Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buckeyedog
    which would you think would be a better "first build".....the Jr. or the Ardmore??

Thanks

They're actually pretty similar. The Ardmore's circuit board is a bit easier to build IMO, but not by much. As far as the tube wiring, the Gilmore Jr is the easier of the two - you only have two tubes to wire up, vs the three tubes in the Ardmore.

Personally, I'd base my decision more on your volume needs / tolerance (the Ardmore is louder) and your tonal preferences - the build difficulty is really not all that different between the two models. But if absolute ease of build is your first consideration, the Gilmore Jr is probably just the slightest bit easier to assemble overall.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Personally, I'd base my decision more on your volume needs / tolerance (the Ardmore is louder) and your tonal preferences -

I might be getting a bit ahead of things, but I have to ask:

What exactly is the tonal difference between the two amps? Does one get dirtier/crunchier/smoother than the other? Or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by dsquared

I might be getting a bit ahead of things, but I have to ask:

What exactly is the tonal difference between the two amps? Does one get dirtier/crunchier/smoother than the other? Or something else?

I'd kind of like to save that for the group testing / listening sessions, and for the downloadable clips... ...but if you'd like to hear some examples, they've got clips of both over on the Guytronix site - Here's a link.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Did you think I'd miss that little dig, Phil?

Talk about dumbass, though...I almost dropped my Gilmore, broke the ECC99 tube in the process. Good ol' Rich sent me another one right away
          I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic
            Did you think I'd miss that little dig, Phil?

All in good fun shipmate.

Talk about dumbass, though...I almost dropped my Gilmore, broke the ECC99 tube in the process. Good ol' Rich sent me another one right away

And you're not even reviewing the products? I'd say that's a good independent confirmation of Guytronix's excellent customer service, and it's certainly in line with my personal experiences when dealing with Rich.

- George Carlin

Comment

I'm unsubscribing to this thread... the gas is killing me, and I'm not switching jobs (and therefore able to afford this) until around march... heh, maybe I'll just check in on this thread then, and maybe by then he'll have a tube installed

just kidding Phil, thanks so much... once finances are permitting, I think I'm gonna have a long hobby ahead of me, you should do this type of thread with the 7th circle (I think that's the brand) kits too.. .
              Wants:
              16 ohm V30's and/or 8 ohm G12T-75's
              Has:
              Diezel Herbert
              RedBear mk120
              '67 SF Bandmaster
              Traynor YBA-1 (lower wattage version)
              Rivera Suprema 55 (on its way)
              Mesa oversized 4x12
              Early Mesa Mark series 4x12
              G-Flex 2x12
              Epi Elitist '61 Reissue w/nailbomb in bridge
              Ibanez S prestige
              Am Std. Strat w/Maple board w/ BK Mule in the Bridge soon...
              Greco ES-355 clone
              Boss RC20XL
              DOD YJM (modded by a forumite to 250+ specs)
              Ibanez DL5
              Z.Vex Ooh Wah 2 (for Sale)

Comment

Why has this thread been forsaken?

Comment

I agree Dano! I've been wanting to build me one, but this thread has stagnated
                  61 reissue SG
                  H&K Attax40
                  and a Banjo

Comment

I was wondering the same....

Comment

The masses are revolting, Phil...

*waits for expected response*

Comment

The masses are revolting, Phil...

*waits for expected response*

*circles the wagons*

Comment

...very revolting, for the most part!

Can't wait for Phil to drop another couple o' nuggets here for us to read. I'm wondering just good the clean tone of this thing is at studio/bedroom/neighbor-happy volumes. I suppose a lot of that would depend on the speaker and cabinet used, too, but those are easy things to remedy, right?

Love the pictures, btw!

Comment

Glad you like the pictures.

Actually, Phil has been dealing with some major PT issues, as well as a few other problems, and now that that's pretty much out of the way, we can continue.

We're pretty much done with most of the build related stuff, but I do want to do one or two more posts to wrap that up. However, the next step after that is to get about a half a dozen to a dozen people together for some taste tests / tryouts / clip recording sessions. So if you're interested in doing that - probably sometime in early / mid March, please drop me a PM and let me know.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe
                              Glad you like the pictures.

Actually, Phil has been dealing with some major PT issues, as well as a few other problems, and now that that's pretty much out of the way, we can continue.

We're pretty much done with most of the build related stuff, but I do want to do one or two more posts to wrap that up. However, the next step after that is to get about a half a dozen to a dozen people together for some taste tests / tryouts / clip recording sessions. So if you're interested in doing that - probably sometime in early / mid March, please drop me a PM and let me know.
                              It's been a week---

Don't make me report you!

Comment

Get crackin' you!
                                61 reissue SG
                                H&K Attax40
                                and a Banjo

Comment

Working...
                                X