Using Korg Electribe MkII to sequence Vermona DRM?

Josh33

• Members

Eh.. no luck over at Gear Slutz..

Hey everyone,

I'm kinda new to the whole MIDI/Sequencer/Drummachine world so please go easy on me. facepalm.gif

I'm looking to get into some different styles of writing that include a drum machine (specifically a TR-909 style but I'm open to others). Basically what I want is a drum machine that is easy to program/sequence like a tr-x0x style machine that has multiple patterns that can be switched on the fly and has onboard memory to save said patterns (Hoping to do a one man band type thing). I'm also looking to use an actual piece of hardware as opposed to a piece of software and a computer.

I know the Vermona DRM MK1 isn't really going for the 909 style, but i feel like I can get it close enough to what I need. This is also experimental for me so I'm open to other sounds. I have been looking all around for the perfect fit but I have no idea what I am looking for to be honest. To top it off I'd like to keep my entire drummachine rig under as well under $1000 as possible.

SO... I was thinking about picking up a Korg Electribe ER-1 MK2 (Found one for $100 on craigslist) and using that to sequence a Used Vermona DRM MK 1 on eBay or somewhere.

Machines I have looked at include various combos of the Tanzibar, Jomox 880, Acid Lab's Miami, Elektron Machine drum (probably the best to program the vermona but out of my price range), DSI Tempest, and a few others.

My questions are:

1. Will this even work or is there another solution?

2. Are there any other drum machines, sequencers that I should be looking at?

TL;DR... Help! Thanks!

Oh also, if there are any other forums I should post at, please let me know.

• Members

I was dissapointed with the vermona DRM.  The most dissaponting thing about it is the kick.  Besides that it has very low headroom/output and a high noise floor. 

Why get two peices of gear anyway?  Just get one.  Any of your other options would work on their own, they have their own sequencers.  Or you could just get a Korg esx1 and download samples of whatever classic drums you want to load into it.

You're a noob so you don't need analog as much as you think you do, analog samples are good enough for any musician, as is machinedrums digital sounds.  If you still think u need analog just get a miami. 

machinedrum uw is pretty much the ****.  You can't go wrong with that if you're willing to put the work in and learn the thing.

Archived