Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

12271738

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Still using mine. Gigged with it last week and doing it again this week-end. The momentary harmony switch feature really works out well. I play the guitar and control the harmonies while the bassist sings. I am able to hit harmonies on just certain phrases really smoothly now. I got great comments from audience members that had seen us previously and commented that our singing has improved. Overall I'm quite satisfied with it although I do get a bit of distortion on the harmonies that I can't seem to fully dial out but its not that noticeable.

    Comment


    • Valen:



      Distortion, could be a number of different things that would cause that. A cheap microphone, singing to close and too loud into the microphone, or having the volume cranked up too high somewhere in the chain. The vocalist, or mixer. Its best to back off a little from the microphone and see if that makes a difference. If not start tracing the chain and the settings of the other things that can cause distortion. Yeah, sounds simple, that don't over look the minor details.



      Cheers,





      Mike T.
      Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Model III, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro, Oberheim DMX, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, original Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1, lots of PA gear.

      Comment


      • For those wondering whether to get the Live4: I am a decent lead vocalist and harmony guy and love the Live4. It's easy to use and produces nice sound. I have not tried the pitch correction - if you're not careful about pitch control it can sound ugly. I'm going to try it with a keyboard as well, though it's not designed for it.



        Here's a problem I am having, though: I cable my guitar right to the "guitar in" channel, as the manual says; then run it out from "Guitar Thru" to a stomp box and to the mixer. The manual implies this will bypass the Live4's guitar effects. It does not do this, and my stomp box does not affect the sound (have checked cables, batteries, etc). Any suggestions?



        Thanks.

        Comment








        • Quote Originally Posted by williamwray
          View Post

          For those wondering whether to get the Live4: I am a decent lead vocalist and harmony guy and love the Live4. It's easy to use and produces nice sound. I have not tried the pitch correction - if you're not careful about pitch control it can sound ugly. I'm going to try it with a keyboard as well, though it's not designed for it.



          Here's a problem I am having, though: I cable my guitar right to the "guitar in" channel, as the manual says; then run it out from "Guitar Thru" to a stomp box and to the mixer. The manual implies this will bypass the Live4's guitar effects. It does not do this, and my stomp box does not affect the sound (have checked cables, batteries, etc). Any suggestions?



          Thanks.




          The guitar through is a dry pass through of the signal, but you also have to make sure the guitar level is at 0 on the mix knobs. Otherwise the processed guitar will also come out the VL4 main outs.
          Tyler King
          Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

          -Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
          .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
          .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
          -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
          -Digitech GSP 1101
          -Digitech Jam Man Looper
          -Digitech Harmony Man
          -Digitech Time Bender
          -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
          -Lexicon FW810S IO box
          -Lexicon MX400

          Comment








          • Quote Originally Posted by Failure Theory
            View Post

            The guitar through is a dry pass through of the signal, but you also have to make sure the guitar level is at 0 on the mix knobs. Otherwise the processed guitar will also come out the VL4 main outs.




            This is my third day with the VL4. It has tremendously increased my stage presence with the harmony smorgasboard. Two questions have come up(so far). I am running my Takamine into the VL4 and thru guitar out thru a Zoom A2.1u acoustic effects pedal then thru my Jam Man looper into an old Fender/sunn PA. If I am using the A2 acoustic effects pedal for all my guiutar effects what do I need to set the guitar effects on or do I just not engage the effects at all?

            Also: Is not having the guitar effects engaged going tohave any affect on the VL4's interpretation of my chord progression in it's "on the fly"adjusting of the harmonies.

            Oz

            Comment


            • I'm running into a problem with my VL4 cutting out...it will allow the guitar through, but the vocals with cut out...sometimes in a harmony mode...other times just in vocal mode...anyone else have this happen to them????

              Comment








              • Quote Originally Posted by vintage country
                View Post

                I'm running into a problem with my VL4 cutting out...it will allow the guitar through, but the vocals with cut out...sometimes in a harmony mode...other times just in vocal mode...anyone else have this happen to them????




                I never had any problem with my VL4 malfunctioning, and I used it plenty, including at many gigs, over a period of two years. Check your chords (probably already did that), but it sounds like it could be a chord issue. Otherwise, it sounds like a defect.
                Rickeysound
                http://www.thevynals.com

                Comment


                • Ha, check your "cords" too - although chords can also be a problem. : )
                  Rickeysound
                  http://www.thevynals.com

                  Comment








                  • Quote Originally Posted by vintage country
                    View Post

                    I'm running into a problem with my VL4 cutting out...it will allow the guitar through, but the vocals with cut out...sometimes in a harmony mode...other times just in vocal mode...anyone else have this happen to them????




