Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I loaded a .mid song into Anvil, changed the GM MIDI instruments to tones I like, and played it on the XW-P1 player, viola, it worked...thank you happyrat...now for the strangeness. I have 771 .mid files on the SD card, I futzed with the first one so I didn't have to scroll alot (which is painfully slow) - "18 and Life". Well, when I entered PLAYER MODE Part 1 was on SOLO SYNTH which is the tone I had it set to previous to entering PLAYER MODE, but I could not mess with the tone nor change the tone using the sliders or wheel. When I forwarded the song, then came back to it, I no longer was in SOLO SYNTH mode as it was changed to a GM patch (distortion guitar I think)...I think this happened because Part I of the next song was a GM, and once the player plays a GM in Part I, then it's stuck in GM, I tested this theory by forwarding through songs with no Part I parts and it stayed in SOLO SYNTH until I got to a song with a GM in Part I...Additionally if that wasn't strange enough, all the songs on the SD card were changed, their parts mimicked what I did with with "18 and Life" (though 1999 in flute did sound cool)...So that's where I'm at, any answers would be greatly appreciated...I still can't understand why I can't use the the mixer to edit the parts in PLAYER MODE, as that would seem like the simplest fix...I'm assuming what I'm doing is not the intended purpose of the Smf player, if that were so I thought there'd be much more functionality, so, what is the intended use in that case?
    Time is precious - you can't buy it or take it with you when you're gone - don't waste it.

Comment

• I think part of the problem here is that when the XW-P1 plays a multipart MIDI it's a limitation of the synthesis engine.

Mike mentioned something previously about the Solo Synth and Drawbar Organs and Hex Mode PCMs being mutually exclusive in playback mode. I think that's the wall we are hitting here. When you try and ask the synth to play with too many engines at once, it simply falls back to failsafe and plays the closest PCM mode.

At least that's my theory. I'm still waiting to hear back from Mike on that one.

Incidentally, as I mentioned earlier, the MIDI spec for *.MID files offers no support for extended voice support beyond the standard 128 GM voices. You might have missed that, in all the INS stuff, but basically you are asking the XW-P1's built in sequencer to do things that it was never intended to do.

I think it's limited in that it's able to load and play a MID file but unable to handle a conversion to a Casio friendly format internally.

Comment

• Well I got my replacement P1 and have been playing around following some of the guides from these posts and the links and manual, see Craig....I listened..but keep in mind i'm new to synths.

Anyway, I'm confused on performance use. I want to be able to switch between a basic piano sound in the beginning of a song to a split type set up, synth/base bottom and synth/strings top, and back without fumbling around. Which tool do I use? Performance mode, step sequencer?? No tempo and backing track, just playing live and need to switch around sounds on the fly. Hex layer? ..sorry...I'll just wait for the answer.

sorry if this is redundant or too basic for this review. If you can direct me where to look for answers am happy to read and research on my own.

Comment

• I'm not big on performing live, but I think I can field this one.

If you're looking to setup up splits and layers and voices and whatnot for a live gig, my approach would be to copy the patches and splits and layers and beats and whatnot to consecutive user slots in performance mode and then just step back and forth thru them in a live gig with the + and - buttons.

That sounds about right to me in theory. How about you?

Comment

• Sounds right in theory..I'll work it that way for now. Only concern would be if I had 3 or 4 different setups for a song and I had to go from the 4th to the 1st would cause some delay I would think...we'll see.

Thanks for the guidance..much appreciated.

Comment

• Was also wondering if utilizing the mixer and slide bars could accomplish...bringing up a specific sound at specific times...

Comment

• If you had to jump around 4 or 5 setups you could :

A) Punch the numbers in directly from the keypad

or

B) Set up one of them thar fancy schmancy MIDI control pedals to feed Macro commands and program changes directly to the keyboard.

Lord knows there's a million of em out there to choose from

http://g-force.info/midiboard_comparison.htm

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Anderton
                  View Post

Okay...here's a version that also implements all controllers between 0 and 127 that are included in the XW-P1. Of course, Sonar already has dedicated MIDI envelopes for pitch wheel and aftertouch, so I didn't need to cover those. As to RPNs and NRPNs...you're on your own! I'm surprised I got this far

Note that some controllers serve double-duty, depending on which engine is selected - for example, CC74 controls filter resonance but if a Drawbar Organ sound is selected, it controls the level of drawbar 2-2/3.

