Broken Casiotone MT-46!

lavapocalypse

• Members

Just received a Casiotone MT-46 from a friend who warned me it might not even turn on, but I'm determined to fix it! It turns on and when plugged into my speaker system, makes a low humming noise on certain settings. Humming changes pitch and volume slightly when any keys between C and F are pressed (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, all octaves). The built in speaker makes no noise whatsoever. I opened it up to see if anything looked obviously wrong, and aside from a little rust on a single wire, everything's attached and pretty clean. Any way to fix it, or is this thing a goner?

• Moderators

You do realize that you have already expended more time and energy on the unit than its monetary value would equate to? [if it is even worth anything, its a1980s dinosaur]

If you are a skilled solderer, and can read a schematic, and have a source for possibly obsolete components...and have nothing else of value to do, like posting here, then have at it...but if you do not pass on all those points, I'd toss it in the recycling bin and move on. But that's just me...I'm jus' sayin'...

• Members

You can buy a used for around $60. A technician will charge $150 for the first hour and at least $25 each additional quarter hour.

Honestly, these low end keyboards were never designed to be repaired. The most you might be able to do is repair jacks and switches. beyond that, when you have blown circuitry, these kinds of plastic keyboards are trashed. There isn't even anything in them worth salvaging either.

Your symptom suggests the unit has a blown power supply an/or audio amp. This is usually the result of using the wrong power supply, overloaded inputs outputs, poor quality factory workmanship, or the unit could have been dropped or flexed which can cause a PCB to crack. Your indication of rust can also be a cause if it the rust dust got between two electrical connections and shorted something out.

If the power supply is blown it could take out the processor and if that happens there is no way you're going to find another no less replace and reprogram it.

The only hope you might have is to be sure you are using the right power supply. The DC supply on Casio is reverse polarity when compared to most standard adaptors. If you have hum and noise may be caused by the wrong adaptor with the wrong polarity and/or wrong current rating.

If you're using some generic adaptor, you may have a hard time finding the correct type. I have a high end Casio in my collection and I had to solder a new connector on with the polarity reversed to get it to work.

If the keyboard uses batteries, you could try that first. If it works with the batteries then your problem is finding the right adaptor. If it doesn't work with batteries, I wouldn't suggest you waste much time on it. The way those low end keyboards are built makes them piss poor candidates for repair.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Yesterday' date=' I bought two Yamaha keyboards for $10 each, power supplies included.[/quote']

I resist these deals since I'''''m about out of room for anymore without

voice of reason

nothing musical last time I went to City Mission

• Members

I have a couple or Yamahas, one is a higher end unit and is very good. The other is lower end but has some decent sounds.

I have at least 3 of the Cassio. Two low end and one high end. The high end has the pitch bending which can be useful. The low end aren't much use for recording and I plan on giving them away as gifts.

What can be neat is when I take the Casio and Yamaha and link them in midi. Both have built in accompaniment and you can get some really cool drum beats happening with two drum machines going. not as good as an actual drummer but it can be useful for writing and recording music.. I've even done some having two keyboards and a drum machine connected midi and had three different drum beats going. Then when editing the music, I'd mute different ones to get the beat to change during the song. Saves having to program drum beats or create loops which kills my motivation.

Archived