                    I think it's your noise gate setting - if it's set too rigid it stops the sound from getting through to the unit. This happened to me again just on the weekend as I was altering it for a show - you find you have to sing louder to make the harmony work and it "cuts in". The spot to find it is at the Comp/Gate row - last control. Different club/gig conditions may mean you do need to adjust it. I'm pretty sure that's it - let us know.
                    Keith (The Whiners)
                    Sample using the VL 4 in a LIVE scenario ... Hear The Whiners using the VL and TC Helicon Harmony G units combined for harmony in recordings at The Whiners Web

                    Comment


                    • thanks Keith...I'll check that...just got the unit back from the tech and he said he could not dupilcate the fault...however upon hooking it up at home and running it through the board, one of the user presets cuts in and out....now I have something to look/at try...tks again

                      Comment


                      • I played at an acoustic night just recently and the sang 'Paul Simon's "Train In the Distance" a song that is sung in a somewhat low [not high] vocal pitch. Some members in the tiny theatre said they could not hear my vocals. Now I am using the theatre's PA which is run by a very experience PA man/musician. But I am using my VL4 for the song.

                        This is a situation: when one performer finishes, another one jumps in immediately and sets up in no time and starts playing. So its best you have your!@!@!$% together. My comp\gate setting might have been set to 1pm. Could it have been the Comp\gate? I don't know; after 3 years of having this box, one would think, that I should have mastered it by now. But some of these subtle settings are sometimes forgotten.

                        Comment


                        • Keith, if you could hear your singing through the monitor(s) clearly, I don't know that I would point the finger at the gate setting. It could be that the sound man didn't have your vocals set loud enough on the FOH system.





                          Mike T.
                          Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Model III, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro, Oberheim DMX, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, original Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1, lots of PA gear.

                          Comment


                          • Hi everyone,



                            I'm new to this forum and just purchased the VL4, I have had the VL2 for a couple of years and loved it, just decided to upgrade because of the extra options. I have been reading as much on this forum as I can and taking advantage of everyone's great advice. Thanks to all of you for all of the input I have made some minor adjustments to some of the presets and was able to find a great sound. The only question I have is when playing the guitar, do any of you notice when you step on the harmony switch it effecting the guitar with the harmony sound? I have the guitar effects turned off. I didn't notice it before with the VL2, but I wasn't checking for it either. The only reason I thought to check was there was a previous post about this issue, I have looked back and can't find it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!



                            Thanks,



                            Jim

                            Comment








                            • Quote Originally Posted by jtarbet2
                              View Post

                              Hi everyone,



                              I'm new to this forum and just purchased the VL4, I have had the VL2 for a couple of years and loved it, just decided to upgrade because of the extra options. I have been reading as much on this forum as I can and taking advantage of everyone's great advice. Thanks to all of you for all of the input I have made some minor adjustments to some of the presets and was able to find a great sound. The only question I have is when playing the guitar, do any of you notice when you step on the harmony switch it effecting the guitar with the harmony sound? I have the guitar effects turned off. I didn't notice it before with the VL2, but I wasn't checking for it either. The only reason I thought to check was there was a previous post about this issue, I have looked back and can't find it again. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!



                              Thanks,



                              Jim




                              Hi Jim, I'm not entirely clear what's happening but I think it's this: when you hit the harmony pedal your guitar tone doesn't change but, it suddenly sounds like harmony is now on the guitar sound as well as voice. If that's the case, then you are getting a leak through the mic itself. Are you using an acoustic? Acoustics tend to bleed a bit over the vocal mic because they tend to be loud enough on their own to cut through.



                              There are a couple of things you could do ... try a feedback buster in the sound-hole of the guitar and also try adjusting the noise gate on the VL 4. If you close the gate up a bit it won't open up for the sound of your guitar but still allow your voice to get through. Instructions are in the manual for this.



                              If you are using an electric, it's not usually gong to bleed through your vocal mic unless you crank your amp up really loud and it's right behind you - still could be the same issue.



                              Hope that's it.
                              Keith (The Whiners)
                              Sample using the VL 4 in a LIVE scenario ... Hear The Whiners using the VL and TC Helicon Harmony G units combined for harmony in recordings at The Whiners Web

                              Comment


                              • This is interesting because I too get effects even with the ' effects ' Footswitch on the off position. I dont believe that having the "effects" Footswitch in the off position entirely turns off all effects. On page 12 of the manual it clearly states ' the EFFECTS footswitch activates or deactivates SOME or all of them simultaneously.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X