3le8 or even the pc3x. I think with this board I may just let the Virus go...as much as I love that board I don't use it as much as strings/piano/organ, and I think the Kurzweil VA sounds could be comparable (need to test). That darn Virus is just so playable and expressive though...but I can't see myself lugging 3 boards, especially since I fancy I'd like to play some rhythm gtr also biggrin.gif

Between the mox8 and kurz boards, a big factor is weight. I'm a big guy though so maybe 50lb isn't so bad smile.gif The Kurz has the edge in analog sounds I bet and programming them. These two are definitely on my hot list. I'm going to try out the action of both of these soon along with the Krome, Roland stage pianos and others, possibly even the s90xs also.

• Members

New contender! Argh.... I'm seeing used m50 88s for very low prices...I can probably deal just fine with those sounds even though I'm not a huge korg fan.

Any thoughts on the action of the m50 88? I'd find it hard to believe a new mox8 for 1400 (discount!) is that much better than the Korg for around 900....that difference goes a ways toward a possible clonewheel biggrin.gif That said, I've learned the hard way to buy something of quality as you don't get permission that often smile.gif so price is only one factor!

• Members

Ok, probably nobody but me cares about which weighted rompler I pick (LOL) but another thread on this very forum has tilted the scale mightily over toward...

...one of the Kurzweils, which one depends on budget.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...ectronic-music

I just can't see the Mox, m50 or whatever being able to get analog-ish sounds like some of those linked in that thread. They have "weight" and punch to them, it's exactly what my Motif lacks in the synth department (granted it's the first Motif). Reason that's important is that I can let my Virus go (much as I'll miss it) if my main board can cover what it does. I really can't see using 3 boards, and the $$ I (hopefully) get will help get the purchase past "The Financial Overseer", otherwise known as the "Why do you need more than one keyboard" Lady. And from those links it sure can get close to the Virus, at least for what I do...I was very impressed.
Specifically this one by EvilDragon: https://www.box.com/shared/6aubanvd2d
The youtube soundsets from that thread were very nice also.

Added bonuses to the Kurzweil is that I liked the build quality a lot, I liked how it looked, and the organ was good. I'll get over any interface issues, never been a problem with any synth I've owned, just have to dive in...ok except the TX81Z lol, that was a pain.....and the Dx7, I never did figure out how to program that thing lol.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Strenge

View Post

Any thoughts on the action of the m50 88?

I believe it has the RH3 action, so basically the same as the M3-88, the Kronos-88, and the SP250. It is their higher end action. By contrast, the MOX8 uses Yamaha's lowest-end weighted action. BUT... that doesn't necessarily tell you which one you'll prefer the feel of. Broadly speaking, you'll probably find the Korg action to feel heavier than the Yamaha.

• Members

Of MOX, M50, and PC3-anything, I think pretty much everyone would agree that Kurz is the best of the three for VA synth and for tonewheel organ. I also happen to like it best of the three for EPs, though that may be more subjective. It also is the only one with aftertouch. To me, the problem with it is the weight. As for the action, it's personal preference. I like the Kurz PC3X/PC3LE8 best of them. The M50 action is RH3, similar to the Kronos, but not the same as what's in the Krome.

• Members

Apologies if you happen to read my similar thread on another forum. I'll ask here though:

Anyone find the knobs vs sliders thing to be a big deal between the PC3 and PC3le?

I'm now considering getting the pc3 (non-weighted) version. That one seems harder to find, I have yet to play one. Some people seem to suggest it's a decent compromise between piano and synth, others think it does nothing well (and so it would be better to get an action that does at least one thing well).

Considering the 61-key version now too facepalm.gif I guess as long as I don't go nuts with splits it's big enough.

I don't gig all that much, plus I'm a big strong guy so I'm not toooo worried about the weight--I am getting old though! I'm probably more concerned with stage space and car space with such a big board....I do have a studiologic weighted controller that I could bust out if I really wanted to get a better feel with piano, I expect you could probably midi it to the Kurzweil while the Kurzweil itself played something different. Darn it I like simplicity though so it probably would not happen.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Strenge View Post
Considering the 61-key version now too
I do have a studiologic weighted controller that I could bust out if I really wanted to get a better feel with piano, I expect you could probably midi it to the Kurzweil while the Kurzweil itself played something different.
Yes, that would work, and I think doing that with a PC3K6 (or PC361 if you can find one) would be the best way to go if you don't get one of their 88s. Though once you're looking at 61s, the Korg Kronos becomes another interesting alternative, as it also has clonewheel and VA engines built in.

Archived