Thumb rest for Rickenbacker 4001

isaac42

• Moderators

At the studio yesterday, it occurred to me that one of the ebony piano keys pulled off of a derelict piano would make a nice thumb rest for my Mapleglo 4001. Sadly, they weren't quite long enough. But Bob, our bandleader, said it'd be a piece of cake to glue two of them together to make one longer one. So we made a couple of measurements and Bob went to work. I confess that this isn't quite a DIY project, because I'm not doing it myself. But Bob is!

• Moderators

So Bob called me this morning to tell me he was working on it and that I'd need longer screws to mount it than the screws that were holding the pick guard in place. I'd already thought of that, of course. The idea is to mount it on top of the pick guard, just like the item that inspired my thinking: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zero-Mod-Musical-Products/1394229677482016?sk=info&tab=page_info

At this point, the two pieces are glued and clamped. Here are some updates from Bob:

got it glued up and clamped..as to if it is what i want..tomorrow when the clamps come off we will find out

I asked for pics, and he sent me this:

fetch?id=31479051

• Moderators

I'd have used a wood dowel to hold the pieces together, but I'm not going to second guess the man doing the work for me.

The first dowel was a broken drill bit but didn't have enough give to keep it straight so I went with brass rod. Also they are different widths so getting the center of the square end was a bitch an I am going to have to sand the side of the fat one til the two halves are even. As soon as I got it glued up I thought of a better way

fetch?id=31479057

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The thumb rest was installed a week ago. It feels strange. Naturally, it's much taller than the pick guard was by itself. After playing a note on the E string, my fingers slap against it. I don't like that it's not parallel with the strings. But I'll play with it for a while, and decide whether or not I like it.

fetch?id=31488296

Archived