etching is such a pain in the ass

Ray18

• Members

I'd rather just buy prototype board

or at least go for the photo-reactive stuff... I HATE etching solution

I've got some sitting in a jar in my garage, I don't know what to do with it

• Members

Be bold and go right to production !!

That is what I did back in 1982. A local shop (Detroit area) was willing to make me fifty (50) 1" X 2" double sided PRINTED THROUGH circuit boards for only $50 dollars !!

It was part of the interface for my FASTFINGERS software package .(interface between the Mattel Intellivision Keyboard and the Commodore 64)

It was the first time that I did this. IT WORKED !

But you better make 100% sure that you get it right THE FIRST TIME before you commit to production.

I layed out the circuit board on 2 pieces of clear mylar at 4:1 scale. They reduced it and produced the boards for me.

Now I'm guessing the same thing would cost $200 TODAY, if you can find 20 other musicians to share the boards with , it may be a less messy option than trying it yourself. It also looks better. Sometimes the acid burns too much and other times not enough leaving unwanted bridges.

Dan

• Members

I've got to the point where I won't wire 3 parts together without burning a pcb for them.

In fact- I've discovered that my favorite part of DIY effect building is making and stuffing pcbs.

Just hate wiring.

• Members

Years ago I worked in a shop and we built prototype stuff. The boss bought a router and this was probably the coolest thing since sliced cheese. No etch, no punch. Put the schematic in the program and click and zip. Nice board!

That was 14 years ago, so I bet the entry level stuff is all USB and $199 a pop now.

• Members

Originally posted by jfricker

Years ago I worked in a shop and we built prototype stuff. The boss bought a router and this was probably the coolest thing since sliced cheese. No etch, no punch. Put the schematic in the program and click and zip. Nice board!

That was 14 years ago, so I bet the entry level stuff is all USB and $199 a pop now.

We have one of those are work. As far as I know they still go for about $5000 new (or more). Used you sometimes find them for $1k to $3k on ebay. Still haven't convinced my wife we need one at home yet.

• Members

Originally posted by sirhcathome

I actually use EXPRESSPCB (think it is
www.expresspcb.com
) they do 2 sided, plate through holes, 3 boards for about $56. They have the software to put down the bits, it works great, not cheap but no chemical spills or drilling issues.

They are a great source and pretty well repsected.

There are lots of other alternatives that offer ridiculously low prices.

Check out the ads in Nuts and Volts magazine. And if you get a chance, subscribe too. Lot's of stupid "robotics" stuff in each issue, but plenty of analog electronics too.

http://www.nutsvolts.com/

• Members

Go the etched board in almost all cases. I've got access for now to a bench-mounted drill (with a footswitch/camera) so drilling isn't as much of a problem.

I built a G2 midi controller over christmas and figured that it wouldn't be too horrible to build on a modified IC-happy vero board since the workshop was closed. After that experience, I'd like to dissociate myself from any such opinions.

http://www.rattus.net/~packrat/audio/pages/g2-cont/

Etch, etch, etch. :thu:

I'm just laying out the board for the next version which will have 1 or 2 static ram chips. I go trembly at the thought of all the wires to get the databus happy.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by mumford

I don't mind the etching, but the drilling is a pain.

dremel + dentist drill

regular handhelds drills and crappy steel bits make it hard to do a good job

• Members

Originally posted by Ray18

dremel + dentist drill

Or a drill press. Even a dremel mini-press.

Can't imagine drilling a board with a hand drill.

• Members

I use a spray etch tank.

Had a devil of a time with drilling, as I might have to do hundreds of holes just big enough for #30 wire to go through. Without breaking lots of bits. Added a vacuum hold-down onto my drill press, so that as soon as the bit heads for the board, the vacuum kicks in, sucks the board down solid so it won't wiggle, and the hole is done with no bit breakage. As soon as the bit leaves the board, the board is let loose, ready to be adjusted to the next hole.

The original chuck assy' had too much play, so I glued a small chuck onto an VCR cylinder motor. Good enough speed & torque, and no play in them bearings.

• Members

So you would rather spend $10,000 for a machine than send it out for someone else to manufacture for $200 ?

However............

Being that that is a ROUTER, perhaps it can also be programmed to DRILL all of the holes as well? Then it would be worth the money. You could go into production.

Press n' Pee; Blue also looks cool.

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

• Members

Originally posted by Ray18

dremel + dentist drill

I buy resharpened dremel bits from Drill Bity City then chuck them in my drill press. It works really well. A lot of them break, but I can get 8 or 10 resharpened ones for the cost of a new one, so I come out on top.

Still, I just don't really enjoy drilling 85 holes.

• Members

Originally posted by techristian

So you would rather spend $10,000 for a machine than send it out for someone else to manufacture for $200 ?

However............

Being that that is a ROUTER, perhaps it can also be programmed to DRILL all of the holes as well? Then it would be worth the money. You could go into production.

Press n' Pee; Blue also looks cool.

Dan

The one we have drills and cuts out the boards too. It's great for when you need a board fast

T-tech

Archived