Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

33037226

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    So, bearing Mike's comments in mind, here's another whirlwind tour of the guitar patches.
    The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

    Comment


    • #92






      Quote Originally Posted by daviel
      View Post

      You have to program the PCI sound and save it somewhere, right? Will the XW-P1 send midi to a computer over usb to play software?




      If I understand your questions correctly...you can edit a factory sound and save it to a user memory location. As to MIDI, yes, the XW-P1 can serve as a controller and send MIDI data over USB. DAWs will recognize it as a valid MIDI input and record it, and you can send MIDI data out to the XW-P1 over MIDI as well.
      The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

      Comment


      • #93
        I'm thinking of buying one of these as the 2nd keyboard in my set up and would be mainly using the strings, pads, and brass section. Currently my 2nd board is a Motif ES6 and I have layered a few brass voices with detune in performance mode, and I'm assuming I could do similar with the XWP1.

        Any thoughts on the quality of the above 3 types of sound would be welcome.









        Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
        View Post

        Let's check out the pianos!



        There are two files. The first one is me playing, trying to hit a range of dynamics and note length (so you can hear the sustain characteristics). The sounds are (in order) Stereo Grand Piano, Dance Piano (sort of your basic M1 house patch), Harpischord - I turned up the performance control a bit to increase the treble - Electric Piano, and DX7-type piano.



        The second file is a whirlwind tour of all the "acoustic" piano sounds (not all the keyboard sounds, though - more to come!). I called up a phrase so you could also hear an example of a typical phrase along with the various sounds. Basically, each piano sound lasts two measures before moving on to the next one.



        You probably won't hear too much difference in the beginning. as some of the pianos have fairly subtle differences - a little bit brighter, more mono than stereo, etc. As the phrases progress, you'll definitely start to notice the range.



        I'm planning on take the whirlwind approach - phase and stepping through programs - for several of the audio examples, as I think that gives a good overview of the available sounds without taking forever by tarrying on each one. Let me know if this approach works for you.




        Comment


        • #94






          Quote Originally Posted by Kevan Barrett
          View Post

          I'm thinking of buying one of these as the 2nd keyboard in my set up and would be mainly using the strings, pads, and brass section. Currently my 2nd board is a Motif ES6 and I have layered a few brass voices with detune in performance mode, and I'm assuming I could do similar with the XWP1.

          Any thoughts on the quality of the above 3 types of sound would be welcome.




          IMHO, the XW-P1 is all about being a synthesizer. That's where it's strongest and most capable, especially when teamed with features like the step sequencer. It's not intended to be a Motif- or Fantom-style ROMpler, but instead, I feel the PCM sounds are there to complement the synthesis options. As was pointed out earlier, you can get some pretty magical stuff by combining the PCM sounds with synthesis using the Hex Layer option. I got sort of sidetracked on the PCM sounds because there was some discussion of the pianos, but they're just one set of building blocks in a very flexible architecture.
          The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

          Comment


          • #95
            Hi. I was wondering if Craig or Mike might go into more detail about how the step sequencer can be used to trigger external gear? If not here then in one of his video tutorials, which are excellent btw . Mainly I am wondering about whether the step sequencer is polyphonic or can only trigger one note per track. While still useful with being able to trigger say a sample loop off of a fixed note, it would be more ideal for overall layering if i was able to trigger a whole drum pattern off one track and use the other tracks for other uses, like more synth layers for example. Still trying to get my head around how the sequencer works. And how it interacts with the arpeggiator and the phrase sequencer, so any more detail would be appreciated!



            And Craig, thanks again for the review of this great piece of gear.

            Comment


            • #96
              Might have had my question answered across the pond:



              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVr9HgEURb8



              around 9:42 he starts using the step sequencer in a more traditional linear method, by playing notes into it, and at 10:19 he plays polyphonically into the sequencer on a single track. so basically he does pretty much what i was wondering about. Now if that can be done to external MIDI equipment then i am buying one.

              Comment


              • #97






                Quote Originally Posted by Kevan Barrett
                View Post

                I'm thinking of buying one of these as the 2nd keyboard in my set up and would be mainly using the strings, pads, and brass section. Currently my 2nd board is a Motif ES6 and I have layered a few brass voices with detune in performance mode, and I'm assuming I could do similar with the XWP1.

                Any thoughts on the quality of the above 3 types of sound would be welcome.




