Help with a Hammond H-100

Voqoo

• Members

Hi! My grandpa owns a Hammond H-100. When he powers it on, the red button inside gets pushed out. He called it a security button or something. Its on the side of the main box in the middle (i think its the electromagnetic thing). He says he doesn’t know how to fix this. Please send suggestions here. We tried turning it on and off, but that didn’t work. I am a total newbie at instruments.

Thanks.

• Members

Hard to say without pics but it sounds like you're talking about a circuit breaker. Does the "red button" look something like this:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Breaker.jpg","data-attachmentid":32506699}[/ATTACH]

If so, that's a circuit breaker. If it's tripping the breaker, it means there's something wrong like a short or something is drawing way too much current. I don't have the electronics background to diagnose it but it's probably not good. Take it to a qualified shop. Failing that, buy a used one in working condition.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Two months' date=' probably pointless to reply, BUT...have you tried OILING the tonewheel motor? [/quote']

I agree it's probably pointless to reply but presumably you're thinking a dragging or seized motor might be drawing enough excess current to pop the breaker?

• Members

^^^ Yes, exactly. I have no direct experience with this, but I've read this is a common issue with old tonewheel Hammonds. I searched for "oiling Hammond organ" on YouTube and there's multiple "explainer" and how-to videos.

[video=youtube;EB_jxA1de78]

Every so often, I see old Hammond Spinet (home type) organs for sale on my local craigslist, if I owned a pickup truck I'd probably have three of them.

Archived