Reason 6 vs Komplete and a DAW, what do you think?

DJ RAZZ

• Members

Reason 6 is looking very good to me these days. More important as a complete recording setup, the demos are sounding good. Komplete is sort of the known bang for the buck VSTi and has always sounded good.

Yes I know there is so much more out there, not to mention the instruments that are included in nearly every DAW these days.

For example and personal preference, I also like the Arturia Laboratory and think it is a cool combo, but back on point.

Reason or Komplete as an all around VSTi? NI does have more acoustic options so let's focus more on synth stuff. Piano software and hardware can be found everywhere and sounds darn good these days.

Komplete will need a DAW of course.

With that being said is it still worth it to get Komplete and a DAW of choice or can Reason now finally make a record.

• Members

you might be surprised by how close to "pro" you can become with the latest vers of Reason - they synths are pretty powerful and the sampler is excellent - built-in EFX are also excellent

Two additional stikes FOR Reason - reletively simple and consistent UI and reletively light CPU usage

best of luck

• Members

I own Reason 6 and love it. But the huge let down for me is still no MIDI-Out support. That's correct you cannot sequence any of your external gear in Reason. This is a major problem for me since all of my external gear sounds better, and/or I'm not skilled enough to get Reason's own devices to sound as good as external gear (i.e. my romplers and VAs).

• Members

I would miss the compression, vocal processing, and pitch correction that is all needed for pro recordings.

Reason has all that stuff now (pitch correction was added in v5).

Best argument for Reason 6: CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP...$399. Nicely integrated, very stable.

Komplete alone is $499, then add a DAW...

Good music played well is far more important than anything else when it comes to sounding professional, after all.

• Members

Reason has all that stuff now (pitch correction was added in v5).

Best argument for Reason 6:
CHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP
...$399. Nicely integrated, very stable.

Komplete alone is $499, then add a DAW...

Good music played well is far more important than anything else when it comes to sounding professional, after all.

Wow good pitch correction was big for me. I use it all the time, sparingly of course. :rolleyes:

• Members

I think reason would also be a better buy. There's tons of refills and I think it's a highly accessible program that's aimed at electronic music production. I think in comparison, komplete almost feels random even though it's got tons of content. Massive is a bit obtuse and is the only out of the box VA you've got (I think) and there's reaktor, but then you'd have to learn that.. and you'd need a DAW..

I'd get reason, refills for anything you think you'd need then later get a DAW and rewire into it if and when you're ready or need that..

• Members

Why I use Reason as my recorder/arranger:

1.) It's easier to set up sound design that spans across the traditional "boundaries" between devices. I.e. compression, reverb, chorus, synthesis, sampling, amp sims, and everything else can be rolled up into one big gloppy mess if you so wish. The consistent interface and lack of menus (I only hit menus for setting up audio input/output and opening or saving files) makes setting up sonic soup a lot easier than other DAWs.

2.) The mixer in Record/Reason v6 is really cool. You can add channel strips at will and wire them to whatever you want, the EQ sounds pretty good and so do the channel and buss compressors. A mixer input is just another device in the rack and you can use/abuse it in all the usual ways.

3.) Parameters have enough precision to be useful. As long as you set knob response to "very precise" you'll have very good control resolution. It's not quite up to the PC3's level of resolution, but it's definitely better than many plugins/DAWs I've tried (I made the switch to Reason/Record a couple of years ago, so I'm not entirely up-to-date with everything else that's out there).

4.) The price. As mentioned elsewhere, the price is nice.

I think it makes a great compliment to my PC3. Any of the sample-capable instruments in Reason can act as samplers which makes quick work of arranging, and recording is painless enough that even though I'm a hen pecker of a keyboard player I can still get parts down "good enough" for my purposes.

• Members

Well I may be getting the Arturia Laboratory 61 in the next couple of weeks and it will replace my Roland Juno GI. I am pretty nervous about the whole computer thing for it will be replacing the Juno for live performance as my second tier swiss army synth. If this goes well though, it will be on to reason the first part of next year. This will close the door on any hardware analog synth purchases, for I can't afford it both ways.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've used Reason for years... I have several NI and other instruments, but not the Komplete bundle.  I use them with Sonar X3 or Reaper for years also.  

It's nice to focus one one DAW at a time... once you do that you'll appreciate the Reason build.  The final procuct sounds nice with some effort also. If your main focus is reason, take the time to really learn it.  I personally use it for music built for electronic or synths.  I use other DAWS for rock music or guitars.  The ability to use an unlimited library of VSTs for these are great for creativity and experimentation, and the VSTs work with other DAWS so the learning curve is not as great switching between them.  Definitely pick Reason if your budget is tighter and want to keep the musci electro-related.

Archived