Synth Lighting

KingVidiot

• Members

I like to keep my synth cave like a real cave with subdued to little light. Moody and relaxing...

However, it makes editing and reading certain LCD screens tough.

Anyone here have a good recommendation for variable setting, rechargeable book or other lights that I could buy in bulk, and turn them on as needed and charge once a week? I probably need about 20 of them.

I found a few options on Amazon, but I want to see what other folks are doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Just thinking out loud- Most auto parts stores have 15" strips of LEDs that run on 12VDC in various colors as well as color changing. Presuming you set up is at least semi-permanent, you could place on of these on the underside of the keyboard above it and run the whole mess of them on a decent sized transformer. For example:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PIL2/CZ181B/N0383.oap?ck=Search_N0383_-1_-1&pt=N0383&ppt=C0335

Might be dimmable by voltage. I would buy one and power it up around each device/keyboard and make sure it doesn't induce noise into any of the line level cables.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

finally replying to an old post - I found some great LED battery/AC folding arm lights with 3 brightness settings on Amazon for about $7 each (only $120 bucks for the lot)

they can be "velcro-ed" to the back panel of any synth very easily and they put out enough light for most synth panels (not a JD-800, it would need 2 of them) :-)

the 3 AAs last a long time and I have no wires all over, getting in the way (I can use NiMHs if I get too crazy with the battery usage)

I can put gels on them if needed as well to make things more interesting

• Members

Here is a solution I came up with, for lighting on my lower-tier synth in a 2-synth setup...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DhEAAOSwtqRbdezi/s-l1600.jpg

I got 2 of them, you can stick them to the underside of the upper keyboard. Uses 3 AAA batteries, but after a while I got tired of replacing batteries, and decided to mod them so they work off a 4.5V wall-wart adapter.

• Members

yep, the folding lights were only for my tops of the 3 tier stands - I attached some puck lights (3 for $7 at Fry's) similar to yours under all my 2nd and 3rd tiers - work great and eventually I may need to mod them or just use NiMHs for everything

Archived