Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subscribed, can't wait for the rest of the updates! Great article so far!

Edit....man I should really finish my first pot of coffee in the morning, before I try and type.....
    Dan

Smooth transactions with fellow forum members gregovertone,sh333,Vangkm(2x) more to come I am sure

Originally Posted by glenecho

oh now you're too cool to stick your dick in mud?

**************** that, I've stuck my dick everywhere...that's what it's for. Mud, rare steaks, sandwich bread, random holes in walls, the ends of vacuum cleaners, tailpipes, hell...several head of livestock.

Member of the "Here's a picture of MY ex's ASS" Thread Appreciation Guild

Comment

Any clips on the Ardmore? I've heard the Gilmore and it was OK, not really my thing, but still cool.

We'll be getting to that - please stay tuned.

And as I mentioned before, we'll see if we can't get some of you to come by the studio and supply the hot licks while I take care of the recording part.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Cowinacape
        Subscribed, can't wait for the nest updates! Great article so far!

Thanks Dan.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

Hello Kannibul,

There are four sound clips on my web site of the Ardmore Amp. Here is a link to the area;

http://www.guytronix.com/pages/5/index.htm

Thanks for asking.
          Best regards,
          Rich
          www.guytronix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Guy
            Hello Kannibul,

There are four sound clips on my web site of the Ardmore Amp. Here is a link to the area;

http://www.guytronix.com/pages/5/index.htm

Thanks for asking.

Hey Richard

I checked those out last night after my post - pretty good!

Comment

Looks interesting, in a Christmas-afternoon-build kind of way. A nice simple kit to get someone started. Look forward to hearing it too.
              http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

http://photoxon.blogspot.co.uk/ My photography blog

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Guys,

Thanks for the kind regards.
                Best regards,
                Rich
                www.guytronix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner
                  Looks interesting, in a Christmas-afternoon-build kind of way. A nice simple kit to get someone started. Look forward to hearing it too.

Yup, if you're an experienced builder, you could probably knock one out in an afternoon. IMO, they're definitely a kit that would be suitable as a "first amp project" type build. As far as tone and features of the amps, we'll be getting to that. Stay tuned.

- George Carlin

Comment

Since I've gotten a few PM's asking about the Cold Heat soldering tool, I'll make a couple of quick comments before we move on.

The Cold Heat tool uses a carbon based "split" tip. It's actually somewhat fragile and can be easily broken if you apply too much pressure or force to it, although I have not managed to break a tip yet. The Cold Heat soldering iron comes in two versions - a standard model and a "pro" model. I bought one of each to test. A "standard" model from my local Radio Shack, which I purchased while waiting for the "backordered" pro unit that I purchased online to arrive. The pro model is definitely the one to get, since it has more power and a high and low power setting. The optional magnifying glass attachment is pretty much worthless - I thought it would be nice to have - especially since my eyesight at very close distances and for fine detail has really deteroriated over the past couple of years (middle age sux in some respects), but attaching it - and keeping it attached to the iron is tricky, and getting it angled right so that it's not in the way of what you're working on, doesn't block the iron's built in light, and still allows you a magnified view of what you're working on is an excersize in frustration.

The tip of the Cold Heat iron doesn't get hot until the two halves of the split tip make contact to the same piece of metal, thus completing an electrical circuit and causing the tip (and hopefully the work) to heat up. A red LED lights up when the tip is making proper contact. The biggest problem I had was getting both halves of the tip to touch the same thing at the same time. Even when I could see (using an external magnifying glass attached to a boom) that it was making proper contact, the LED didn't always light up and the work didn't heat up. Once it does, the iron - even the "pro" model - really lacks the power to properly heat the work unless you hold VERY still (keeping that connection "just so") for a while while the work heats properly, and in my experience, it takes considerably longer than doing the job with a good traditional soldering iron.

After trying this tool for a while, on a couple of different types of things (not just these amp kits), I would tire of the fiddling and just break out the Weller. It does work as advertised in the sense that it does cool down very quickly - unless you still happen to have a small blob of solder stuck between the two halves of the tip, in which case it might remain hot... so in that respect, it does what it says it does. But it really lacks the speed and power of a good traditional iron, and I personally can't recommend it for much beyond a quick cable or switch repair. Having it around for that can be useful though.

- George Carlin

Comment

To add to Phils above soldering iron message; please do not use soldering 'guns' for any electronic soldering that especially has solid state (transistors, FETs, MOSFETs, diodes, integrated circuit chips, etc) components as the soldering 'gun' types inject current into the work while operating and can damage the circuit. I like using a Weller soldering station with an adjustable heat range to 850 F. For a stand-alone soldering iron, I recomment a wattage of no less than 30 watts. I tend to like 35 watters and above.
                      Best regards,
                      Rich
                      www.guytronix.com

Comment

My next post will reference this picture, but in the interests of easier to read text formatting, I'm posting this seperately.

- George Carlin

Comment

Why not just buy a Pod

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Glover
                            Why not just buy a Pod

There's no kit for a Pod.

Comment

Why drink wine when you could just drink tap water?

Comment

I hand soldered some of the early pods and I can tell you it was no walk in the park! Surface mount is a major bitch compared to point-to-point tube amps.
                                www.guitarparamedic.com

Comment

Working...
                                X