A couple of easy fixes.

isaac42

• Moderators

Too easy. I brought an M-Audio BX5a home from the studio. It had developed a buzz. Very loud. Just turn it on, and it's buzzing at full volume. Volume control changed the character of the buzz, but didn't change the level. I grabbed a power cord, then the speaker and headed for the kitchen. I noticed an odd sound. I thought at first that it was the power cord brushing against the outside of the box, but no. It was coming from inside the speaker. So, rather than power it up, I opened it up, and out came some kind of nut shells and what appeared to be rodent droppings. Too small for rats or even mice, so maybe vole droppings. I dunno. I cleaned out the speaker as best I could - sure, I could have completely dismantled it, but I'm not getting paid for this! - shook it out, brushed the crap off of the components, shook it out again. Some was stuck to the acoustic insulation, and didn't want to come out. Then I plugged it in and turned it on. No noise. I reassembled the speaker. Done.

Now, I had a pile of crap on a newspaper on the floor. I started to wrap it up to throw it away, then stopped. One of my vacuum cleaners needed to be cleaned out. It's one of those vortex units, no bag. I emptied the chamber, then, on a whim, opened up the filter. It was completely clogged! So I grabbed a bobby pin and used the rounded end to clean out the filter. It won't be like new, of course, but it'll be a lot better than it was. Now, the pile o'crap was bigger, but still easily contained within the newspaper. To top it off, today is trash day, and they haven't picked up yet.

Woohoo! Moral of the story? Keep stuff clean!

• Members

I have a set of BX5's in my studio. I was getting some crackle. I did open the one up to get a peek and it all looked OK. I thought I had swapped cables around but the noise stayed on the one side. I eventually make made my own cables and after that life was good.

Not sure how an animal could have gotten in that speaker, other then the port in the back which is my best guess. You can just take a piece of screen and glue it over the hole with some hot glue from the inside to keep them varmints out.

At least you can say you have an audience that likes your music. I'd likely sprat some Lysol in there though.

Archived