T.C.Helicon Switch 6

• Members

Looking for the schematic for this unit .

I want to build a hand held switch assembly to mount on a mic .

If you have seen a Sennheiser MP-76 you will get the idea of why I want one .

The MP-76 changes presets and FX on the T.C.Helicon VL3 - VL3X - VL2 and others.

Thanks

HR

• Members

You aren't going to find schematics on something that new and if you do you have to trust the guy who drew them. The units cost $75. By the time you add up the cost of 6 foot switches which are like $7 each for the super cheap ones, the jack and the box you're looking at $50 plus the labor time involved. I'm not sure if they are latching or momentary switches. Seeing the switches work with a single TRS jack I suspect there are additional parts in there, possibly diodes or resistors that allow the switches to be detected from one another. A resistor bridge might do it or the jack may supply phantom power for other components. Any of these components can drive the cost up making the unit more expensive to build then it is to buy,

My advise is you're better off just buying the box and knowing you have a solid unit that will work properly.

• Members

Hello WRGKKMC :

Thanks for the input .

It's going to happen even if I can't find an actual schematic -

The switch cost isn't the issue - heck-a-fire I just blew $550.00 on the VL3X heh heh heh .

The MP-76 is cool - that mic got me thinking since I use a Shure 520D Green Bullet.

Can't see going through the VL3X's mic input since it's Low Z - I go into my tube guitar amp with the Green Bullet .

I'm doing the same on my VL3X's guitar input .

I want that too : the way the MP-76 changes presets - & triggers on/off FX as I blow harp .

Going from a hard edge power groove to a smooth nuance groove is where I am coming from

on the harp - like I do on my guitar . There's a lot to it as far as stage showmanship is concerned .

I've been performing since the mid 70's . I have learned this - there is always something to learn and use

in this world of entertainment as entertainers . Gear is part of the equation .

I just ordered a Source Audio Hot Hand for my expression pedal control - no biggie for a guitar - biggie

when you use it with a Harp cause ain't no one be doing that .

When I sing I don't play guitar most times , since soling began a few years back ( ten ) as I learned about looping

and seeing a performance of a solo act where the guitarist stops playing ( solo ) and just sings and go's into a

different FX change from the mic control is what I want in my harp FX control . It's new , no one's done or doing it .

The vocal FX on the VL3X are awesome things to control for singer , it's guitar FX are awesome too . When I

bust loose on guitar and then harp the FX control it's going to get cosmically crazy

- but -

Since it's new I am already aware of fact that all people don't share my point of view - that's cool too .

As far as the Switch 6 - next month I breakdown for that heh heh heh gas ---- I can take it apart and see how it's wired and

go from there with a multimeter and hack it ,maybe between now and then a schematic will pop up .

EZ :

HR

• Members

Thanks for the input WKGKMC :

I'm getting a Switch 6 anyway that won't break the bank heh heh heh .

I just want the nano switch for a Bullet mic .

I want the power that the P-76 has with FX & preset changes it does on the/my VL3X

I want to do it on my hand held Shure bullet mic that's all .

EZ :

HR

• Members

I had to read that a few time to figure out what you were wanting to do. If I read you right, you want switches on the mic that will do what the foot switch does?

It may be possible but you realize you'll need to either use two cables to the mic or use a 5 conductor cable. A 5 conductor may or may not work It depends on how much interference might be generated and weather you'd have added hum from the effects signal lines. The mics hot wire must be shielded and having the other signal wires under the shield may be a problem.

I'm not sure you'd have space for a heavier cable or additional switches. Bullet mics are very tight inside. There isn't a whole lot of extra space to work with. You'll have to make that determination. Personally, I'd just use the foot switch. It serves the same purpose even though you may be tethered to it to make changes.

You also mentioned the bullet mics 1/4" jack. You can easily get a high to low transformer for around $10 and plug the mic into the low Z XLR input. It may give different settings from the guitar. My lead singer has one but she only uses it for vocals. I also realize the bullet mics plugged into a guitar amp gains the signal up differently then a regular mic level input does. (I played with a pro harp player for 20 years) You again would need to make that decision. I'd just think there may be something there to work with you can get over using a guitar input and having the guitar impedance dragged down by having a mic plugged in at the same time.

I do play some harp myself, but I'm more into a classic clean tone and less driven blues stuff so I can use a regular PA for the stuff I do.

I found a mini condenser mic that's built into an XLR connector that does an amazing job playing harp. A company was selling them for a ridiculously low price so I bought 8 of them. Good thing two because they jacked the price up 10 times shortly after.

• Members

WRGKFC :

I'm thinking on the lines of this logic .

