correct way to adjust morley ecv trimpots

twangman

• Members

hi,i recently got a morley chrome echo,chorus,vibrato.the echo was working fine,the chorus seemed weak.i started fooling around with the four trimpots and now i have no effects,chorus signal passes but no effect,turning the echo mix knob yields silence.it was working before.any tips on how to bring effects back? thanks for your time.

• Members

sorry about that,i was able to figure it out.by the way the morley has 5 trimpots.i was able to dial it back in starting with echo,this pedal will self-oscillate.it was fooled with by someone before me but now sounds much better than when received.sounds great,thanks again.

• Members

sorry about that,i was able to figure it out.by the way the morley has 5 trimpots.i was able to dial it back in starting with echo,this pedal will self-oscillate.it was fooled with by someone before me but now sounds much better than when received.sounds great,thanks again.

Those pedals are pretty cool. :thu:

Glad you got it sounding better!

• 6 years later...
  • Members

So you can actually adjust the trim pots on the pedal to change how the pedal responds? I recently purchased a Morley ECV on ebay and the sounds it produces is horrible. No extended delay, and no awesome sweeping ability when the foot pedal is moved up and down. I have been playing my bandmates Morley for several years now and the sounds I get out of his pedal are incredible, which I why I bought myself one. Any input on how to get this thing sounding like a champ again would be great appreciated since I want to avoid taking it to a shop. Thanks.

• Members

That thread you responded to is 7 years old.

I don't advise messing with any trim pots on the circuits boards. Many of them are there to set specific voltages on chips and are very sensitive. If you mess with them you may never get back proper operation. Setting them properly requires a factory service manual an possibly a scope. Jacking with them can lead to extremely odd behavior or even component failure.

Way back before I was trained in electronics I had an Electro Harmonix Flanger. It started going out on me so I jacked with the pots. I later found the problem was a cracked solder joint and after fixing that I was never able to get the pots synced the way they should have been.

Since then I got a degree in electronics and work on allot of gear that required fine adjustments like that, you know better then to mess with pots that have a dab of red Loctite on them. It means there is no reason to adjust that component any more than you would just go in there and start changing resistors. They used a variable resistor then locked it because a set resistor didn't compensate for the circuits tolerances. They could have gone the extra step, found the proper resistance using a pot then replaced it with a resistor so it couldn't be tweaked, but they would have to do that for every pedal they built. Instead thay used a factory setup procedure that built one adjustment upon another and if you mess with one it throws them all out of whack. Qualified techs can readjust these pots to account for tolerance drift as well. Circuits often have caps that change value over time and if the company is still in business they can recalibrate the circuits to run right or work with newer chip upgrades.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived