Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the VL4 manual page 5:

"When stereo is selected, the harmony voices are panned slightly left and right, and certain effects (chorus, flanger, and reverb) operate in stereo."
    Tyler King
    Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

-Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
    .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
    .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
    -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
    -Digitech GSP 1101
    -Digitech Jam Man Looper
    -Digitech Harmony Man
    -Digitech Time Bender
    -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
    -Lexicon FW810S IO box
    -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by patito
      View Post

HEY DUDE, how is going?

"i have some Doubts about the way of work of the VL4, i want to know if it is why I need.

applying the peach correction to the lead voice, whitout harmony voice, my question is:

if I play guitar, the VL4 detect the complete chord? (I mean, if is mayor, minor, or whit some note changed)

and the voice correction is fixed based on the complete scale of the chord (I mean, if I playing Cmaj the correction will be based on the major scale of C [C, D, E, F, G, A, B]) and any incorrect voice note will be fixed by the peach correction automatically?, so the same will happen any time that I change the chord on my guitar?

Hey Patito, I noticed that your question never was completely answered.

The pitch correction is fine for me. I think it is suitable if all you need is an occasional bump to get on pitch. It is processing real time so it can never be as good as a studio pitch correction.

The recommendation for pitch correction and key is to simply set the pitch correction to Chromatic (A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, etc...), then it always works regardless of the key or what the guitar is doing. If you're off by a lot (like a semi-tone / half-step) this may not work, but then again if you are that far off, pitch correction won't save you anyway!
      Tyler King
      Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

-Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
      .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
      .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
      -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
      -Digitech GSP 1101
      -Digitech Jam Man Looper
      -Digitech Harmony Man
      -Digitech Time Bender
      -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
      -Lexicon FW810S IO box
      -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• Does anyone know if there's a reason why none of the vocal effects floor processors have on/off switches/buttons? I now have four of them: the VL4, the Electro-Harmonix V256 Vocoder, the TC Helicon Harmony G and the Doubler - yet none of them have on/off switches. I play around with several of them at a time and have to plug and unplug the wall worts to turn them all on or off. All my guitar pedals have on/off buttons. Seems odd.
        Rickeysound
        http://www.thevynals.com

Comment

• Hello,

I tried the VL4 for a couple of hours, and found it nice except for one issue:

It seems the unit isn't picking up sufficient input from my guitar (standard Fender strat). The light indicator weren't able to turn green/amber except when pounding extremely hard on the guitar.

Hence, the harmonies didn't work when the VL4 couldn't pick up which chords I was playing.

Anybody experienced this problem? My guitar the problem, the VL4 I tried or settings I didn't adjust?

Anders

Comment

• There's an adjustment you can make in the parameters if your guitar signal is too low. It's described in the manual. Try that fix and see if it works.
            Rickeysound

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Rickeysound
              View Post

Does anyone know if there's a reason why none of the vocal effects floor processors have on/off switches/buttons? I now have four of them: the VL4, the Electro-Harmonix V256 Vocoder, the TC Helicon Harmony G and the Doubler - yet none of them have on/off switches. I play around with several of them at a time and have to plug and unplug the wall worts to turn them all on or off. All my guitar pedals have on/off buttons. Seems odd.

I use an 8 outlet powerstrip. I plug everything into it, whether it has an on/off switch or not. This way I just hit one button and everything turns on (and off).

For the items near my mic stand, Harmony G, Alesis SR-16 and my laptop, I use a 15 foot cord with three outlets. I plug that into the strip that sits near my amp where I have my amp, mixer, and anything else plugged dirctly into to it.

My complaint is the A/B box I use for switching between my accoustic and electric. It uses batteries only. You turn it on and off by plugging and unplugging the guitar cord. I always forget to unplugg the cord. I've killed dozens of batteries. Why can't that have an AC/DC opton? Do they make a 9v AC adaptor? I'll have to look into that.

David

Comment

View Post

There's an adjustment you can make in the parameters if your guitar signal is too low. It's described in the manual. Try that fix and see if it works.

Thanks Rickey. I'll try to find the adjustment setting.

Brgds, Anders

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anders H
                  View Post

Thanks Rickey. I'll try to find the adjustment setting.

Brgds, Anders

If they haven't changed the book the instructions should be on page 13 and 23.

David

Comment

• David - I have cords for my pedalboard with 9-volt battery connectors at one end and a 1/8th inch plug (for the pedal board power input) on the other. I wonder if anyone makes something like that but with a regular plug.
                    Rickeysound

Comment

View Post

Does anyone know if there's a reason why none of the vocal effects floor processors have on/off switches/buttons? I now have four of them: the VL4, the Electro-Harmonix V256 Vocoder, the TC Helicon Harmony G and the Doubler - yet none of them have on/off switches. I play around with several of them at a time and have to plug and unplug the wall worts to turn them all on or off. All my guitar pedals have on/off buttons. Seems odd.

