The Alesis Vortex has shipped from Sweetwater

McHale

• Members

Just got my confirmation email that the Vortex shipped out today so I SHOULD have it tomorrow. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have internal pics up tomorrow night (after all the trick or treaters leave the neighborhoods). Mods and paint forthcoming.

keytar_awesome.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy

View Post

Straight to the mods, eh? Bold move, sir! thumb.gif Pics are mandatory.

It's $250. So even if I were to completely destroy it I wouldn't be out much. And based on the pictures, it's only held together by about 9 #1 philips screws. Since I'll be gigging it right away, might as well break it in right!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

It's $250. So even if I were to completely destroy it I wouldn't be out much. And based on the pictures, it's only held together by about 9 #1 philips screws. Since I'll be gigging it right away, might as well break it in right!

You're incorrigible.

• Members

I have a few immediate reactions already but I'm holding off for now. I will note that there is NO software to configure all of those knobs and buttons. How odd because it would have made this thing VERY VERY VERY quick to configure. Instead, it's a complicated PITA.

WP_000196.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by McHale View Post
I have a few immediate reactions already but I'm holding off for now. I will note that there is NO software to configure all of those knobs and buttons. How odd because it would have made this thing VERY VERY VERY quick to configure. Instead, it's a complicated PITA...

So, you everything through the on-board display? I hope it a decent display, and not one of those old fashioned cryptic 2 or 3 digit displays.

• Members
...and it' horrible!

Well, I guess they had to cut costs somewhere. But that's a bad place to do it.

Maybe you could mod the display.

Watched the demo and it looks pretty good. The 3 knobs at the bottom looked a little awkward to get at though. Seems like they'd mostly work better as a 'set it and forget it' type thing.

• Members
Just got my confirmation email that the Vortex shipped out today so I SHOULD have it tomorrow. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should have internal pics up tomorrow night (after all the trick or treaters leave the neighborhoods). Mods and paint forthcoming.

keytar_awesome.gif

Do you jump around on stage like this, McHale?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by MikeyParent View Post
Ouch.. kind of a fail there huh?
I think so. Manually setting everything is kind of a PITA but what's worse is, there's no way to back up your configs. So let's say I create the end all, be all of configurations for it. I can't share it with anyone because it doesn't have a utility. frown.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaholic View Post
Do you jump around on stage like this, McHale?
Wow, no. When I was in high school I broke my hip... TWICE from running too much (up to 20 miles a day, every day). I don't think I could jump off a milk crate without feeling it for weeks. When I was younger, I used to jump of chevy vans on to my skateboard and do all sorts of idiotic things.

Also, I've NEVER owned or used a keytar on stage before. I actually think they look pretty dorky. But I started an 80's band and it's CRITICAL to have one for that!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd View Post
.... I'll probably get one.
who's got the best deal? are there colors or just white?
Only color is white. I paid $249 from Sweetwater (but I pre-ordered it within a couple weeks of them announcing it). Amazon had them for $254 until just before they shipped. $299 is the most common price but there are others out there in the $270 range. It's well worth it. I'd have paid more for an extra octave but for what I will do with it (and with the features it has), it's WELL worth the price if you have a use for a keytar. I hope they sell a crap load of them so they keep it as a regular item that they continuously improve upon from now on.

-Mc

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy View Post
But why is the logo upside down??
Um... what?! Unless you're standing on your head while playing it, it's perfectly visible for the audience to read right side up.

Or is there another logo you're seeing?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by McHale

View Post

Also, I've NEVER owned or used a keytar on stage before. I actually think they look pretty dorky. But I started an 80's band and it's CRITICAL to have one for that!

I got one for my 80s band and I can tell you people - especially the young crowd - {censored}ing LOVE the things...

Archived