No announcement yet.

Help with a Hammond H-100

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a Hammond H-100

Hi! My grandpa owns a Hammond H-100. When he powers it on, the red button inside gets pushed out. He called it a security button or something. Its on the side of the main box in the middle (i think its the electromagnetic thing). He says he doesn’t know how to fix this. Please send suggestions here. We tried turning it on and off, but that didn’t work. I am a total newbie at instruments.

Thanks.

Hard to say without pics but it sounds like you're talking about a circuit breaker. Does the "red button" look something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Breaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	32506699

If so, that's a circuit breaker. If it's tripping the breaker, it means there's something wrong like a short or something is drawing way too much current. I don't have the electronics background to diagnose it but it's probably not good. Take it to a qualified shop. Failing that, buy a used one in working condition.
    Last edited by DeepEnd; 04-16-2019, 03:20 PM.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Two months, probably pointless to reply, BUT...have you tried OILING the tonewheel motor?
      This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
        Two months, probably pointless to reply, BUT...have you tried OILING the tonewheel motor?
        I agree it's probably pointless to reply but presumably you're thinking a dragging or seized motor might be drawing enough excess current to pop the breaker?
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

^^^ Yes, exactly. I have no direct experience with this, but I've read this is a common issue with old tonewheel Hammonds. I searched for "oiling Hammond organ" on YouTube and there's multiple "explainer" and how-to videos.

Every so often, I see old Hammond Spinet (home type) organs for sale on my local craigslist, if I owned a pickup truck I'd probably have three of them.
          Last edited by Mr.Grumpy; 06-20-2019, 07:06 AM.
          This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

It's not unusual to see them offered for free.
            "The Web puts all of the world's knowledge at our fingertips; unfortunately it's mixed with all of the world's bull****************."
            -- Bob Parks

"A thing is not necessarily true because a man dies for it."
            -- Oscar Wilde

"No man dies for what he knows to be true. Men die for what they want to be true, for what some terror in their hearts tells them is not true."
            -- Oscar Wilde

"It is a trap of history to believe that eyewitnesses remember accurately what they have lived through."
            -- Theodore White

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
              What - you have to OIL them?

Yes, lack of maintenance / oiling can definitely cause the problem the OP is describing.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
              - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
              - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Working...
              X