                I think there may be quite a few of us who are interested in using this as a 2nd keyboard. Although the PCM tones may not be the strongest point of this keyboard for many of us they need to be 'good enough' for playing covers in clubs/pubs. So strings, brass, organ are important to us. I for one do not want to using three keyboards, portability is one of the attractive feature of casio keyboards. I have a Privia PX-3 which with tweaking in a club/pub setting is perfectly OK.



                None of my local stores have an XW-P1 in yet so I would be interested in hearing what can be done to produce:



                a brass section

                a sax section

                string quartet.



                How close the organs can get for example to those used in Walk of life, A Whiter Shade of Pale, House of the rising Sun.

                Comment


                • #98





                  None of my local stores have an XW-P1 in yet so I would be interested in hearing what can be done to produce:



                  a brass section

                  a sax section

                  string quartet.



                  Mike says the XW-P1, is using about 60% of the Casio ctk7000/wk7500 sounds, if you hear the demo's for that it should give you an idea what could be possible.










                  How close the organs can get for example to those used in Walk of life, A Whiter Shade of Pale, House of the rising Sun.



                  I think you should get what you want out of the organ sounds.

                  Comment


                  • #99






                    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxblak
                    View Post

                    Might have had my question answered across the pond:



                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVr9HgEURb8



                    around 9:42 he starts using the step sequencer in a more traditional linear method, by playing notes into it, and at 10:19 he plays polyphonically into the sequencer on a single track. so basically he does pretty much what i was wondering about. Now if that can be done to external MIDI equipment then i am buying one.




                    All the tracks except one are "monophonic" tracks. Meaning on each step of the 16-step grid you can only have one note on that step. The last track of the sequencer is polyphonic. Any of the tracks can be internal or external (MIDI) or both at the same time.
                    -Mike Martin
                    Casio America, Inc.

                    Comment


                    • Thanks Mike! Appreciate the feedback. And that is still really cool. Since you can adjust the note of each hit of the step you can easily trigger a plethora of sample loops. Awesome gear.

                      Comment


                      • I was intending to buy a miniak or microstation but I saw this and I probably end up saving up.



                        I'm really unsure which one to buy, I have the MPC 2500 and not sure if the G1 has the same sounds as the P1?. Or should I just stick to the P1?.

                        Comment








                        • Quote Originally Posted by wmfitzgerald
                          View Post

                          I think there may be quite a few of us who are interested in using this as a 2nd keyboard. Although the PCM tones may not be the strongest point of this keyboard for many of us they need to be 'good enough' for playing covers in clubs/pubs. So strings, brass, organ are important to us. I for one do not want to using three keyboards, portability is one of the attractive feature of casio keyboards. I have a Privia PX-3 which with tweaking in a club/pub setting is perfectly OK.



                          None of my local stores have an XW-P1 in yet so I would be interested in hearing what can be done to produce:



                          a brass section

                          a sax section

                          string quartet.



                          How close the organs can get for example to those used in Walk of life, A Whiter Shade of Pale, House of the rising Sun.




                          Will do brass, sax, and strings shortly. Organs are excellent, so no worries there. But I'll do some examples anyway.
                          The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

                          Comment


                          • Y'know...at first I thought it was maybe a mistake to derail this thread into the PCM sounds, but I'm starting to think what's happening is that people are already pretty much convinced about the synthesis aspects, and want to know what else the XW-P1 can do. So I'll hit the PCM sounds for a little bit more, then move on to the other features.
                            The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

                            Comment


                            • I am already sold, but I like reading more about the XW-P1

                              Comment


                              • The Casio XW-P1 Performance Synth, I am shocked as for so many years the sounds that came out of a Casio where not pleasant to hear as many who ever had one or played one knew what they sound like but I think Casio took a bold new step with this new keyboard even though there is a huge amount of pro keyboards on the market today. I remember in the old days when roland putting out a plastic Sh-1 Synth and many laughed at it and today you have musicians going nuts over its sound as roland tries to bring it back today, From a price point not being to critical about the Casio XW-P1 I have to give Casio the thumbs up on the concept of something new, I seen this for many years as music gear gets old and turns into a gold mine for the artist looking for a specific sound to complete his projects or performance. The funny little toy piano has grown up and I wouldn’t be surprised you will see this keyboard every where.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X