DIY guitar strings ?

Like many things in DIY-land, it's much cheaper to just BUY the darned things... but saving money isn't really what DIY is all about. It's more about a fun project, the satisfaction of building it yourself (and knowing HOW TO FIX IT if it should happen to die on you - don't discount the value of that!), as well as the ability to customize and build what you specifically want.

But buying a string winder and making your own strings? That takes it to new extremes of "not cost effective or worth the time and hassle" IMO. ;)

• Members

If you've got a double locking trem, you could get away with buying spools of "musical instrument wire" from a wire manufacturer.

I looked into this a few years ago when I came across the stuff in a vendor's catalogue. It worked out to be around $0.50 per complete string change (all six strings).

I couldn't be arsed though.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Like many things in DIY-land, it's much cheaper to just BUY the darned things... but saving money isn't really what DIY is all about.

True!

But buying a string winder and making your own strings? That takes it to new extremes of "not cost effective or worth the time and hassle" IMO.
;)

Also true. But someday I should dig out the pics of the fishing line/weedeater cord string winder I made out of Lego when I was 15

;)

Also true. But someday I should dig out the pics of the fishing line/weedeater cord string winder I made out of Lego when I was 15

I have more problems with weedeaters than I care to admit, and I hate dealing with winding line - if you ever go into production on that, let me know - I'll buy one. ;):D

• Members

I have more problems with weedeaters than I care to admit, and I hate dealing with winding line - if you ever go into production on that, let me know - I'll buy one.
;):D

;)

Is there a future for self-wound nylon strings, though?

Doubtful. The strings sounded horrible, the plank of rotten barn wood i put them on sounded horrible, and the piezo buzzer element I embedded into it for electrification sounded horrible.

Oh, and I played it through a horrible sounding Quantum Terminator 25R.

But it was fun!

I've got plans for a Lego pickup winder that I drew up a number of years ago, I just haven't done anything with it yet :(

Archived