For reference, here are the controller assignments included in the .INS file.

[Casio XW-P1 Controllers]

0=0 Bank Select MSB

1=1 Modulation

5=5 Portamento Time

6=6 Data Entry MSB

7=7 Volume

10=10 Pan

11=11 Expression

16=16 General Use 1

17=17 General Use 2

18=18 General Use 3

19=19 General Use 4

32=32 Bank Select LSB

38=38 Data Entry LSB

64=64 Hold 1

65=65 Portamento (Solo Synth)

66=66 Sostenuto

67=67 Soft

70=70 Drawbar Position 16

71=71 Filter Res, Drawbar 5-1/3

72=72 Release Time, Drawbar 8

73=73 Attack Time, Drawbar 4

74=74 Filter Cutoff, Drawbar 2-2/3

75=75 Drawbar 2

76=76 Vibrato Rate, Drawbar 1-3/5

77=77 Vibrato Depth, Drawbar 1-1/3

78=78 Vibrato Delay, Drawbar 1

79=79 Drawbar Organ Type

80=80 General Use 5

81=81 General Use 6

82=82 General Use 7

83=83 General Use 8

84=84 Drawbar 2nd Perc

85=85 Drawbar 3rd Perc

86=86 Drawbar Perc Decay

87=87 Drawbar Click On

88=88 Drawbar Click Off

89=89 Vibrato Rate Drawbar

90=90 Vibrato Depth Drawbar

91=91 Reverb Send

93=93 Chorus Send

98=98 NRPN LSB

99=99 NRPN MSB

100=100 RPN LSB

101=101 RPN MSB

120=120 All Sound OFF

121=121 Reset All Controllers

123=123 All Notes OFF

124=124 Omni Off

125=125 Omni On

126=126 Mono On

127=127 Poly On

BTW, I just wanted to make the suggestion, even though it may be obvious, that Mike should submit the final file for inclusion on Casio's XW-P1 Support Downloads Page. It seems pretty thoroughly debugged and complete now and I'm not really expecting any more major revisions.

And once again, BIG THANKS to Mike and Craig for a job well done!!!

Gary

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
                    View Post

If you had to jump around 4 or 5 setups you could :

A) Punch the numbers in directly from the keypad

Let me elaborate on that. The XW-P1 arranges its patches in banks, and there are 10 presets within a bank. You can select any preset within that bank by simply hitting one button - for example if you were in User Bank 0, preset 4, the display would show U-4. If you wanted to jump to preset 1, you'd just press the 1 button, and you'd be there - the display would show U-1. If you wanted to jump to preset 9, just press 9 and now the display will show U-9.

So the bottom line (which is true for Performances or Tones):

• Getting to any preset within a given bank is one button press.

• Getting to any preset within a different bank is three button presses - Num/Bank button, number that represents the bank, number that represents the preset.

• If you're switching from a User bank to a Preset bank or vice-versa, that adds one more button press.

jdc513, I'm glad you got a working XW-P1 . Bear in mind that it may only be a $500 synthesizer, but it's pretty deep and there is a learning curve if you want to exploit it to the fullest - after all, the XW-P1 is a musical instrument

The cool part, though, is that even after working with this synth pretty extensively since this review started, I'm still finding cool things to do with it, and there are still areas I haven't fully explored. I also really like that it takes a unique approach to synthesis. I have a Yamaha Motif XS6 and Korg M3 - fantastic synthesizers I'd never trade - yet the XW-P1 complements them and provides an entirely different "skill set."

The manual is helpful, but I highly recommend downloading the editor and using that to understand the synth's architecture. It got me up to speed fast on what was going on "under the hood," and you can do on-screen tweaks and hear the results immediately, without having to poke through menus.
                    The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by happyrat1
                      View Post

BTW, I just wanted to make the suggestion, even though it may be obvious, that Mike should submit the final file for inclusion on Casio's XW-P1 Support Downloads Page. It seems pretty thoroughly debugged and complete now and I'm not really expecting any more major revisions.

And once again, BIG THANKS to Mike and Craig for a job well done!!!

