My DIY Marshall 1960 4x12 Replica

theDogger

• Members

Thought that I would post my DIY build of a Marshall Slant 1960 4x12. Here is the PDF of the plans that I followed. I used Baltic Birch 13 ply voidless sheets. (I am also looking for some Marshall 1936 2x12 plans. Have enough wood to build a 2nd cab).

I will up date the thread as I move along. I should mention that I am fortunate enough to have access to a master cabinet builder. My brother-in-law's father-in-law. The guy is just plain awesome. He has done most of the cutting and is assisting in the assembly. (Keeps telling me the assembly is monkeys work :D )

Here is my build sheet: Gear_Build

Input 1 - 8 Ohm (2-Greenbacks)

Input 2 - 8 Ohm (2-G12T)

Input 3 - 16 Ohm (all 4 speakers)

Good cab wiring info here http://www.jumbosunshade.com/ezine/swd4.htm

swd4-4_16ohm_parallel_parallelseries.jpg

the cab joints will be held together with biscuits. Here is are some shot of the first days build..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

More to come...

theDogger

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Question....Is it good practice to combine such different wattage speakers? He is my reason for asking. I will have the 4x12 loaded on top w/ 2-Greenbacks (25watts) and on the bottom 2-G12T(75watts). Now the max wattage is determined by the lowest wattage.....so will the higher watt G12T's be affect much because of the lowest amount of wattage can be used?

Would I be better off loading the 4x12 w/ 4-G12T's and then load the 2x12 w/ the 2-Greenbacks?

or

loading the 4x12 w/2-V30's and 2-G12T's and then the 2x12 w/2-G12T's

Hope that made sense..

I am not able to work on the CAB until next weekend. I'll post more pics then of the 2-cabs

theDogger

• Members

:idea:

Obviously you can wire it how you want, just thought I'd point that out.
:cop:

Right but Marshall's only have 2 options this gives me 3 option.

1-8 Ohms (2-greenbacks)

1-8 Ohms (2-G12T75)

4-16 Ohms (All 4)

theDogger

• Members

Ok since I am not able to work on the cabs this week end I decided to burn the speakers in. I created a 50 mhz - 60 mhz sine wave that run for 30 min then I repeat it. I hooked up 4 of the G12T75 to the stereo and I am going to let it run for 8 hrs today and 4 hours tomorrow to really loosen up the spiders and break them in.

I still have not bought my last 2 speakers. Looking at the following....

Eminence Red Fang

Eminence Wizard

Celestion G12 Greenbacks

Warehouse Green Beret

theDogger

• Members
Ok since I am not able to work on the cabs this week end I decided to burn the speakers in. I created a 50 mhz - 60 mhz sine wave that run for 30 min then I repeat it. I hooked up 4 of the G12T75 to the stereo and I am going to let it run for 8 hrs today and 4 hours tomorrow to really loosen up the spiders and break them in.

Eminence Red Fang

Eminence Wizard

Celestion G12 Greenbacks

Warehouse Green Beret

theDogger

Doing a great job, I recommend the greenies, I have [3] 4-12 cabs, but my favorite is a 78' Marshall Chequerboard 4-12 w/G12M "Blackbacks" [same as greenbacks], with my 78' JMP MK II 2203 those 25 watt speakers really do the talking.:love::love::love::love::love:

• Members

Ok since I am not able to work on the cabs this week end I decided to burn the speakers in. I created a
50 mhz - 60 mhz
sine wave that run for 30 min then I repeat it. I hooked up 4 of the G12T75 to the stereo and I am going to let it run for 8 hrs today and 4 hours tomorrow to really loosen up the spiders and break them in.

Eminence Red Fang

Eminence Wizard

Celestion G12 Greenbacks

Warehouse Green Beret

theDogger

Lol wut?

• Members

Lol wut?

New from the factory all speakers are harsh sounding due the Spider being stiff. By running a looping sine wave that vibrates the spider. It loosen up the spider basically breaking in the speaker quicker.

So a progressing sine wave from 50-60 mhz looping for 8 hr periods 3 time really loosens up the spider and gets the speaker broken very quick.

Basically the same thing that Avatar does with the HellaTone Speakers and charges you more.

theDogger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok finally got a chance to work on the 4x12. Got as far as I could without the tolex and grill cloth. That should be here mid-week. Tomorrow I am going to cut the pieces for the 2x12. It is coming along well. Here are some more shots.

JPhoenix19 here is what I am using for tolex and grill cloth

http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/servlet/the-207/Mesa-Boogie-black-leather/Detail

the Grill cloth

http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/servlet/the-227/Marshall-%22Salt-%26-Pepper%22/Detail

I bought most all my accessories form speaker builders supply. Corner, tolex, grill cloth, fastners....

pic07.jpg

pic08.jpg

pic09.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic11.jpg

more to come stay tuned...

theDogger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got a chance to paint and cover the speaker baffle. Here is a shot of the finished product. The salt&Pepper was a little tough working with but got it straightened out. But the damn pics looks like it is not straight...

44.png

Going to have to wait until next weekend for a finished product. With Easter this weekend no time to work on it. All that is left to do is the round over on the edges. Then I can Tolex the entire cab and stuff it with the speakers and look out neighbors! :devil: I will also post he pics og the Marshall 1936 that I am also building.

theDogger

Archived