Looking for mod for Vox AC30 Amplug.

• Members

I just recently bought a Vox AC30 Amplug. As many will know it's designed for headphone practice, etc. As many will also know it sounds really great. I have been using it as pre amp when recording to Logic and ProTools, etc. Getting some nice results.

The thing is that it is designed as a mini headphone amp and as such has a 1/4 inch male plug that slots into your guitar input and a mini out that you would normally plug a pair of headphones into. So I am running a 1/4 to mini cord from the Vox gizmo to the digital interface

I like the sound I get well enough that I'm willing to spend a few bucks to put it in an enclosure so that it will take more wear and so I can properly plug a standard guitar cord into each end.

Does anyone have a proven workflow for doing this?

I''m ok with a soldering iron - though I won't win any awards.

Please only respond if you have done this or know a surefire way of doing it without screwing anything up.

Thanks

Here's a link to the device in question: http://www.amazon.com/Vox-amPlug-AC3...ords=voxamplug

• Members

Haven't heard of anyone doing that with one of these. I haven't seen the unit but it is small and likely built with micro chips with very small connections, and everything PC mounted. You take a chance damaging the unit just getting it apart so you can do surgery. the pots are likely pc mount and removing them to solder in a full sized pot to a box would require great skill. Same for the switch. The plugs are no issue, you could simply use extension jacks to mount them in the case and leave the PC mount jacks on the unit where they are. Same for the battery. Just add extension wires to another battery holder or an AC adaptor plug.

This unit is designed to drive headphones however. It hasn't got the proper impedance to feed a line level input to an interface properly and you take a chance driving the interface input with a headphone level signal that way. Background Noise level will be high ad you probably aren't running the gains at optimal levels. The output really should be attenuated to drive a line level input of an interface. Some resistors would help, but this unit really isn't designed to drive a line level signal into an interface.

Personally, instead of messing with this unit I'd save up to buy one of the Vox effects units that are already built and designed for recording. The units aren't that expensive and you add in the cost of rehousing this unit, you'd be better off all around. One of these are only $69 and by the time you add up the time, parts, metal housing, power adaptor you're going to be spending nearly this much anyway and you still have the impedance issue with this unit being wrong. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StompLab1G?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=COPLw8u9-b8CFSMV7AodsysANA

• Members

You can buy a purpose-made pedal that does the same thing for less than $35, a Joyo AC Tone pedal. You may have trouble buying it locally, but Amazon and other online retailers have them.

I'm sure it's possible to mod one of these and house it in a pedal, but it's not a good beginner project at all. The Amplugs are built with miniature surface mount devices, and don't lend themselves to do-it-yourself modifying. 90% chance you'll ruin the amplug.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Get the external speaker that goes with Amplugs. It has a full size jack guitar in , the amplug jack IN and a mini jack to the amplug. You can use the Amplug minijack out to your amp.

Thsi is from memory...its a while since I used that but it could be the basis for something permanent.

Archived