No announcement yet.

Fun little project on the bench

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun little project on the bench

My brother found a stripped Yamaha Tele-style body and neck at an estate sale for a few bucks, bought them and gave them to me.

The neck is maple with a rosewood board. Semi Strat style headstock. No nut or tuners. Frets aren't much worn---could use a good polish---and it's straight with no twist. There's a small chip on the fretboard between the nut and 1st fret on the treble side. Decent finish.

The body (alder, looks like) has a fair amount of dings and scratches. It's cut for two humbuckers, rear-mounted switch and pots (I'll have to fab a cover plate), and a hardtail string-through bridge.

I think I have everything I need to make this work. I do repair, set-up and mod work, so I have lots of take-offs and spares. Tuners, nut material, neck plate and bolts, pickups, bezels, pots, caps, knobs, switch, jack, bridge, ferrules---should be all set.

So far all I've done is apply some Elmer's wood filler to the worst of the body blemishes. Planning to give it a rattle can finish. Not going to invest too much or go too crazy on that, but I'll make it look decent.

I'll try to get some pics up soon.
    I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Best of luck on the new project guitar. Pics soon please.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
      Best of luck on the new project guitar. Pics soon please.
      Dab naggit, I've got to figger out how to resize my pics so I can post them here.

60 years old and nearly computer-illiterate. Sheesh

Comment

• Freeman Keller
        Freeman Keller commented
        Editing a comment
        The simple way I resize pictures is to open them with plain old Paint (not 3D), click the resize button, select one of the direction buttons, enter a new value (I've found that most of the images out of my camera are about 3.5M, if I enter 25 in the horizontal direction they come out about 500K which is perfect). Save and it replaces the old one, upload it and it works perfectly.

I have come to hate Photobucket so much that while its a big hassle to resize photos in the long run its much better.

Looking forward to seeing your project.

• Danocoustic
        Danocoustic commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Freeman. I'll try that.

Stupid edit function not working.

Wanted to add---I've mounted some inexpensive tuners, a string tree and a plastic nut after I sprayed the headstock with clear lacquer. Partway through the fret polish, then I'll oil the very dry fretboard.

Comment

I use an old version of IrfanView, which is free. Go to oldversion.com or oldapps.com and download it.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

I give up. Trying to resize pics is a bigger hemorrhoid than I'm willing to deal with.

Sorry.

Comment

Working...
          X