Gary

Glad to help, even though Mike did most of the work , and I learned a lot in the process. Also I'm not kidding, Instrument Definition files will indeed be the subject of my next Sonar techniques column for Sound On Sound so thanks for that!
                      The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

• First off thanks to Craig Mike and others for good class and time on this Synth. I’m a real Johnnie come lately to this thread but had to plow through the 20 pages/patches to makes sure my main questions was not already answered. I’ll start by saying I have had a WK-3000 for years and no issue on the $$/plastic/name thing. Not ashamed of my cheapskate gene (my music budget started out low) as if I can pay less for something that does a good job I am proud to make that decision and work it.

To give background on narrow questions below-- I have played on and off 40+ years and unfortunately have little time to play outside my job and other main hobby. I gig cover and blues bands (my own fun is Jimmy Smith thing ect). So I have not had time for good synth understanding - other than tweaking effects. The WK-3000 has been relegated to the closet past few years as over the years I acquired a Kurz SP88 for piano and Roland XP-30 with sounds of 60/70s. Those 2 just sound better/cleaner IMO for my piano organ usage. (I have Hammond SS drawbar and acoustic piano at home)

BUT – that being said I like Casio because it was huge bang for buck and that WK-3000 still does things that my others won’t because I love Deep purple and was able to tweak the distortion -which is unusable on Roland for example (adds too much buzz). And the one vintage EP on WK-3000 I still miss compared to many on the 60/70 card that do not have as much punch.

This has been a weird day because I started researching a Boss RT-20 pedal to get better Leslie growl and another guy was talking about pairing it with Casio WK and next thing I know I am finding that thread mentions WK-7500. I figured it may be big sound improvement/next gen and SO excited to see the actual drawbars on the 7500 but could not believe that 7500 had no MIDI in/out. SO I find my way here and am curious about XW-P1 ---BUT I read on another site that the drawbars only work in 3 increments- and are noisy in the jump. That was so disappointing to me because I considered that a big shortcoming of the WK-3000. I might still use it if I could just dial in a hint of the 1” bar and some others (not 0 to 1/3). Drawbar players low set DB a lot.

So MAIN QUESTION - do the drawbars only work in 1/3 increments (as the older WK)? I noted the program above but want to also confirm that even though the drawbars are shown in many graduations – do they only function/jump in ¼ notches (including 0 off)? If they have that limitation I might not be interested in this model—that would not be a step up from the WK3000.

I had a whole list of items that I researched today in manual and a utube by Mike (thanks!) – Even though I’m not a real pro and I am a real novice on programming synth thought I’d share some observations and some lesser questions (please excuse my vintage taste; already obvious above huh)

- Craig’s Pianos samples that had some brightness had a bit of that “graininess” (for lack of better term) and seemed less refined than I had hoped. I have pretty good computer speaker system. Pianos are always tough IMO both for the amp and board to hit good.

- From Utube I think those on-board speakers are improved over WK3k; which were not bad even for piano (heck with the snobs; onboard speakers are handy at home)

- Can the distortion be tweaked to be more refined than my WK3k – BTW I loved how intuitive Casio is on the WK operation. Much simpler than my Roland and Kurz IMO. This one looks similar.

- How do those effects work with guitar? Just plug in with some care on volume knobs? That is cool feature as I also play guitar and would save lugging effects since I use keys amps.

- MIDI in/out is good (not on WK 7500 – I think us gigers still need that if we have 2 or 3 boards)

- Do generic walwarts work (my WK3k proprietary – generic good for flexibility when out)

- Want to confirm that rotary speed cannot be controlled by a foot pedal (from manual did not look like that parameter was included). You can control it with one end button switch on WK-3000 but only in certain modes and layers complicate that. The XW-P1 looks like the dedicated rotary buttons are nice addition to not mess with other DSP button in middle of tune.

I like the fact that Casio makes a reasonable board and DSP are very intuitive and easy to use IMO. If this one steps up in the sound (piano in particular) department over my WK3k I could see it being used for some left hand and hard work at gigs (rather than pounding my weighted Kurz keys all night) for me because my left wrist was smashed few years ago. And if the drawbars are graduated enough I could program that for my needs (Hammond type drawbars are still great)

Enjoy the Playing!

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by marku70
                          View Post

So MAIN QUESTION - do the drawbars only work in 1/3 increments (as the older WK)?

Welcome to the forum!

The drawbars have 8 gradations, 9 if you include off. You can easily select any one of these levels in the editor.

Craig’s Pianos samples that had some brightness had a bit of that “graininess” (for lack of better term) and seemed less refined than I had hoped. I have pretty good computer speaker system. Pianos are always tough IMO both for the amp and board to hit good.

