Help installing bass bridge.

seanplaysmusic

• Members

Hello!

I have a brand new Xaviere Bass guitar (Fender P-Bass style) I purchased an upgraded bridge I have previously installed the same bridge on one of my fender basses sucessfully so I felt confident doing it again.

The new bridge is 4 holes instead of the 5 hole fender style bridge originally on the bass. Like my other bass I lined up the bridge and installed. Unfortunatley when I intonated the new bridge I noticed the E and A are sharp and the saddle is moved all the way back as far as it can go.

Moving the bridge back about a half inch would fix this problem however I am scared that would be sketchy considering this would be a third set of holes near each other.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• Moderators

You could always fill the holes. One way to do that is to drill out the holes just enough to insert a dowel pin. I'd use a hardwood dowel, and glue it in place. If you do that, the body should be at least as solid as it was before. No sketchiness in sight.

• Members

filling it in with wood works, if you have the tools to do it properly. I suggest you just use epoxy putty to fill them. You can buy it in most hardware stores for a couple of dollars and it works like a champ. You simply break off a piece and mix it with your fingers like clay. Then roll it up so its thin enough to fit in the holes. Then pack it in there using a tooth pick or small screw driver till you get all the excess air out. It comes in a few colors, grey is the most common you'll find.

The good part about the epoxy is it conducts sound well. I use it for shimming necks mostly. I have used it to fill in pickup routes and it doesn't shrink like plastic wood does, plus you can sand it smooth and paint it if need be.

Archived