should we have a "beginner" project or "forum special"?

RoboPimp

• Members

Like some of the other DIY forums...

a simple fuzz or booster tutorial and maybe something we all work on together like a booster/dirt/trem pedal or delay/modulation/filter.

I can help with graphics, and being a "beta tester" or just here for someone to bounce ideas off of.

I know we have the talent here!

• Members

this all sounds really cool, except the flip flop multiplexer part, I dunno wot that means.

Originally posted by CS Jones

I'm slowly patching together a fully picture loaded Tuna Melt rehouse. It's been a lot more work than I imagined and I am under some pretty strict time constraints but it might be worth it since so many people look to have this done.

It can cover such areas of understanding as

1) working with a power supply

2) buffers (what they are and what they aren't)

3) seeing how one type of bi-state flip flop is used to open and close the gates of a mulitplexer

4) signal tracking/routing

5) solder techniques for sensitive PCBs

and other things.

It would be cool to eventually get around to a project to help guys recognize and work with different factory installed electronic switching arrangements since so much of the work they pay to have others do for them deals so specifically with this kind of thing. It's "non-signal" related so we won't have to worry about violating IP. We can work around the actual circuits (without exposing them) and just deal with ways of extracting the labyrinth of switching from the effect itself.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

this all sounds really cool, except the flip flop multiplexer part, I dunno wot that means.

A flip flop is a logic device (i.e. digital) that can alternate between logic states depending on the input. If flips and flops between 0 and 1 (or 0 & 5volts or other voltages depending on the chip).

You can set a flip flop up to change state based on a button press. This is how most of the solid state bypasses work. The foot switch toggles the flip flop state, and the flip flop drives the LED and routes the signal through the effect or around it.

There's more details to it of course, but that's the basics.

• Members

Originally posted by CS Jones

I'm slowly patching together a fully picture loaded Tuna Melt rehouse. It's been a lot more work than I imagined and I am under some pretty strict time constraints but it might be worth it since so many people look to have this done.

It can cover such areas of understanding as

1) working with a power supply

2) buffers (what they are and what they aren't)

3) seeing how one type of bi-state flip flop is used to open and close the gates of a mulitplexer

4) signal tracking/routing

5) solder techniques for sensitive PCBs

and other things.

It would be cool to eventually get around to a project to help guys recognize and work with different factory installed electronic switching arrangements since so much of the work they pay to have others do for them deals so specifically with this kind of thing. It's "non-signal" related so we won't have to worry about violating IP. We can work around the actual circuits (without exposing them) and just deal with ways of extracting the labyrinth of switching from the effect itself.

Agree that this would be a great project. Your ideas of re-housing Danolectro pedals (incredible bang for the buck) was a great one.

Archived