Jordan R. on the microsoft surfes presentation

minimoog

• Members

I think it looked just like an iPad. Those Lenovos on other hand looked like million dollars though!

I love how musical applications seem to have stepped in the lime light when they announce these devices now, which might help to create a bit of competition in the favor of musicians. Can't wait to see, what Apple is cooking up to ensure their tablets lead in the musical front.

I loved the audience the most! They were even more lackadaisical than me. That barrier of indifference could have endured a nuclear missile.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by minimoog View Post
But you can run win 7 programms on one version that was many of us was waiting for

That's what I'm interested in -- a small tablet computer that will run Reason and Maschine (hosting my favorite VSTs).

• Members

WOW, watching the video now. JR is a monster HOWEVER, it's interesting that some of the complicated leads were sequenced and he was only playing the chords and bass lines live. I wonder if he cheats like that through parts of his concerts. I'd never seen him do that before...

Still the most talented keyboardist I've ever seen. It's not even questionable...

• Members

My interest in the surface decreased a bit when I noticed they divided in two incompatible halves; one is an arm tablet, that runs iPad -like mobile apps, and the other is an Intel version, which as a very light weight PC, is not guaranteed to get lots of software support, specially tailor made for it. This level of hesitancy is worrying.

But that Lenovo IdeaCentre A720 is only $1449, which is surprisingly affordable to me. I just want to also use stylus with that kind of screen, so I might wait for some manufacturer to build that kind of PC with an active digitizer. Perhaps at that point they can fit a decent GPU in it as well.

• Members

I'm more interested in the ThinkPad Twist and Ideapad Yoga than the Surface. There will be some growing pains with Windows 8 but I think this will finally bring the usability to tablets/laptops/convertables that we've been waiting for.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c..._hp_11_nr_hero

http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/la.../yoga/yoga-13/

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by AnotherScott View Post
How about a Samsung Series 7 Slate?
Yeah, I've thought about getting the Slate. It just seemed like the setup might be a little awkward. I'd have to get a QWERTY keyboard for it and some way to prop it up (the optional dock is another $100).

All told, I'd be spending something like $1500 for the 128 gig SSD version with a keyboard and dock. I've also heard that Windows 7 isn't terribly easy to use with a touch interface, though I imagine I'd get used to it.

I guess I just like the idea of something with a full version of Windows 8 optimized for touch that's well under $1,000.

• Members

Actually, the Slate is still problematic as a super-portable gigging VST player, because it has only one USB port. You'll need that for MIDI, so that means you can't run any software instrument that requires an iLok. Or am I missing something? They should have a USB pass-thru on the iLok so you don't lose use of the port.

Archived