new hardware - how long will it be usable?

cresshead

• Members

will the NEW hardware equipment you own now be useful in 5 years time...or 10 years time?

example

...i have a arturia minibrute for example...that requires an app to run on 'windows or osx' via a usb connection to change it's midi channel...what's going to happen in 10 years time...will there still be 'windows'?..will it run on windows 18?

...will arturia update the app to run on ios16? or android bounty?....

conversly

my korg volca bass doesn't require a computer app to set it up...

neither does my MFB nanozwerg...

future proofing...interesting thing to think about with 'new hardware.'...that REQUIRES a computer app to set it up?

Imagine if a roland JX-10 back in the 80's required a spectrum app to set it's midi channel?....how useful would that jx 10 be nowdays?

okay sure...a app running on windows via usb can offer some updates...but what about in a decades time?
...what if you have a minibrute now STUCK on midi channel 9?

• Members

Pretty valid question. I own a Mac Classis running OS 7.2. I've got no use for it, but it's too cute to toss or recycle. Keeping a late version of the computer you need to work with the keyboard isn't just a good idea, it's probably pretty cheap towards the end of a computer life cycle.

• Members

i keep buying floppy disks whenever I can for my electone. what happens if the drive breaks down ? i worry man, i worry. a new electone using usb thumbdrive is over $7K, can't afford that

and the floppy drive interface in the electone is proprietary ! to extract the song floppy image i downloaded, i have to run some old dos software in a virtual machine

• Members

cresshead wrote:

will the NEW hardware equipment you own now be useful in 5 years time...or 10 years time?

future proofing...interesting thing to think about with 'new hardware.'...

Imagine if a roland JX-10 back in the 80's required a spectrum app to set it's midi channel?....how useful would that jx 10 be nowdays?

This is one reason I buy keyboards that have real MIDI ports, and avoid anything that is USB-only.

This has already become something of an issue. The Roland JV-1010 is a great little sound module, but the Sound DIver app that came with it doesn't run on current computer hardware, and it's a shame to lose that flexibility.

• Members

AnotherScott wrote:

cresshead wrote:

future proofing...interesting thing to think about with 'new hardware.'...

This is one reason I buy keyboards that have real MIDI ports, and avoid anything that is USB-only.

This has already become something of an issue. The Roland JV-1010 is a great little sound module, but the Sound DIver app that came with it doesn't run on current computer hardware, and it's a shame to lose that flexibility.

the minibrute HAS midi ports as well as USB  but requires a USB connection to a host computer to change the midi channel, velocity/after touch pressure curve and pitch bend it's working on...the synth itself cannot change it's midi channel...this is a 2012 synth i find this extremly perplexing looking toward 2020 when windows and osx might be just a fond memory..

this was Arturia's first hardware analogue synth so they can be forgiven for making such a basic error..i'm now rather intertested in finding out if they learned anything from this and fixed such things in the microbrute.

• Members

This is nothing new.  Try finding parts for electronic instruments made in the '70s and '80s.  Some are fairly easy, others not so.  And some instruments are well known for having things go bad, such as the Roland Juno 106, and its custom VCA and VCF chips, which are also used in the MKS30 and GR700. There are enough Junos around that replacement chips have begun to be manufactured.  Stuff with a far smaller user community isn't likely to see the same thing happen.

Archived