No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Guy
    Hello Dano,

No, you were not one of those bad sailors! You question was very valid and helped make the current documentation better. You did a great job building the Kit. Thanks again for being my Customer.
    ...just gimme a break on the price of an Ardmore when I order it...
    I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Dano, roger. I love repeat Customers
      Best regards,
      Rich
      www.guytronix.com

Comment

More to come - sorry for the delay... NAMM and the studio schedule are kicking my butt.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Here is a pic of the Gilmore Jr. atop my big amp cabinet:

I have this amp on loan from Rich so I didn't have to build it

The sound is very smooth and rich. It is much louder than a 1/2w solid-state amp that I own, which is based on the LM386 chip.

Lots of great tube tone in this little amp... AND... it loves pedals. A boost or overdrive only add to the enjoyment of this gem!

I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely, Phil.

best regards, Jack
          Guitar Effects Explained
          Guitar Effects Blog
          Twiitter

Comment

which would you think would be a better "first build".....the Jr. or the Ardmore??

Thanks

Comment

Hello Buckeye,

Thanks for your inquiry. Phil should chime in here too as he built both Kits. My experience is that the Gilmore Jr is a bit easier to build than the Ardmore, but not significantly easier. They are both very close regarding difficulty. Currently, the Gilmore Jr has more optional tone/gain mods that are field proven. This provides for interesting experiments after the unit is built 'stock'. If it were me building for the first time, I would build the Gilmore Jr. The most important thing to remember is Electronics Safety when building/testing. The next important item is having adaquate soldering skills. I recommend that for first time builders, that they get some trashed equipment from the curb and unsolder/solder components for pratice. 60/40 or 63/37 solder, no flux and a ~ 35 to 45 Watt soldering pencil is fine.
              Best regards,
              Rich
              www.guytronix.com

Comment

Hey...Rich Guy turned me on to a cool thing.

I got the 2 watt mod. It needs a tube socket adapter and a new tube.

There's an unused socket hole on the Gilmore Jr. chassis.

Rich sent me a ceramic socket to bolt into the open hole, to store the unused tube.

Very
                I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Hey there,
                  just wondering if the power light that comes with the kit could be replaced with a fender jewel style light? thanks
                  MY MUSIC! Cosmonaut Cabrera

Current gear: FV Stevens electric (Manilas finest!), Fender Mustang 1, Line6 pocket pod and an Ibanez nylon string acoustic/electric

2/23/2010 - Never Forget

Comment

is the armore loud enough to use in live situations with a rock band?

Comment

Hello Gluefoot,

Yes, a 6.3 VAC Fender-ish (heater supplier voltage) jewl light is easily installed into the Gilmore or Ardmore Kits.
                      Best regards,
                      Rich
                      www.guytronix.com

Comment

Hello TiTo,

The Ardmore is pretty loud at ~ 8 Watts but may fall short of using it live for heavy rock. The tone is there, but the volume may not be unless you mic the speaker and run it through the PA. Heavy ' ham-fisted' drummers are very tought to compete with
                        Best regards,
                        Rich
                        www.guytronix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic
                          Hey...Rich Guy turned me on to a cool thing.

I got the 2 watt mod. It needs a tube socket adapter and a new tube.

There's an unused socket hole on the Gilmore Jr. chassis.

Rich sent me a ceramic socket to bolt into the open hole, to store the unused tube.

Very

That IS a cool idea! Actually, that might be something you might want to consider adding into the 2 watt mod kit Richard. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Lots of great tube tone in this little amp... AND... it loves pedals. A boost or overdrive only add to the enjoyment of this gem!

Stick a HBE Germania in front of it sometime if you get the chance...

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Guy
                              Phil's recommendations are valid regarding the extra primary transformer wires. The extra wires are for;

100 VAC
                              120 VAC
                              220 VAC
                              240 VAC

These different value windings/wires are to support any Country's AC voltage as we ship and support our kits World-wide.

Yes, select the wire that matches your Country AC voiltage and cut the rest back an inch or so, wrapping each of them in shrink-wrap or electrical tape. The color of each wire and it's AC volt application is defined in the manual ;^)

Yes it is. And the fact that the transformer is capable of working with the various line voltages of different countries is a excellent feature IMO, and I'm sure it makes things easier for Guytronix too - no worries about accidentally including the "wrong" transformer when shipping overseas.

Guytronix will put a line in the manual that describes what to do with the unused primary VAC wires. Thanks, Phil, for making the documentation bullet-proof

Well, to be fair, the documentation is already quite good. But I do feel that adding information about the extra transformer leads is a good idea that will avoid potential sail.. er, builder confusion, and I'm happy to hear that you'll be including that in the next manual revision.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by titovanburen
                                is the armore loud enough to use in live situations with a rock band?

It would really depend on what you're looking for, the efficiency of the speaker(s) you'd be using, the style of music and how hard everyone else plays. I really don't think it would be appropriate for your needs if you need loud clean tones, but it might work with an AB switch as a lead amp, in conjunction with a higher powered amp for clean tones.

I'll be doing some measurements of SPL levels of both amps at various volume levels.

Also, if anyone's interested in being part of the "testing crew", please drop me an email with your contact info so we can try to get something scheduled.

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                                X