Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrew,

Digitech is the "owner" of these pedals, BUT, it is another design firm that does 95% of the actual design, it is their technology. Of course our engineers work alot with them to get what we want, and we test it, etc... Really though, the engineers only do what they are told to do by marketing/management. So if marketing thinks it will make more money, sell better, or whatever they gauge it by, they will make those calls.

On a semi-related note:

It's interesting how the current economy has played on many companies. At NAMM some guys (regulars) didn't even show up, and many that did have been making small tweaks to currently selling products rather than innovating. I "think" we're somewhere in between caution and innovation...
    Tyler King
    Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

-Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
    .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
    .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
    -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
    -Digitech GSP 1101
    -Digitech Jam Man Looper
    -Digitech Harmony Man
    -Digitech Time Bender
    -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
    -Lexicon FW810S IO box
    -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Failure Theory
      View Post

BTW digitech is releasing a VL3 that has vacuum switches and who know what else (I haven't even looked at it that close yet) take a look at it on their website. I think it is basically a suped up VL2...

I saw a demo of the VL3 at NAMM and you're right. It is a lot like the VL2, but has the ability to store 5 patches w/2 harmony settings per patch that can be accessed by foot control. It also adds genderizing (is that a real word) and a couple of other features. Price is about $300.

I'll probably start saving up to add one to my arsenal (I already have a VL2 and the old Vocalist Performer).
      Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I contributed a little to this forum back when I bought my VL4 many years ago but I haven't had much to say lately (although I have been lurking a little gaining insight from your discussions - thanks for that!). I just noticed the Vocalist Live 3 which is the first thing that has caught my interest since the VL4. I am interested in getting a smaller unit for jams and impromptu sessions. The two effects that I use the most are pitch correction (but don't tell anyone ) and harmony, so this unit seems like a great solution. Has anyone here actually tried one yet? I'd love to get some feedback before I drop the coin on one.

Comment

• I am debating between using my Behringer FCB1010 midi controller, or the 3 button footswitch AND expression pedal for the VLPro. Some of my criteria:

- Must be able to turn harmonies on/off easily (Both have expression pedals),

- Must be able to change presets (both can do this equally),

- Must be able to turn on/off effects like delay (the 3 button switch turns off delay and reverb at the same time, no way to separate)

- Would be nice to turn on/off lead effects like distortion, EQ, and modulation (3 button footswitch only has 3 buttons…)

- Would like lightest/smallest/easiest setup (the 3 button/exp pdl clearly wins out on this one, the FCB1010 is huge)

Has anyone used a midi controller for the VLPro? Are there any smaller midi controllers around $100-$150 (like 6 buttons + 1 exp pdl)?

How about the 3 button switch/exp pdl method; how are people setting this up. Do you just deal with the limitations of the 3 button switch? If the 3 button switch could switch the delay independent of the reverb I would probably just go that route, but since it doesn’t my workaround is to use my MX400 for vocal and guitar reverbs, which means more gear and another footswitch for that. But the reverbs are phenomenal. The sucky thing is that I would still be turning the reverb on/off, so I would have to set the levels to 0 on all my presets….

Man, what to do?
          Tyler King
          Rock, Acoustic and Electric, Progressive

-Stellar "Les Paul Copy" Guitar
          .....PRS HFS Bridge PU w/ coil split
          .....Gibson 57 Classic Neck PU w/ coil split
          -Sigma Acoustic (by Martin)
          -Digitech GSP 1101
          -Digitech Jam Man Looper
          -Digitech Harmony Man
          -Digitech Time Bender
          -Digitech Vocalist Live Pro
          -Lexicon FW810S IO box
          -Lexicon MX400

Comment

• Hey Guys. I just got the TC Helicon Harmony G XT and it is far superior to the Harmony G. Incredible Reverb selection on this one, pitch correction and alot of good choices for harmonies.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by gc24
              View Post

Hey Guys. I just got the TC Helicon Harmony G XT and it is far superior to the Harmony G. Incredible Reverb selection on this one, pitch correction and alot of good choices for harmonies.

