DIY 2 x 12 guitar cabinet.

Shmekeldorf

• Members

I was thinking about building my own 2 x 12 guitar cabinet. I will have no problem building the box, but i have looked at many DIY's and they don't explain how to wire the speakers, and i assume that you need a power cable of some sort as well. I found this web page http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/2x12wiring.html I need my cab to be 8 ohms, so i think the one i want is the first diagram where it says "Speakers in Parallel." And i would use Two 16 ohm speakers.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That is a great resource you found that and it will help you very much even into the future. You will not need any power cords so that is not a worry.

To end up with an 8 ohm cab you have two options. One is to go with the parallel scheme you have seen with 2 16 ohm speakers and that will get you there. The other thing that you could do it use 2 4 ohm speakers in series and that will give you 8 ohms in the end as well.

Here is another generic page on Shavanos site that you might find helpful:

Generic Speaker Wiring

Now in the process of doing this have you decided what kind of cabinet you are going to be doing, i.e. open or closed back cabinet. Just as a food for thought there are some more specific variables that need to be taken into consideration, such as total volume of the cabinet vs. optimal frequency resonance of the speakers and how they will interact with either other.

Any other questions feel free to ask and welcome to DIY land, and be warned it is an addictive habit once you get started.

• Members

Another welcome. I went series with two 4 ohm speakers only because I'm a cheap b@$t@%d and found some used speakers on Evilbay. Sound wise there isn't an appreciable difference between the two alternatives. I vote open back but that's what I like. It also negates the cab size issue. You can build it any size that's convenient. Within reason of course.

• Members

Open backed are good for drummers on stage because that can hear the back of the amp.

It also gets rid of some boomyness and accentuates the middels.

The type of speakers used and how many watts you're pushing can have a big effect too.

• Members

http://avatarspeakers.com/

This link for avatar gives good info. I think if I did a closed back cab I'd just copy their measurements and call it a day. This may not be ideal for all speakers but it's close. They claim you can accentuate different frequencies by opening different parts of the cabinet back. Frinstance they claim mids and higs can be brought out by leaving the center portion of the back open and closing up the top and bottom. Is this going to make a noticeable difference? I'm getting a bit more bass than I like, so I'm curious if this is a quick and dirty fix. Yes, I know, get the right speakers. Aint in the budget right now. Free is.

• Members

I just finished building two 2x12 cabs and even tolexed one of them. The other one, I'm yet to find time to. I made a quick youtube video with the pics I took. Let me know if its of any use to you. FWIW, the second cab took only a fraction of the time it took to build the other one. Next up, I'm gonna build a pair of Thiele cabs. :)

cheers

• Members

FWIW, the second cab took only a fraction of the time it took to build the other one. Next up, I'm gonna build a pair of Thiele cabs.
:)

Funny how that works. Gets even faster when you build 2 at the same time.

• Members

Figured i'd hop in on this thread rather than start my own as I'm in a similar situation as the OP.

Just finished building my cab today, waiting on my speaker.....so my question,

-the 1/4 inch jack socket..is this just the same type as i'd find on my bass?

like this ebest24bj91em.jpg

-what type of hookup wire should i use to connect my speaker to said 1/4 inch jack socket?

thanks for any help, i can see this diy stuff being addictive!!

this is where i'm at now :)

101_0227.jpg

• Members

Yes, same jack. I use lamp cord for my speaker projects as I have a veritable plethora of it in my packrat stash. 18 awg. is more than enough for what you're doing. Got a bad toaster? Rob the wire. Same wire is used for the speaker wire to your amp. Anything unshielded wil work. 20 awg. would probably work, but that's getting on the thin side. 16 awg. IMO, is ideal. Anything fatter gets hard to solder.

• Members

I came over to DIY from FX to ask about modifying my 2x12" to switchable mono/stereo. That link the op posted seems to have everything I need :thu:

also, anyone have any recomendations on where/which site to get grill cloth?

• Members

I came over to DIY from FX to ask about modifying my 2x12" to switchable mono/stereo. That link the op posted seems to have everything I need
:thu:

also, anyone have any recomendations on where/which site to get grill cloth?

I get my tolex and grill cloth from Mojo http://www.mojotone.com they also have a good selection of handles and other hardware. I use these a lot for my

Archived