Well, they were MP3 files. I suggest going to your local Guitar Center, bringing some headphones with you, plugging in, and checking them out for yourself. There is quite a variety of pianos so you only heard a fraction of what's actually available.

From Utube I think those on-board speakers are improved over WK3k; which were not bad even for piano (heck with the snobs; onboard speakers are handy at home)

The XW-P1 does not have onboard speakers.

Can the distortion be tweaked to be more refined than my WK3k

I'm not knocked out by the distortion. It's useable with specific settings, but not particularly forgiving.

BTW I loved how intuitive Casio is on the WK operation. Much simpler than my Roland and Kurz IMO. This one looks similar.

Unless you're new to synths, everything is pretty obvious.

How do those effects work with guitar? Just plug in with some care on volume knobs? That is cool feature as I also play guitar and would save lugging effects since I use keys amps.

IMHO the effects do not substitute for a good multieffects. Instead, they let you get some pretty off-the-wall sounds you could never get with a good multieffects

MIDI in/out is good

What's better is that it has 5-pin DIN MIDI as well as USB over MIDI.

Do generic wall warts work (my WK3k proprietary – generic good for flexibility when out)

It's 9.5V, 1A, with positive tip. I'm always very reluctant to recommend any adapter other than the one that ships with a unit because you don't know what kind of regulation the supply gives, and whether the keyboard depends on voltage "sag" when it draws current...or whether the supply has some degree of regulation. I'll let Mike handle this one, but my usual answer is "contact the company and buy a spare."

Want to confirm that rotary speed cannot be controlled by a foot pedal (from manual did not look like that parameter was included).

I don't think so, but maybe Mike can comment.

Comment

• Appreaciate the feedback. Just watching Mike's SW demo I found after I sent message and is hard to tell on the physical drawbars as they seemed to ramp up in increments/notches soundwise when he was layering. Obviously be great if they did not- and even if 9 sound graduations only in editor, suppose one could set up some favs using the editor and save to user bank.

Sorry on mentioning the speakers, I still had original WK-7500 demo in my head.

If organ drawbars can be set to "1" settings I'll need to go listen and see how the keyboard feels. It's a long drive to GC but this helps. If this feels/sounds adequate for gigs nice thing is that I could get into more of the synth stuff later after I retire - that recording feature sounds easy as pie to use.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by marku70
                              View Post

Appreaciate the feedback. Just watching Mike's SW demo I found after I sent message and is hard to tell on the physical drawbars as they seemed to ramp up in increments/notches soundwise when he was layering. Obviously be great if they did not- and even if 9 sound graduations only in editor, suppose one could set up some favs using the editor and save to user bank.

You can always save to the user bank. As to audible gradations, I tried counting the gradations as I moved the fader and while the lower-volume ones were easy to detect, once I got past the third or fourth one it was hard to tell when a transition occurred. By booting up the editor, I could see there were in fact 8 levels and off.

I must say that after wondering who'd want to use the drawbar organ in what is clearly a synth with a capital S, I've been playing around with it and I like the way it sounds

Comment

• Craig,

I follow you on all counts. I see a more $$ B-3 clone in my future as best for gigging organ. However, always thought it cool my inexpensive WK3k had “drawbars” and used them as serviceable for some classic rock and able to tweak usable overdrive Deep Purple (layering and DSP ext).

I reviewed both manuals now and it appears the WK-7500 had only the 3 gradation BUT as you note the XW-P1 has at least 8 like Hammond DB numbering. COOL addition plus all the Synth features I might be able to use. Recently heard guy with OLD weird looking portable drawbar keyboard through an old Leslie 122 and hard to tell from B-3 for blues - so who knows if I work both ends of that equation?

I’ll have to see where I can get to XW-P1 to try out! Looking at the drawbar organ tone Appendix for XW-P1; it is almost identical to old WK3k (Zpi). I would be curious if they updated drawabar samples/sounds (to hear info from Mike on that if he pokes in). If I can test I’ll obviously try to discern upgrade there but GC can be a zoo. I’ll be listening hard to pianos, brass sax and EP also – I use all of those.

For me that’s the difference between getting the B-3 clone maybe later and this XW-P1 right now. The XW-P1 is a Swiss army knife IMO with all the other features and sounds I also use. If the drums are improved I can jam with my son better..It just might add a lot more to the pallet if it competes with my Roland for all the other instruments!

Comment

Working...
                                X