Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few technical difficulties like the noisy air conditioner at the office and some lighting problems, but this is the first of several of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DzKhvg_wC0

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.
    -Mike Martin
    Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Thanks Mike... OK, I get your point, I just wished I could tweak a preset and then save it back into it's own slot, so I didn't have to take up another user slot (I don't think 50 user spaces is that much to be honest). I'm going to have a go at creating some iPad templates too... perhaps we should have an upload area for such things on the blog? I haven't checked yet but does the appendices come with a list of the MIDI CCs?

Comment

Can the step sequencer control external parts? i have an MPC 4000. could trigger the sounds from my mpc with the step sequencer? that'd be awesome!!!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by copesland
          View Post

Can the step sequencer control external parts? i have an MPC 4000. could trigger the sounds from my mpc with the step sequencer? that'd be awesome!!!

Yes. Each track can be internal, external or both. USB and MIDI outs can even be addressed independently.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, inc.
          -Mike Martin
          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

I was wondering that myself, so thanks for the answer.

Meanwhile, there's a 1.10 update for the XW-P1 and I think it's an important element of a pro review to mention whether the instructions are clear or not, and the effort involved in doing the update.

Well, high marks to Casio for this one. First off, the instructions are crystal-clear. To do the update itself, you download a file, power up the XW-P1 in update mode, hook a USB cable between the XW-P1 and your computer (you don't need to have installed any prior MIDI/USB driver or anything), and run the executable update program.

The XW-P1 and the computer give you a reassuring progress display so you don't get nervous when it seems to be taking a while (it takes about six minutes to do the update). It tells you when it's erasing data, and when it's writing data. And then it's done, the update executable quits, and the instrument re-starts.

Painless.
            The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

Well, I was going to record some sounds for you tonight, I really was. As the demos that were already posted gave a good idea of the synth sounds, I thought I’d do some of the pianos and other “normal” presets so you could hear the XW-P1 playing instruments other than massive synth layers and such.

But after doing the update, I decided to check out the Data Editor program. Like the update, it was painless to install and get going. And frankly, I got totally involved with the Data Editor because it really helps you understand the synth’s various architectures (Solo Synth, Hex Layer, PCM, Drawbar Organ, etc.) and their editability.

If you have an XW-P1, I highly recommend downloading the editor before you get too deeply into the synth. Seeing all the parameters laid out in front of you, as opposed to scrolling through the LCD, speeds up the learning curve dramatically. Props to Casio for releasing the editor concurrently with the synth.

To start, I thought I’d see if I could get a convincing cello sound as the preset left me cold, and it’s hard to get a really good cello anyway from most synths. However, the PCM sound edits are relatively limited; the following image shows the edit options for a tone (in this case, using a Nylon Guitar patch). There are also DSP options where you can choose among ten different effects, but don’t expect any kind of pitch envelope, matrix modulation, or fancy stuff—PCM Melody is basically choose a sound, modify attack, filter cutoff, release time, octave transpose, velocity response, and vibrato—and add a little chorus or reverb. In case you wondered, the XW-P1 is not a highly-editable ROMpler.

Then I checked out the editability for Hex Layer patches (next picture). This let me get a pretty satisfying cello, as I could animate the sound more with delayed Pitch LFO, and add a slower, very subtle Amp LFO to impart some variations (these are found under the ETC tab). There are also more envelope options. I definitely agree with gneissnfunky about how this architecture really lets the PCM waves come into their own, as you can layer them with synth waveforms and create hybrid sounds—for example, layer a sine wave (or sub-octave sine wave) in the background of piano waveforms, and they acquire a whole other character. This mode is extremely flexible for creating full, layered, interesting sounds.

The Solo Synth mode is where you can really go nuts with the programming. This is what allows for the XW-P1’s exceptionally animated solo lines, basses, and other monophonic synth sounds. Note the separate tabs for Pitch, Filter, and Amp, where you can alter envelopes and LFO control (among other parameters) for each one. There’s also clock triggering, Pulse Width, key following—you get the idea. This is where you can also bring in external inputs, noise, and two PCM waves. Process the whole thing with the T-Filter; this section also has a matrix modulation section for up to eight parameters.

So far I’ve stressed Tone editing options, but the Data Editor does a lot more than that. Here’s a screen for Performance editing.

