Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Latest DIY -- Baritone Tele

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, having those additional bass strings can be disorienting. Especially with a guitar like a classical 10-string, where all 10 strings are fretted. Initially your hand wants to center itself on the fretboard -- when trying to play an open chord, like an E major for example. I can recall it taking me a couple of weeks of playing my first 10-string before I felt comfortable with it.

Here's a pic of one of the 10-strings I built:
    JME in case by Michael McBroom, on Flickr
    Best,
    Michael

Comment

Cool, I don't know if you are still watching this but I was wondering what you finally settled on for strings and how they work. Did you have any problems adjusting the action and intonation? How does the long neck feel? What did you end up with for pickups and are you happy with them for this tuning?

Comment

Hey Freeman, it's been a while since I've checked in here, but here goes with a late reply.

I really like the feel of this Warmoth neck. It has a slim profile, which I prefer. I didn't have any problems adjusting the action, but the neck did require adjustment. Four different times I had to tighten the trussrod because of the neck bending from all the tension. It seems to be holding, finally, after the fourth adjustment. And now that it is stable, the action is set where I like it. I've gotten the intonation very close, using an electronic tuner.

The Tele body is most likely a Squier, but I've been quite happy with the pickups. It has that characteristic Tele sound, and it holds up quite well when amplified, whether clean or overdriven.

Just recently, I strung the guitar up with D'Addario's EXL158 Baritone Light Gauge strings. These strings are way better than the Ernie Ball Not Even Slinkys that I installed before. I love the sound of this guitar, even with its stock Squier pickups.
      Best,
      Michael

Comment

Working...
      X