A product that's not so hot...

Phil O'Keefe

...but that's actually not a bad thing at all!

If you solder, you should definitely check out my review of the Austin Ribbon Microphones Hot Holder...

https://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/austin-microphones-hot-holder

If you have any questions or comments about the Hot Holder or the review, please feel free to post them here. :wave:

Nice idea' date=' but I don't think it will replace my existing clamp rig: [similar to this'] https://www.harborfreight.com/helpin...caAmt8EALw_wcB

I have one of those too - actually, mine is more like this one, although I've pulled the magnifying glass off of mine and put it on a separate stand hoping to improve the main stand's stability...

When it comes to cables and small PCB's, I definitely prefer the Hot Holder - YMMV, but I think it's more stable.

• Moderators

I clamp mine into a table clamp, plenty stable. I used to have one with the magnifier, too, but it was more trouble than not...I went to a jewelers clip-on loupe, but now I just use 3x glasses...they git'erdun...

I'm not knocking this new item, I'm sure it works...but at $39 'street', it should make me a sandwich, get me a beer and massage my feet while I'm soldering ;)

I clamp mine into a table clamp' date=' plenty stable. I used to have one with the magnifier, too, but it was more trouble than not...I went to a jewelers clip-on loupe, but now I just use 3x glasses...they git'erdun...[/quote']

I've been thinking about getting a spare set of reading glasses and adding one of those double magnifying lens attachments to them and trying that. The downside is that they don't have a light like the magnifying glass unit does.

I'm not knocking this new item, I'm sure it works...but at $39 'street', it should make me a sandwich, get me a beer and massage my feet while I'm soldering ;)

If you ever come across something that will do all that for $39, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know about it! :lol::D

• 7 months later...

Archived