The Data Editor can also do transfers, backup, convert WAV files for sending into the XW-P1, set preferences, do “package transfers” (okay, I admit I haven’t figured out this one yet), and a few other things. I’ve been told it also makes a great cup of coffee, but that seems a little far-fetched.

Seriously, this is an extremely useful addition to the XW-P1 and I would consider it essential to making maximum use of the instrument. It reveals the unit’s limitations (e.g., the PCM Melody editing) but more importantly, makes the wealth of advanced features more obvious, easier to use, and encourages tweaking and creating your own sounds because it’s easier to use than doing everything from the front panel.

I should also add that after using the Data Editor, it’s easier to do front panel editing because you have a better idea of the “lay of the land.” So you kind of can’t go wrong either way. And interestingly enough, I was able to use the Data Editor with just a cursory look at the User’s Guide (which is both complete and clear, so I look forward to getting into it further to pick up on more details).
              The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

I wonder what happened to MZ-2000's pcm engine. It was fantastic. I'm surely getting XW-P1, but I'd love to see a bit more expensive Casio too! I hardly even dare to think what Casio can make happen with 1000$. Or 2000$ even.

And thanks for the review.
                I am wanting, I am thinking
                To arise and go forth singing,
                Sing my songs and say my sayings,
                Hymns ancestral harmonizing,
                Lore of kindred lyricking.
                In my mouth the words are melting;
                Utterances overflowing
                To my tongue are hurrying,
                Even against my teeth they burst.

Comment

I know the board has 100 user slots for monosynth and 50 or so for hex . is this amount exapanded using an SD card? Can i save sounds to the sd and load to one of the user slots for use? hows does saving sounds to an SD work if possible. can i trigger a wav sound that is saved to the sd card via an external source? thats my idea of dodging the inability to sample with this board.

Also if im using the 16 midi channels for production with an MPC say like this: say channel one is piano and channel 2 is bass . how can i save that arrangement so that when i turn both units off and recall the SONG on the mpc i'm able to turn the Xwp1 on and reload that "SONG" with the appropriate instruments loaded to the channels as i saved them.

(ps. i kno i how midi works. its just on my fantom g i would simply save the song in a song slot. so when i wanted the song recalled i simply loaded the song which consisted only of the instruments on the appropriate channels because the sounds were being triggered by the saved midi data on the mpc!) i didnt notice a song save function so thats where this question stems from. lol i think you get my question

Woa lol sounds way more in depth than it is!! thanks again!!

Comment

hey ANDERTON, man i would love to hear a piano from the new presets. how many new ones were added? can you verify if they used the user slots? if so how many?

lol im full of questions but hey im in the right place for that!

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                      View Post

The Data Editor can also do transfers, backup, convert WAV files for sending into the XW-P1, set preferences, do “package transfers” (okay, I admit I haven’t figured out this one yet), and a few other things. I’ve been told it also makes a great cup of coffee, but that seems a little far-fetched.

Package Transfers:

I admit I didn't entirely understand this one at first. On the Transfer page of the editor you can download any user data (SoloSynth, HexLayers, Phrases, Sequences) from the instrument to your computer. This is the equivalent of saving each individual object to the SD card but this is significantly faster and easier. From the Transfer page you can then take user objects and move them around...arranging all of your performances in a particular order.

The Package Edit is simply another way to create and arrange a set of objects (Performances, User Tones...etc) all in one single file. Since a User Performance might access a specific Step Sequence or other User Tones, the Package Edit tool can help you keep things organized. It might be an easier way to build your Performances in order the order of the set list rather than handling each of these objects on the Transfer page.

At Casio we've collecting a number of sounds, sequences, phrases from our team that has been using the XW-P1 since NAMM. So I think the Package Editor will be something that we can use to organize these files into a more cohesive manner so we will be able finish them and then to release them to the public.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.
                      -Mike Martin
                      Casio America, Inc.

Comment

View Post

I know the board has 100 user slots for monosynth and 50 or so for hex . is this amount exapanded using an SD card? Can i save sounds to the sd and load to one of the user slots for use? hows does saving sounds to an SD work if possible.