It is an interesting observation. I think we need a 'floor processor' techie to weigh in on this one. I always used to believe if you switch on a power strip ; you make sure whatever is connected to the strip is in the off position. And this would be the same when switching the power strip off then everything connected to the power strip should be in the off position. I was always afraid I might blow a fuse or wreck the box or pedal.

Comment

• Yeah, since guitar effects stompboxes aren't like that, I was wondering if there was some particular tech reason why on-off switches aren't included on the likes of the VL4, Harmony G, etc.
                        Rickeysound

Comment

• Hi to all,

Not sure if this has been mentioned in previous posts?

I also use a VL4 when out gigging with the band and also when doing the sound for my fathers band. I wire the VL4 up as follows,

I use a splitter from the mic, plug the splitter in to the mic and you will have to male ends, one mic lead goes straight to the mixer in to one channel, the other mic lead goes through the VL4 and in to another channel on the mixer.

On the VL4, turn the main vocal volume to off or right down and increase the harmony vocal to around 3/4's. I then set the eq on the harmony channel at the desk different to the main vocal channel, I also turn the monitor send on the harmony channel to off as the lads in the band find that if the harmony is coming back at them through the monitors it can put them off.

If I am working the desk, the VL4 harmony can be permanantly set to on as I control as when to bring the harmony in from the desk, you also get a more natural sounding harmony as opposed to a boxy sound when routing it the way it tells you in the manual.

For most of the bands set I have the VL4 set 3rd up & 3rd down as the band already has 2 part harmonies from the other members.

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated to unnderstand?

Lee
                          Keep Music "Live"

www.thekasuals.co.uk - www.thefourmost.co.uk

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by leeroysilk
                            View Post

Hi to all,

Not sure if this has been mentioned in previous posts?

I also use a VL4 when out gigging with the band and also when doing the sound for my fathers band. I wire the VL4 up as follows,

I use a splitter from the mic, plug the splitter in to the mic and you will have to male ends, one mic lead goes straight to the mixer in to one channel, the other mic lead goes through the VL4 and in to another channel on the mixer.

On the VL4, turn the main vocal volume to off or right down and increase the harmony vocal to around 3/4's. I then set the eq on the harmony channel at the desk different to the main vocal channel, I also turn the monitor send on the harmony channel to off as the lads in the band find that if the harmony is coming back at them through the monitors it can put them off.

If I am working the desk, the VL4 harmony can be permanantly set to on as I control as when to bring the harmony in from the desk, you also get a more natural sounding harmony as opposed to a boxy sound when routing it the way it tells you in the manual.

For most of the bands set I have the VL4 set 3rd up & 3rd down as the band already has 2 part harmonies from the other members.

Hope this doesn't sound too complicated to unnderstand?

Lee

Easy to understand you ... I do something similar to this but have added a Harmony G unit as an additional harmony source (VL is left and G is right in the stereo spectrum). I certainly agree a dry signal (separate from the units) and the separate harmony voice control is what takes the system(s) to the next level. Great that they have you in control over the whole deal as it is pretty hard to get buy in from an unknown sound person on using these. A whole discussion a while back about that very thing.

Hearing the harmony back is another thing altogether though - I really need to hear it in monitors or it comes out bad. Probably due to me not being as confident in where I land and your folks just being better singers
                            Keith (The Whiners)
                            Sample using the VL 4 in a LIVE scenario ... Hear The Whiners using the VL and TC Helicon Harmony G units combined for harmony in recordings at The Whiners Web

Comment

• Rickysound said : It seems that the higher the amount, the more digital/artificial the vocals sound. But maybe I've got it wrong. Does anyone else notice that?

Yes I've noticed that; I keep the correction down to 60.

I play bass and sing in a band and the guitarist plugs his guitar into my VL4. I only use 3 above and 3&5 above harmony patches but I've found that if the harmony volume is set for 3 above, when I use the 3&5 above patch the harmonies are too loud.....

At a gig I find it very awkward bending down to adjust the harmony volume knob with a Jazz bass around my neck!

Is there a parameter which can be set to controls/limit the relative volume level of a patch?

Ian

Comment

• Hey all - Just checking in. Miss all the old regulars on this site. I finally removed the VL4 from my pedalboard. It was kind of sad, like saying good-bye to an old friend. But our backup singer has worked out really well. Hope everyone is doing well. Just posted a bunch of new demos of great 60s hits on our website if anyone is interested:

Cheers!
                                Rickeysound

Comment

Working...
                                X