Stores up here have hardly even heard of the GXT.

God Bless,

Don

Comment

• Well, educate them!

Comment

• I don't know. I thought I would end up with a Voice Live 2 but I didn't like it. I'm currently trying to determine whether I should keep the Digitech Vocalist 4I've been renting. It can do a lot for me and it sounds good. Does the GTX sound and work great right out of the box?

God Bless,

Don

Comment

• You bet. Yea, it sounds really good with out doing anything to it. I just had to use the USB cable and D/L the updates for it to get the Pitch Correction for it.

Comment

• Hey guys - We shot some videos of our first gig with our new backing vocalist last week. Not the best mix, but you can still hear her. It's like I said in an earlier post - I don't think I could ever go back to the harmonizer. This is an old pop hit from 1968 called Bend Me Shape Me by a band called the American Breed:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thevynal.../2/DppyBHy_YEQ
                      Rickeysound
                      http://www.thevynals.com

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Rickeysound
                        View Post

Hey guys - We shot some videos of our first gig with our new backing vocalist last week. Not the best mix, but you can still hear her. It's like I said in an earlier post - I don't think I could ever go back to the harmonizer. This is an old pop hit from 1968 called Bend Me Shape Me by a band called the American Breed:

http://www.youtube.com/user/thevynal.../2/DppyBHy_YEQ

Oh, you're taking me back. Had a look at the video in the Vynals site. I used to sing all those songs with my band as a 19 year old kid. Seems like yesterday when you hear the music but it was a heck of a long time ago!

God Bless,

Don

P.S. I think I may keep the Vocalist 4. I've written several new songs since I've been working with it. I get inspired by the harmonies. Now I have to figure out how to record.

Comment

• Ha, yes, we were singing them in the sixth and seventh grade. Glad you're getting good use out of the VL4. It's a good product.
                          Rickeysound

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Rickeysound
                            View Post

Ha, yes, we were singing them in the sixth and seventh grade. Glad you're getting good use out of the VL4. It's a good product.

Well I went back to the store and got behind closed doors in the humidified acoustic guitar room with the Voice Live 2 that I got such disappointing results from last weekend. Plugged the unit into a Fender acoustic guitar amp and it sounded good. Last weekend it sounded really bad and even after factory resetting it was the same. Now for some reason it's working like it should so I rented it. I still have 5 days left on my Vocalist 4 rental so I can run these units head to head and see which one works best for me. I have to say that it will take some pretty good stuff to sway me away from the Digitech Product. At twice the price VoiceLive 2 has got to really show me that it is a far superior unit. I'll keep you guys posted.

God Bless,

Don

Comment

• Do that, but remember that by the time you make up your mind, they probably will be coming out with new models.
                              Rickeysound

Comment

• I haven't read all of the V4 comments thread---but I caught the earlier ones and most recent. I've had this product for about two months now. To get the most, you really have to work with it. A few wrong patches and you sound like Cher, awashed with tune-correct awefulness. Get the right effects setting and proper 4 piece note settings and a roomy scale (chromatic or larger) for pitch correct and you really have a great product here. I remember seeing a well-done Live 2 You Tube review where the reviewer stated that the device was dangerous---it could be great, or the cheesiest stink-box you could buy. I believe the Live 4 is even more dangerous. If you slave the Music IQ to a keyboard with simple chords it gets interesting. If you have some arpeggio or frilling-type chords with sustain variables---the harmonies get weird (that means they sound bad, not "cool/trippy.")

I imagine it's the savior of a Journey tribute band or similar------how about Def Lep---or the Eagles? I love this thing, but I just don't know how truly useful it is for me personally other than a marvelous novelty and a great teacher of vocal scales and theory. I've learned a lot about vocal harmonies that I never previously knew.

Speaking of learning----set the pitch correction to as general scaling as possible and record yourself---in most cases you can hear when the correction takes place--it's obvious------which will inform you how imperfect your pitch is. I knew I was pitchy, but oye vey.
                                "Gentleman, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!"--------Dr. Strangelove, Peter Sellers

Comment

Working...
                                X