You can save and load individual presets for PCM Melody, Performance, Drawbar Organ, Hex Layer, Solo Synth, PCM Drum Tone, DSP, Step Sequence, Step Sequence Chain, Phrase, and Arpeggio. So for example you could import a particular Arpeggio into a particular preset without having to alter the preset. You also save and load All Data. So basically, you can use the SD as a pool of data that you can bring into the synth as desired, overwriting user presets.

The All Data Load process takes about 35 seconds. The button presses needed to get to the All Data load screen from a Tone, Performance, etc. takes about 10 seconds, and the loading process itself takes about 25 seconds. So this is something you wouldn't want to do in the middle of a song, but you can essentially have a new synth setup in 35 seconds. You can think of the SD card as the equivalent of an external hard drive for your computer. I'm using a 4GB card, and that could store enough All Data setups to handle gigs for the next few years

can i trigger a wav sound that is saved to the sd card via an external source? thats my idea of dodging the inability to sample with this board.

You can play back audio from the SD card, but it's a file player - you can't, for example, transfer a bass note to the SD card and then trigger it from different keys as you would with a conventional sampler. (You can also play back Standard MIDI Files.) I'm not that familiar with the XW-G1; it has a sample player (10 Tone with up to five samples in each), but again, I don't think this would be equivalent to a standard sampling keyboard or virtual instrument like Kontakt.

Also if im using the 16 midi channels for production with an MPC say like this: say channel one is piano and channel 2 is bass . how can i save that arrangement so that when i turn both units off and recall the SONG on the mpc i'm able to turn the Xwp1 on and reload that "SONG" with the appropriate instruments loaded to the channels as i saved them.

I'm not sure how the MPC handles MIDI, but the XW-P1 can respond to program change commands.

Comment

View Post

hey ANDERTON, man i would love to hear a piano from the new presets. how many new ones were added? can you verify if they used the user slots? if so how many?

lol im full of questions but hey im in the right place for that!

I'll try to record some later today...no promises, I have to prepare for a seminar in Alaska on Saturday (sadly, I won't be bringing the XW-P1 with me). The piano sounds are factory presets, so they don't use the user presets although of course you can always copy over factory presets to user presets...or edit the factory presets in the Data Editor, then bounce those over to user presets.

Comment

View Post

I know the board has 100 user slots for monosynth and 50 or so for hex . is this amount exapanded using an SD card? Can i save sounds to the sd and load to one of the user slots for use?

The SD Card doesn't expand the user memory. The SD Card is a way for you to backup or store any user data that you create.

View Post

can i trigger a wav sound that is saved to the sd card via an external source? thats my idea of dodging the inability to sample with this board.

No, sorry this is not possible. The XW-P1 can play an audio file from the SD card. So if you had audio backing tracks you could put these on the card, play them and simultaneously perform a lead as an example over the top.

All of your MIDI assignments are set up in a Performance. So you could have one Performance in which some parts are playing sounds from your MPC and another Performance which relies strictly on the sounds in the XW-P1 or any combination of the two.

-Mike Martin

Casio America, Inc.

PS. Apparently Craig is typing faster than me today.
                            -Mike Martin
                            Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Casio Man
                              View Post

I wonder what happened to MZ-2000's pcm engine. It was fantastic. I'm surely getting XW-P1, but I'd love to see a bit more expensive Casio too! I hardly even dare to think what Casio can make happen with 1000$. Or 2000$ even.

And thanks for the review.

You're welcome for the review I look at it this way: The XW-P1 is inexpensive enough you can get a good ROMpler and then have a synth/ROMpler combination.

Don't get me wrong, the PCM section still has much to offer. Some of the sounds are excellent; the ones that aren't are the ones that usually are the weakest in GM-type synths (mainly solo wind and string instruments - you're not going to find a synth in this price range with Vienna Symphony Library-level violin and viola ). And as pointed out, you can layer the PCM sounds with the synth waveforms, which achieves its own kind of coolness. So far, I put the PCM sounds into the "But wait - there's more!!" category. The heart of the PW-X1 is flexible synthesis.

Comment

i see so performance would allow me to do this. awesome!! now with the 16 midi channels of the xwp1 can i say have hex layer on one channel, pcm piano on another, monosynth on another and heck, step sequencer on another? whats the limitations here?

Comment

Working...
                                X