line out

Electric Al

• Moderators

I can't tell you. If you're running from a line out into an instrument level input, there's a mismatch there, but you should still get a signal through.

Here's what I'd do. I'd take the line out from the Peavey and run it into a line level input to see if I got a good output. I assume that you know for sure that the input you're using on the bass amp works properly, right? And never assume that the cord you're using is good, unless you've tested it. A loud hum sounds like an incomplete ground somewhere.

• Members

What model Peavey and what model bass amp? Anything I'd suggest would be purely a guess without being able to see what kind model amps you're working with.

A line out is definitely too loud for feeding an instrument input. You need to use an attenuator to drop the signal around 10dB. You can buy an RCA style attenuator on line for less than $20 but you'd also need some 1/4" adaptors.

If the bass amp has an effects loop you might be able to use the return to feed a line level input. I'd need to check the specs and schematic on the amp however. Some allow line level returns and some only accept instrument level. I wouldn't want you to blow up the bass amp by doing something stupid.

I do know Peavey has make many different PA heads over the years. We had one of their Big knob powered mixers back in the 70's. What a piece of crap that thing was. It had a bunch of oddball connectors built in and not all of them clearly marked. Amp manufacturers hadn't adopted any fixed standards so you couldn't assume they worked the same as modern gear simply because of how they were labeled.

Archived