Strat S-1 mod

naz420

• Members

I wanted to add and S-1 switch to my american deluxe strat. From what i gather after researching the internet is that i would just need to purchase the s-1 pot and the 5 way super switch and follow the wiring diagrams. Am i missing anything?

• Members

The S-1 system puts the pickups in a series configuration. This may cause some problems if your pickups only have two wires coming from them.

I believe Fender updated the circuit and used a different S-1 pot so you need to be sure the diagram you use is the one for the pot you get.

• Members
The S-1 system puts the pickups in a series configuration. This may cause some problems if your pickups only have two wires coming from them.

There's no problem putting regular two single wire strat pickups in series. It's only when you have a two wire cable with a hot wire and shielded ground that's a problem. If the shield is made hot in a series configuration it induces hum in the wire it surrounds.

There can be more hum then normal with a series config but shielding the cavity with copper tape and grounding it usually helps there.

I'm not sure having singles in series yields much of a difference in tones. I've done it on many Strats and there's not much gained there besides a small difference gain. Not worth the mod in my opinion. The one mod I prefer is having are switches to reverse the polarity. you can really get some tone changes from that. it might not be everyone's cup of tea because reversing a pickup can thin the sound out allot but with the right pedals you can produce some amazing quack tones and pinch harmonics. I have my one strat set up like that with a set of TX Specials.

I also have an active tone control that will boost mids turned to one extreme or cut them in the other. Artec makes these mini circuits you can buy. http://artecsound.com/pickups/electronics/bcu.html Incredibly low noise, efficient and easy to install. You essentially need to remove one of the tone pots and replace the input jack. It wires in between the volume and output jack.

I use a piece of Velcro to hold the battery in place. I've gotten 2 years out of the 9 volt I have in there and it still works fine. I even left the guitar plugged in for two weeks and its still shows no signs of getting weak. The circuit gets like 5000 hours of battery life which is nice because Its a pain removing the pickup cover to change it.

Between that control and the three on/off/on mini toggle switches I install in place of the 5 way I get 16 different tones from the switches and the variable changes all of those setting as well. I can nail any strat tone I need to.

• 8 months later...

Archived