The MP-76 is on one cable of a multicore wire assembly with phantom power for the condenser .

The Switch 6 I don't know if it is or not . I would assume this . The Led needs power as well as the condenser

mic . The Switch 6 has no LED or need to power a mic . The switch has been described as a " ladder " type and I could be wrong

but I am interpreting this as a passive type device .

I am learning as I go , thanks for your input it is appreciated .

I use a wireless x-mitter a lot on the Bullet and I like being free from a cable if I could Bluetooth a switch ( IOS type lik ) to do this for my rig I'd jump on it .

• Members

WKGKFC :

There's something to the sound a hi Z Bullet does to a guitar amp input . I love it . You get a drop in hz from about 4.5 K out of the bullet , some how the impedance miss match on a guitar tube amp ( SS too ) gives frequencies in that drop area a boost - because of this I turn down the treble & mids to almost zero on both P.A. - Portable P.A.- Tube amps and my Polytone Mini Brute IV III P.A.

I cover almost just about everything - I started as a kid playing a harp age 4 learning Louie Armstrong's Blues & Jazz first then POP - CW and RNR - it's been 62 years of music playing here .

This is an unplugged video of just my harp playing with some people you might recognize . Acoustic into a SM58 . Got to do a lot of acoustic hand shaped sounds here :

[video=youtube;g1io2HaMBXM]

I'm doing a lot of soloing using a VL3X looper it will allows me to go acoustic everything and then electric .

If I can get this handheld Switch 6 done I have something to add to the equation I just received today , what I loose when going electrified harp

I get back with a whaw whaw pedal , I had that in my previous DAW Digitech GNX'sFX's and expression pedal and it was stolen . I replaced it withthe VL3X but it comes with out a expression pedal , only a input for one .

I was about to spend around $100.00 for a good one and found an alternative priced to compete : [video=youtube;rPLoHPHbAJs]

I like ripping Hard Driving Rockin type Blues too as well as Standards and Jazz . In 62 years of playing music you cover a lot of ground .

Every Post I have done stalls - I don;t know it is been posted till a day later ?

EZ man thanks for the input .

HR

• Members

A wireless switch would be difficult. When you get the foot switch, post some picks. I suspect is a resistor bridge (ladder as you call it) but I cant advise you otherwise till I see it. Probably need wireless activated relays, all on different frequencies. Highly doubt you could fit something like that in the mic itself. You may be able to do it with a small body pack with switches on it. Getting one switch to trigger might not be so bad, but when you have 4 or 5 you're dealing with something that's a bit more advanced.

I'd likely use existing technology and adapt it to my needs. Once you know what kind of switches are in that pedal I could make better suggestions but just brainstorming I came up with this. https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Wireless-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1495192713&sr=8-10&keywords=wireless+light+switch+remote

fetch?filedataid=124733

What you have here are 5 wireless switches and remote controls that activate them wirelessly. Now these switches may only be simply spst type switches and the plug receivers likely get their power to operate from the wall, but that should be something that can be worked around with some modification. They're ability to switch remotely and the fact that there's 5 of them is what's important. Even if they needed the 120V, you'd simply use a small AC/SC adaptor to activate a relay that does the switching.

The transmitter says its radio and will work up to 100' through walls and the pad looks fairly small enough to Velcro to a mic. The set is $30. If you need to run relays and dc power that will likely run it up over $100 or more, but its a hell of a lot cheaper then getting some engineer to design you a blue tooth setup. The R&D for a unique and specialized device wouldn't be unaffordable unless you're willing to pay big time. Engineers don't work cheap. You can easily pay a couple hundred dollars and hour just to have them design you a circuit that might work.

• Members

WKGKFC :

Thanks man !

I am learning , your input is very helpful .

How'd you like that Hot Hand for a pedal foot controller ?

It just arrived I'm going out to GC to to get a TRS for it after I post this .

The DAW I'm using recognized it's USB reciever but I have yet to figure out how to get it to work in that software .

The Editor that controls it from Source Audio works - I'm the weakest link of the chain , but I will get this sucker wired !

The X-Y-Z control of a signal is truly wild - three dimensions of a signal's audio to twist , turn and squash - that's amazing .

Those relays are a cool concept thanks , I had not gotten that far into the designing of the wireless foot switch yet .

With a Switch 6 , it's a momentary hit on/off so the on/off type controller might be over kill but it does show a path to pursue this design concept on . What this shows is there are parts on the shelve to be had to do this .

I began thinking about it after I saw the Hot Hand about a month ago . The ring and USB receiver I expected to be small , but the base unit , wow it's really small - fits the palm of my hand .

EZ :

HR

Archived